2x12 cabs vs 4x12 cabs

Nebulous

Daniel
Dec 14, 2003
Brookfield, VIC, Australia
Hey guys.
I've got a simple question for anyone with experience with these:
Is there a huge difference in sound between 2x12 cabs compared to 4x12 cabs (when mic'd up and live)?

I'm looking at getting a new JSX w/ Mesa Recto and was thinking that if the difference isn't huge id rather have a 2x12 since it's more compact (to fit in my VW Golf easier) and cheaper.

All help is appreciated. I will hopefully try both cabs, if possible here in Oz, but i'd like to know what to expect as small details can sometimes go unnoticed in shops, and I woun't have the chance to mic it up and listen as closely as i'd like to.

Cheers people.

Daniel

Honestly, I find 2x12 cabinets to sound just as badass! The 4x12's definately move more air, and I prefer them live, but the 2x12's have a bit of added tightness and compression, in my experience, which I like.

I like some 2x12's just as much as I do 4x12's. although I really didn't like the mesa rectifier 2x12 because it had a really slow low end response compared to traditional sized 4x12's like a marshall. I like the marshall 2x12 quite a bit (except for the speakers..hehehe). I tried an Orange 2x12 and it was just waaay too sloppy.

other than those two I tried that I didn't like, I've had good experiences with 2x12's. plus if you like experimenting with different speakers, you would only hae to buy 2 instead of 4 ;)

Yeah, true - the cab makes a huge difference. I've never liked any Mesa cabs at all (I play live more than I record, so the in-the-room tone is more important than a mic'd up tone for me in that aspect, and Mesa's don't even sound all that much better mic'd up to me). I prefer Marshall styled cabinets with V30's any day of the week.

Sorry, semi hijack.

I'm getting the impression that marshall 2x12 would be pretty good if I want something very chunky and tight. (wouldn't even need balls, that's what my mesa's for :D) What do you all think?

Sinister Mephisto said:
Sorry, semi hijack.

I'm getting the impression that marshall 2x12 would be pretty good if I want something very chunky and tight. (wouldn't even need balls, that's what my mesa's for :D) What do you all think?
yes. the marshall 2x12 (1936 I believe) is a very tight cab. I wouldn't say necessarily tighter than the 1960A/B, but indeed quite tight. nice low frequency resonance for that and justice for all kind of chunk.

my only complaint are the G12t75 speakers they come with. very tight speaker but just kind of dry to my ears. probably the tighest metal speaker I've ever played through however. substantially tighter than the V30's I'm guessing your mesa is loaded with.

EDIT: did I say "tight" enough times? must be a freudian slip.

Moonlapse said:
Do most cabs come in 2x12 variations?

I'd be particularily interested in the Marshall 1960A and ENGL Standard (V60 loaded).
unfortunately not most. the notable ones I can think of though are:
VHT fat bottom
marshall 1936(?) - similar to a 1960a/b but 1/2 the size.
mesa rectifier standard 2x12 (bassy like the larger mesa cabs)
orange 2x12

all of those are pretty similar to their 4x12 brothers in my experience.

Cheers, thanks. The amount of times 'tight' was mentioned in conjunction with 'dry' is making me salivate even more.

What would you say, off the top of your head, the main differences between the 1960A and 1936 cabs would be? I love the dry sound, and am not one for mid-rich saturation.

Anyone tried the 2x12 Carvin Legacy extension cabs? I've no interest in the amps whatsoever, but there's something about that metal-grille-over-oxblood-baffle look that really catches my eye. And they already have two V30s stock, so they have that goin' for 'em...

Moonlapse said:

I'd be particularily interested in the Marshall 1960A and ENGL Standard (V60 loaded).

as far as I remember, there are vertical 212-versions of the ENGL Standard (V60) and Vintage (V30). they also make a horizontal V30 212 (the 212VH, I use it)

Moonlapse said:

I've got an ENGL 2x12 (Vertical, with V60s), as well as a Marshall 1960A. The ENGL has maybe a lil less low end, but it's tighter, and has a meaner mid-range. Less top end fizziness compared to the 1960A too.

One day I'll get my fat arse to a music store to buy another speaker cable, and try running them together... I get a feeling they'll work together nicely. :)

iekobrid said:
Anyone tried the 2x12 Carvin Legacy extension cabs? I've no interest in the amps whatsoever, but there's something about that metal-grille-over-oxblood-baffle look that really catches my eye. And they already have two V30s stock, so they have that goin' for 'em...

These are actually really badass cabs for a very nice price. I've tried them out on numerous occaisions with a Recto and 5150.