3 part vocal harmonies?

DerrickC

New Metal Member
Sep 10, 2001
Just a quick comment / question for the band, based on the recent Into Eternity show I attended here in Edmonton. First of all, I'd like to make it clear, that this was a very enjoyable live performance, and IE was sounding as good as or better than I have ever heard them; especially impressive being Stu's lead vocals / high notes. :headbang:

However, it is concerning vocals that I had my only real disapointment, and thus my question: Why are some of the cooler moments of IE's clean vocals being done live as two part harmonies now, rather than the expected three? Especially disapointing was my all time favorite IE tune: Shallow, the clean chorus of which is now being sung as a 'duet' with Tim and Stu. Should Troy not be joining in on this chorus to give it that extra special harmony sound that it typically had live in previous performances? I guess I considered that 'barber shop' like sound a trademark of Live IE, thus my disapointment in its absence.

Derrick.

dead6skin6mask6 said:
well... he was probably overcoming the illness and didn't sing... or maybe he doesn't sing... or can't sing... or something lol

Good point. The illness thing was actually an answer I was hoping to hear, as opposed to a conscious decision to take that element out of their live sound.

'He can't sing' doesn't seem to be the case though, since I'm pretty sure I did hear him doing some selective clean back up vocals on a few tunes, which sounded just fine to my ears, but just not for the tunes I was most hoping to hear that on, such as Shallow: "I fail to perceive or understa - aaa - and!"

Or maybe it's a case of Troy singing while playing more complex bass lines being just too tough live, which I also totally respect. I'm just wondering, is all. :)

lord of pain said:
If your refering to the B I O album vox compared to live
don't ,,completley different line up
Tim/Stu/Troy do just fine and Rob's growls cleanest in Metal

Yeah, I'm well aware of their recent line-up changes. I've been a fan of this band since before the release of Dead or Dreaming, having heard them live a number of times since that period. It's more so the Dead or Deaming material that felt somewhat vocally lacking live, in this most recent show, than the Burried in Obliviion tunes, which didn't rely as much on the 3 part clean vocal harmonies.

As for growls, while that's not my prefered vocal style, I fully agree that the band is doing an amazing job of making that kind of vocal sound good to me. :)

Derrick.

No official response?

I didn't mean any sort of insult, I was just wondering, as a fan, if I could expect to hear again some of those amazing 3 part clean vocal harmonies that blew me away so much live with previous IE line-ups. Even if only for Shallow; that song's brilliant chorus so deserves it. :headbang:

hey man, its troy here, i'm sorry bout your dissapointment in regards to the vocals...in all honesty singing harmonies is a skill that i'm still currently learning...i enjoy the challenge of something new, but being the fact i enjoy a challenge means that the challenge will be met in the jam spot... i'd love to belt out perfect harmonies live on stage, but i've learned that especially in a 3 or 4 part harmony if one person is off, the whole harmony is off...if i'm not entirely confident in a part, i'd rather it be sung well minus a harmony than an attempted harmony that makes the entire part off key. Working with Stu and Tim has opened my eyes to a new level of musicianship in regards to vocals, through their continued co-opperation i assure you the vocal harmony gaps will be filled in...one gap at a time...\m/...starting with your moms...and that one between your teeth.

ha!

troy :headbang:

chaoskin said:
Working with Stu and Tim has opened my eyes to a new level of musicianship in regards to vocals, through their continued co-opperation i assure you the vocal harmony gaps will be filled in...one gap at a time...\m/

Thanks for that response Troy, you ROCK! Good luck with the gap filling, and know that I'll be there rooting for you in future Edmonton IE shows. :headbang:

Derrick.