48/2(9+3) = ???

48/2(9+3) = ?

Votes: 73 49.7%

Votes: 74 50.3%

• Total voters
I know what this thread needs....

IBTC_webcam_flasher.gif

I just happened to have stated an observation. The ,,2" guys all were from the US, and ,,288" guys were all from the EU. As I said, it's just an observation, not some US vs EU flamewar thing.

I didn't think that you were starting a flamewar, I was just not expecting that at all...

Stupid thread is stupid. The way we are taught algebra here in america, given the equation 48/2(9+3)=x, I think ALL of us Americans would distribute first and simplify that down to 2. We're told to distribute before anything else, I don't know if that's right or not but thats how they teach it here.

The trouble is just that you're distributing wrong.

Jeff

Stop saying "AMERICANS" or "ALL OF US AMERICANS." That's just a completely false and ignorant statement. I've been saying 288 from the get-go. If you don't do math very often, then you probably get 2. "THEY" don't teach that way "HERE."

Yeah, nothing awkward or ambiguous or anything. Math is UNIVERSAL and not open to interpretation. Parenthesis, then left to right. 2(9+3) is the same thing as 2*(9+3). If you have any further comments, please come say hi during school hours where I learn engineering.

A simple exercise.
Just to help you poor 2ers avoid any "ambiguity" in the future:

Convert these vertical fractions to inline "computer" format (a proper use of brackets is not optional - it is MANDATORY).

Code:
a + b
----- =
c + d

b
a + - - d =
    c

a / (b * c)
----------- =
     d

b * c
a / --------- =
    a + d ^ c
Remember that the fraction bar, or vinculum tells you where you absolutely HAVE to put a bracket in the inline format.

Code:
a + b
----- =  [B](a + b) / (c + d)[/B]
c + d

b
a + - - d =  [B]a + (b / c) - d[/B]
    c

a / (b * c)
----------- =  [B][(a / (b * c)] / d[/B]
     d

b * c
a / --------- =  [B]a / [(b * c) / (a + d ^ c)][/B]
    a + d ^ c

That is how I would rewrite the equations, that way there is no confusion on how to solve each equation.

Unnecessary I don't think so, because I made sure that every series of terms was separated so that there was no possible confusion of the order which the equation is solved.

Stupid thread is stupid. The way we are taught algebra here in america, given the equation 48/2(9+3)=x, I think ALL of us Americans would distribute first and simplify that down to 2. We're told to distribute before anything else, I don't know if that's right or not but thats how they teach it here.

Maybe not all Americans but most. I know I was taught to simplify expressions by using the associative property and distributive property. In the equation 48/2(9+3) we clearly see where we can use the distribution property for 2(9+3) which would bring us to 2(9) + 2(3) which brings us to 24. Following PEMDAS would give us something like this

P (solve in parenthesis)
= 48/2(9+3)
= 48/2(12)

E (exponents,)
[there are none]

Now before we can continue we see that we can use the distributive property to simplify

= 48/24

M (multiply)
[now that we have eliminated the multiplication through distribution, we move on]

D (divide)

= 48/24
= 2

So that is where the guys are getting 2 from. We are the ones who where taught that we simplify terms when applicable before moving on, because this particular equation gives us the ability, we use the distributive property to simplify. They guys that got 288 where the ones you used PEMDAS and then simply solved the equation from left to right.

Aslo, due to distributive property, there is a third answer that I have discovered, 8.667. See if you can figure out how I managed to get that one.

Maybe not all Americans but most. I know I was taught to simplify expressions by using the associative property and distributive property.

I don't blame you, it is not your fault.

Without any hostile feelings i just ask you to quote, link, post a scan to any respectable publication saying that it has more weight than PE(MD)(AS).

Code:
a + b
----- =  (a + b) / (c + d)
c + d

b
a + - - d =  a + b / c - d 
    c
(the division is already higher than addition and substraction so no need for a bracket there)

a / (b * c)
----------- =  a / (b * c) / d
     d
(the left hand side division is higher than the right hand side division so again no need for a bracket)

b * c
a / --------- =  a / [(b * c) / (a + d ^ c)]
    a + d ^ c

You guys are putting way too much thought into this.

48/2(9+3) is not equal to 48/(2(9+3))
48/2(12) is not equal to 48/(24)
24(12) is not equal to 2
288 is not equal to 2

The answer is 288, as 2 and (9+3) aren't in the same bracket.
End of thread please?

You guys are putting way too much thought into this.

48/2(9+3) is not equal to 48/(2(9+3))
48/2(12) is not equal to 48/(24)
24(12) is not equal to 2
288 is not equal to 2

The answer is 288, as 2 and (9+3) aren't in the same bracket.
End of thread please?

This^