Anyone have any pop/rock stuff for me to practice mixing?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
I'm rather new to mixing non-metal stuff and want to get some practice in something non-br00talz. :lol: Does anyone have anything in the pop/rock, Paramore, post-rock, ambient styles that I could have a crack at?

I know this is a metal forum, but I'm sure there's a lot of you out there that have either written, or been involved with in for this genre.

I've been searching these forums through google for tons of keywords like pop, rock, paramore, alternative, punk, mix practice, etc. trying to find something in this vein to practice mixing, but haven't had much luck. I've found 2 tracks that I liked (and already PM'd the authors --you know who you are!) but the rest mainly had dead dropbox links.

Feel free to PM me or reply with project files I can work on. Please also post an mp3 of the song first so I can let you know if I'm interested in working on it.

Or if you have links to threads that I maybe haven't found, those would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, in advance, everyone! :)

EDIT: I don't do re-amping, so there's not much I can do w/ DI's at the moment unfortunately. -_-

bump. Should I re-post this or see if I can have this moved to the general Andy Sneap front forum page? Or is this in the right area? I want to get some attention on this.

@ahjteam this looks like it could be fun, but I don't have Cubase either. LOL. And since you don't have it, I doubt you could send the stem files. Oh well. I have Pro Tools, Reaper and Garage Band.

Thanks. I actually saw this, and it's still a bit too power metal for what I'm looking for. I'm looking for stuff in the style of Paramore, Nickelback, Postal Service, Russian Circles, Pelican, or anything in the pop/rock or post-rock genre.
Appreciate you trying to help though. Do you have anything like that?

Nope, sorry.

Thanks for moving this Brett! Maybe more people will see this now and throw some lighter stuff our way for those interested in non-metal mixing practice. :D

i'll try to post something

Punk rock stuff
I just have difficulty to extract tempo map from my project (i work in PT)

I'm really surprised there haven't been more responses than this. Maybe if there were more "pros" wanting in on this there would be more desire to take the time to extract and upload tracks for us. :lol:

i'll try to post something

Punk rock stuff
I just have difficulty to extract tempo map from my project (i work in PT)

I'm ok w/ punk rock stuff too.

I just bought Cubase today for huge discount, so I bounced the files for ya. the file is uploading but it is saying 1 hour left, SO: look at the time now, wait for one hour and then download. The link is here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/Fire_Multitracks.zip

Reference mix here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/ahjteam/ahjteam_fire_v07.mp3

If you have something to ask about the tracks, feel free to ask. Some pointers:
- Note that the guitars were tracked with guitar with EMG's (easily noteable on the solo at the end), which clip internally, so it's not from bad tracking
- If you want to go all super modern type production, the general playing could benefit from some time editing and the solo could benefit from some pitch tuning, it's mostly monophonic so autotune/melodyne/whatever can pretty much do it.
- Guitars are all DI except the ones on the fx track (which are preprocessed) and the wah mic, which is miced clean sound
- In the midi file is the drums (general midi map) and the synth (use polypohonic long held pad type sound)

I just bought Cubase today for huge discount, so I bounced the files for ya. the file is uploading but it is saying 1 hour left, SO: look at the time now, wait for one hour and then download. The link is here:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/Fire_Multitracks.zip

Reference mix here: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1338211/ahjteam/ahjteam_fire_v07.mp3

If you have something to ask about the tracks, feel free to ask. Some pointers:
- Note that the guitars were tracked with guitar with EMG's (easily noteable on the solo at the end), which clip internally, so it's not from bad tracking
- If you want to go all super modern type production, the general playing could benefit from some time editing and the solo could benefit from some pitch tuning, it's mostly monophonic so autotune/melodyne/whatever can pretty much do it.
- Guitars are all DI except the ones on the fx track (which are preprocessed) and the wah mic, which is miced clean sound
- In the midi file is the drums (general midi map) and the synth (use polypohonic long held pad type sound)

Dude, you rock! Thanks! I will have to download later this afternoon, but I will definitely give this a whirl. And btw, thanks for all of the notes on the tracks... that will be very helpful.

I have the perfect thing for you then, been doing a band exactly like you described. When everything is fully released and shit I'll post the multitracks for a song

Cool man, just keep us updated. Any teaser mp3's of the song(s) that you can post to help build interest? :)
Edit: Sptz... are you referring to this project you just posted? http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/rate-my-mix-tone-threads/607827-rock-more-epic-track.html
This would be awesome! Right up the alley i'm looking for! Definitely interested in this. I'm sure there's quite a few of those in-the-closet Paramore fans here that I'm sure would like to practice mixing something like this too... just too afraid to admit it probably :lol:

okay. should be uploaded. The package size is about 137mb, and 574mb when unpacked (because files are mostly just silence). 1 track of bass di, 2 tracks of tambourines, 1 fx track, 1 drum+synth midi file and 13 tracks of guitars. and tempo is 220

edit: seems there are four extra cowbell hits on the beginning of the midi track, you can remove them.