3 seven string guitars for comparaison - pick your favourite !!

pifos_2

des scoubidoubidous wha !
Jan 15, 2007
Netherlands
www.myspace.com
3 guitars :

- Ibanez RG 1527 (Royal Blue/new model/5 pieces neck) with one DiMarzio DSonic in the bridge

- Ibanez RG 1527 (Cosmo Black/a bit older model/3 pieces neck) with one Seymour Duncan SH4-7 (Jeff Beck) in the bridge

- Jackson COW 7 with one EMG 707

I just played 2 old riffs pretty badly. It is a 6505 into a Randall XL cabinet. One sm57 into the firepod.
The aim is just TO PICK THE GUITAR that we will use for tracking all the DIs. I'll reamp afterwards.

The file (6mb/mp3 in 320 kbps) : http://rapidshare.com/files/139779425/7string_compare.zip.html

Yesterday, my pick was the Ibanez with the Duncan. Now I am just confused and I think they sound more or less the same...

The Duncan seems to have more body. But it can sound muddy in the faster bits.

WHAT IS YOUR choice ??? :headbang:

Wow, to me the Ibanez with the Dimarzio sounds the best by a long shot. The SD is way too muddy and the Jackson clip is very thin and brittle for my tastes. It would be interesting to see people's reactions to the tones without knowing what the gear was so they were not biased right out of the gate.

Ibanez with Dimarzio wins for me, but if they all sound damn usable, which one feels the best and inspires you to play your best, Is there another guitar player that will be playing parts on the same guitar for continuity purposes, which does he prefer ?

1) DiMarzio
2) 707
3) SH4

I would record 2 DI using the Ibanez w/ DiMarzio and 2 using the Jackson (if you're going to quadtrack)... I think they could work pretty well together... the 707 is tighter and more defined, while the DiMarzio sounds fuller to me...
Not liking the SH4 really much in this case (muddy and too "pumping" on the palm mutings), probably the amp needed different settings to suit that guitar.
Really interesting comparison btw, thanks a lot.

What DiMarzio model is that?

1) DiMarzio
2) 707
3) SH4

I would record 2 DI using the Ibanez w/ DiMarzio and 2 using the Jackson (if you're going to quadtrack)... I think they could work pretty well together... the 707 is tighter and more defined, while the DiMarzio sounds fuller to me...
Not liking the SH4 really much in this case (muddy and too "pumping" on the palm mutings), probably the amp needed different settings to suit that guitar.
Really interesting comparison btw, thanks a lot.

What DiMarzio model is that?

you got a point, I should have got better settings for that guitar.

It is the DiMarzio DSonic.

1. Dimarzio
2. 707
3. SH4

Before you decide you should try the EMG 81-7. It sounds so much better than the 707 and it has that 81 growl that I love...

I'd recommend a Blackout Bridge over an EMG 81-7.. I have switched all of my EMGs for Blackouts now and don't regret it in the slightest. The JB-7 also doesn't sound very good in basswood bodies I find, its really undefined and flubby.. the DiMarzio Ibanez sounds better.

I'd recommend a Blackout Bridge over an EMG 81-7.. I have switched all of my EMGs for Blackouts now and don't regret it in the slightest. The JB-7 also doesn't sound very good in basswood bodies I find, its really undefined and flubby.. the DiMarzio Ibanez sounds better.

Interesting. Have to check them blackouts out. Thanks for the tip.

Im in the minority but I really like the sound of the Duncan. I'm going for a different, darker tone that the 'Clayman' tone that's really popular (which is a really beautiful tone). I would make some adjustments so that the bottom wasn't as overwhelming but I like it a lot. I'd like to hear the 707 combined with the Duncan. This comparison makes me want to grab a Schecter C7 Blackjack with the Duncan's in it to go with my ESP 607B with a 707.

BTW, I did this test blind. I loaded them into iTunes, minimized the screen and then listened...

Not a guitarist, so totally unbiased as to what guitars are good or not, but also not very knowledgable about a 'good' tone.

I dont like the Jackson. Sounds too, isolated? Like the highs are there and the lows are there but they sound separate. The other tones sound like more of a full sound.

DiMarzio is my favourite, a little brighter than the Duncan and has more character, imo.

So... as it was obvious the DiMarzio was clearer and had more definition.... we took this route for the rythms...
For the lead work, we choose the Duncan.

We'll hear more about this when I start to reamp :)