48/2(9+3) = ???

48/2(9+3) = ?

Votes: 73 49.7%

Votes: 74 50.3%

• Total voters
E = mc^2

Some geniuses here would multiply m by c first just because "they are really one entity, because they stand so close to each other, because there is no * sign between them".

What is inside the bracket is what is inside it, not what is inside and right before it.

Good... now i can stop being so nice ! ;)

JeffTD if you can't post a link to some respectable publication, or even a scan from any printed book (preferably approved for teaching in public schools), your extraordinary claims will be just trolling to me.

If you are trolling, then i admit that you trolled me succesfully and for that you deserve a cookie. :)

Are you serious? I learned this crap in 8th grade, I don't have books for it and really don't care if you don't believe me. Saying that there is a "quantity of" concept in mathematics is hardly an extraordinary claim, especially when OTHER PEOPLE IN THE THREAD have stated the same thing and shown how they solved the problem using the exact method I defined?

Here's some sites to help you learn the basic concept of the distributive property that you apparently never learned in basic algebra courses.

http://math.about.com/od/algebra/a/distributive.htm

http://www.purplemath.com/modules/numbprop.htm

http://www.algebrahelp.com/lessons/simplifying/distribution/

E = mc^2

Some geniuses here would multiply m by c first just because "they are really one entity, because they stand so close to each other, because there is no * sign between them".

What is inside the bracket is what is inside it, not what is inside and right before it.

Totally. Different. Fucking. Issue.

If it said E = M(C^2), then you WOULD multiply M by C^2 first because "they really are one entity." If you disagree with that then you can seriously fuck off because YOU are the one trolling.

Totally. Different. Fucking. Issue.

If it said E = M(C^2), then you WOULD multiply M by C first because "they really are one entity." If you disagree with that then you can seriously fuck off because YOU are the one trolling.

Ok now you've got to be trolling.

Are you saying M(C^2) = (MC)^2, or was that a typo?

Ok now you've got to be trolling.

Are you saying M(C^2) = (MC)^2, or was that a typo?

Sorry, the end result would be M*C^2, not MC^2. You just distribute what's on the outside to what's inside the parentheses. What he's using as an example has nothing to do with the original equation is the point I'm trying to make. Even if it were written as M(C^2), it's still a monomial and is isolated from other parts of equations by being the only thing on one side of the equals sign. It does nothing to disprove or prove anything by the distributive property that he's saying is an "extraordinary claim."

I am not saying there is no such thing as distributive property lol... I asked you for a proof of it being higher than "normal" multiplying ad dividing in the order of operations.

And I never said it was higher than multiplication or division, I'm saying it's part of simplification, like we discussed way back on the first page.

Though, judging by what you posted as 'proof' previously, I'm not sure I'm going to ever satisfy your request.

And I never said it was higher than multiplication or division, I'm saying it's part of simplification, like we discussed way back on the first page.

Though, judging by what you posted as 'proof' previously, I'm not sure I'm going to ever satisfy your request.

100% of what you are stating in this thread is basically:

"it is higher (should be calculated before) than the left hand side division"

Dude... seriously if THIS is your proof... then i can safely stop arguing with you, because it is so INVALID that it only makes good comedy out of what you are posting. :)

Thanks for the good entertainment.

48/2(9+3)

1. Inside of parentheses first.

2. Division and multiplication are equal, so from left to right.

3. The 2 and the invisible multiplication sign is outside of parentheses and on the right side of the division sign and as our dear comedian said "I never said it was higher than multiplication or division,", so it is calculated last.

288 baby :)

EOT (maybe except trolling)

None of those links suggests that you should distribute BEFORE a division like you're saying Jeff. Because division and multiplication has the same priority, therefore one should do the operations from left to right instead.
Yes, 2(9+3)=2*9+2*3=24. No one will argue with that. And 2*(9+3)=2*9+2*3=24 also. But because multiplication and division has the same priority in the PEMDAS/PEDMSA/BODMAS/BOMDSA, that everyone throws around, one would do:
48/2(9+3)= 48/2(12)= 24(12)=24*12=288

This is the answer you get when you use any good calculator that prioritize, see my earlier post for examples, which really is the only thing that matters. No one will write a question out like that on paper.

NO
XMsbsz2Ytqjrdd9hLHQpgTrho1_500.jpg

Ok after some lurking around I now think it's not as much ,,programmers vs rest" as ,,US vs Europe" problem. US people say 2, all of them. EU guys go for 288. There's some apparent difference in how they teach algebra in the US from what we get in the EU.

Anyway, there's reason why they use the horizontal line to type fractional problems in books and when handwriting instead of slash used when we type this on a keyboard - they do this to avoid stupid arguments like this. Equations should be explicit, using alot of parentheses is considered as good practice. We should stop arguing about this because all the US guys will keep saying they see 2 and EU guys will do same with 288.

And Jeff, I'm sorry, but only you ,,2" guys were calling the other ,,complete retards" here. It's good to look beyond your own nose from time to time. If there are people saying it's 288 and keep showing valid proofs you really shouldn't drag this on with another namecalling. Both groups are partially right here but again ,,288" guys weren't calling you retards like you did to them.

The first one who had the idea to post threads like that on forums is a pure genius. 9 characters for pages of arguments. We are now at 2 pages of arguments for 3 characters, ratio of 0.66 pages/character. Where will it end ?

Somewhere in the middle of Texas JBroll's math senses are tingling.