5-10watt tube head for pop rock/alternative recordings

departed

Jan 2, 2010
London, UK
im sure many of you guys have had experience recording pop-rock/alternative bands, i've been getting more and more bands like this in recently and have decided to splash out on a small 5-10watt tube head for recording crunchy/clean stuff.

i've been doing some reading/listening and it seems that the leaders of the pack are the orange tiny terror and blackstar ht-5. that's sort of my price range, around £250-300.

before i go hunting for a place to try them out, are there any others that i should be looking at? i've had bands come in with a blackheart little giant and epi valve junior, they sucked imo.

I'd like to achieve a tone like this

A little more wattage than you mentioned, and also about 100 dollars more, but the amp I'm most interested at the moment is the Egantor Tweaker. It's a 15 watt head or combo running dual 6V6 Power tubes and 3x12AX7 Preamp tubes with a whole ton of "tweakability" via a lot of controls. The head runs about $400, but I'd pay it just for the vast amount of tones to be had from it.

TweakerHeadCP.jpg

TweakerSwitches.jpg

TweakerHeadBack.jpg

* 15 Watts All-Tube
* 2 x 6V6 Power Tubes
* 3 x 12AX7 Pre-amp Tubes
* Master Volume, Gain and 3-Band EQ
* Modern/Vintage Amp Voicing Switch
* Buffered Effects Loop
* Selectable AC, British and American Tone Controls
* Clean/Hot Gain Selector
* Tight & Bright Voicing Switches
* 100V / 115V / 230V Switchable

@departed

I'd really go for the tiny terror if you're looking at it, are you UK or US?
theres one in the backstock of dv247 for £220 and trevoire is selling his for £200 both are good deals IMO

I bought the dual terror in hope of using the over for more versatility but the tiny terror just does it all for me so I've never used the 'Fat' channel really

my only experience with orange was with a rocker 30, i couldnt for the life of me get a decent sound out of it, it sounded too dark for the whole poprock sound we were going for.

im guessing the TT and rocker 30 are different beasts though.

you wouldn't be prepared to upload a short clip of a song from the album so i could hear it?

There's also the Vox Night Train, a wee bit out of your budget but seems like a good buy if you like the Vox sound. Probably wouldn't have enough grit for punk pop type stuff but I think you'd get some amazing clean and crunch tones from it.

As mentioned I'm selling my Tiny Terror. Awesome little amp and I'm only letting it go as I want the new Thunder 30 and can't afford it without selling something!

Another one for the Tiny Terror. Mean little amp, however mine just sits there since I have an Rockerverb 100 sitting next to it.