4 microphones for cab, or 3 or 2 ?

Norsk Metall

New Metal Member
Jan 13, 2008
Norway, up north.
Hi folks.

some questions here.

1. Thinking about getting 1 x MD421 II, 2 x SM57s, and maybe a Royer 121 for my cab. Too much mics ? Or I may not need a Royer ? or maybe even one SM57 and one MD421 could be enough ?

2. shall I sum the mic-channels to only one track? since I probably will have 8 guitar tracks. Or should I record them as 4 independent channels ? (32 channels?)

3. Focusrite ISA 428 for preamp ? or shall I reach up for API-level like 3124 ?

Of course, we are talking of detuned death metal guitar with lots of palm-muting riffs.
Budget getting tight here...

thanks alot !!!

----------------------------------------
gear: Krank Revolution, LTD MHB400 Baritone w/EMGS, Avalon U5. ADAM A7 w/sub. Logic 8.

If I were you, I'd experiment with only 1 mic(propably the 57) first. if you think you lack something(bass for example), add the 421 maybe. Usually the simplest way is the best. that's just my experience and my 0,02€

ok. cool, thanks Keessi ! Well, havent had much time to experiment with the MD421, just borrowed it one night. But I really want the authentic sound of the amp.
I have read, and also agree that mic-positioning and mictypes are the best EQ. Royer is after all 1300 dollars.