3 Clips, 3 Amps - You match 'em

sah5150

Sep 8, 2005
Ok, here's a little experiment. I have here three clips of part of one tune. Each clip is the exact same thing reamped through a different amp. The amps used were:

Mesa Mark IV
5150II (Rhythm channel boosted w/modded TS9)
VHT UL

Your mission (should you choose to accept it) is to match each clip to the amp it was recorded with and tell me which you prefer and why...

And, yes, I know the drums suck. They are just there for mix reference...

And yes, I know one of the clips was gated too aggressively with my Decimator on the stops, but I couldn't fix it with out reamping again and I don't have time now...

The clips:

http://members.cox.net/sahbob/ampone.mp3
http://members.cox.net/sahbob/amptwo.mp3
http://members.cox.net/sahbob/ampthree.mp3

Have fun...

Steve

EDIT:

Reverb has been removed from all clips
New clip added that is a mix of a couple amps:

http://members.cox.net/sahbob/ampmix.mp3

I would say ampone is 5150 and is by the far the best (but please, don't put reverb on rhythm guitars !!!).
Between Amptwo and ampthree, I don't know which one is the Mesa and the VHT, but they both sound terrible...

Amp 1 is definately the 5150. The other 2 sound nearly the same to me and I dont like them. I think the 5150 tone could be improved alot as well. What cab do you use? And which mics?

GuitarMaestro said:
Amp 1 is definately the 5150. The other 2 sound nearly the same to me and I dont like them. I think the 5150 tone could be improved alot as well. What cab do you use? And which mics?

Schecter Hellraiser 7 string on bridge pickup (EMG 707) ->

Keeley-modded TS-9 ->
Drive - 10 o'clock
Tone - 10:30
Level - 1 o'clock

5150II ->
Rhythm Channel
Bright in
Crunch in
Pre - 7.4
Low - 6.8
Mid - 4
High - 6.3
Post - 3.4
Resonance - 8.2
Presence - 8.5

Mojave 4x12 w/G12H30s ->

Audix I5 ->
SM57 ->
Both mics about an inch or so from dead center of one speaker

Recorder

There were two different physical guitar performances, each of which was reamped and mic'd with both mics. Performance one of each mic was panned hard left. Performance two of each mic was panned hard right.

All guitars bussed to the Waves C4 using a tweaked version of Andy's posted setting, a gate for noise and then out to the monitors. Added a small room reverb to drums and guitars and that is it.

Hmm....the settings you posted and your micing technique should yield a great sound for the 5150. Either the "G12H30s" sound bad (never used them) or your mic placement is bad. Try placing the mic with closed headphones for monitoring....the reamp box is the ideal tool here to let the amp play for itself while you place the mic....

I'd bet my grandmother that clip 1 is the fitty, and is def. the tone I prefer of the 3.

The other two are very similar sounding, and if one of those is a MKIV, it's one of the shittiest MKIV clips I've heard because those amps are delicious when dialed in proper.

EtherForBreakfast said:
I'd bet my grandmother that clip 1 is the fitty, and is def. the tone I prefer of the 3.

The other two are very similar sounding, and if one of those is a MKIV, it's one of the shittiest MKIV clips I've heard because those amps are delicious when dialed in proper.

I agree that the MKIV was dialed in poorly. It can sound WAY better than that, but that was what I had at this point...

Steve

GuitarMaestro said:
Hmm....the settings you posted and your micing technique should yield a great sound for the 5150. Either the "G12H30s" sound bad (never used them) or your mic placement is bad. Try placing the mic with closed headphones for monitoring....the reamp box is the ideal tool here to let the amp play for itself while you place the mic....

Yeah, the reamp box is great for this. What specifically are you hearing that you don't like on the 5150 clip. That would help me when experimenting again. It sounds pretty good to me and is the one I prefer of the three...

Steve

Yeah, the reamp box is great for this. What specifically are you hearing that you don't like on the 5150 clip. That would help me when experimenting again. It sounds pretty good to me and is the one I prefer of the three...

It sounds quite hollow and thin to me with too much buzz/fizz and not enough basic tone/definition/body....But if you are happy with it thats what counts....

GuitarMaestro said:
It sounds quite hollow and thin to me with too much buzz/fizz and not enough basic tone/definition/body....But if you are happy with it thats what counts....

Well, I thought clip 1 sounded ok, but it isn't the end of my quest in terms of this kind of tone by any means. Maybe I'm nuts, but I really like the sound of Decapitated's guitars on Nihility. Especially the song "Spheres of Madness". If I could get close to that I'd be happy... I'm looking to improve, so all opinions (yes, even :puke: ) help me..

Thanks!

Steve

Well, if im honest, something doesnt sound quite right, and like GuitarMaestro said previously, you should be getting alot better results with those settings you described. To me, its sound like the speaker is breaking up way too much, perhaps its torn, not sure.. do you have access to any other speakers?

Familia><Publica said:
Well, if im honest, something doesnt sound quite right, and like GuitarMaestro said previously, you should be getting alot better results with those settings you described. To me, its sound like the speaker is breaking up way too much, perhaps its torn, not sure.. do you have access to any other speakers?

Hmmm... I can check the speakers... I'd be surprised if anything was wrong with them though since I have been getting great results for other types of music... Maybe its the fact that these are G12H30s and they are not as suited to this kind of music... I was thinking about replacing a couple of speakers in my recording cab to have some different recording options so maybe I'll try a V30 and something else and see what happens then....

Thanks,

Steve

There's a lack of body in the three clip imo. Could this be caused by standing waves in the iso box? It would be interesting to hear it outside of the box.