5 best drumproductions ever

Jay H said:
A bit OT, but it's kinda funny that I just 2 days ago had a discussion with a band that's in my studio right now... They were divided in two parts where one of the parts believed that Richard Christy is just a brilliant drummer and that intro on that album ("Sound Of Perseverance") is close to being genius, whereas the otehr part, including me, thinks that this intro just plain suck - it lacks time, and sounds like something went completely wrong... That you can't say about Gene or Shaun, or Chris Reifert for that matter.
well jay.. i don't mean to sound insulting to you then i fear you may not be trying to count anything other then 4/4 time with the snare on the 1 and 3, at least in this instance.. which will not work for this part. Richard's playing on the intro of S.O.P. is flawless.. there are no mistakes whatsoever.. and the timing is rock solid at about 104bpm. And, the snare falls on the 2 and the 3 in the first measure which is in common time, the 1, 2, and 4 in the second which is also in common time, on the 2 and 3 again in the third which is in 3/4 time..... then it ends up with 2 beats at a faster tempo which act as a quick count-in for the opening guitar licks. it's easily counted and is very solid... sound playing there kids.

bottom line.. Richard and Gene are both excellent players... who, by the way, admire each others playing.. and that should tell you something.

that's it for me for now.. back to work on The Clan Destined.

Fuck theory......I don't need theory to justify a performance...I just need to think "Wov, this sounds great". Christie MAY have played this intro in a theoretical correct way - i really can't tell - But to me, that intro by Christie still sounds like crap. But besides that, he's a great drummer, no doubt about it.

that's it for me for now.. back to work on The Clan Destined.

Hey James, is Emily as killer on drums as I've heard she is? I saw a video clip and was sort of impressed with the paradittles down the toms. A little sloppy but I was still impressed.. what is she like 15 years old now? :cool:

Asmus_Thomsen said:
Fuck theory......I don't need theory to justify a performance...I just need to think "Wov, this sounds great". Christie MAY have played this intro in a theoretical correct way - i really can't tell - But to me, that intro by Christie still sounds like crap. But besides that, he's a great drummer, no doubt about it.
relax.. the part is killer.. if you can't hear it then you need to develop your ear for drums and rhythm a bit better... it is complex, tight, dead on.. let's hear you pull it off... chill out man.. don't need the harsh language either.

James Murphy said:
relax.. the part is killer.. if you can't hear it then you need to develop your ear for drums and rhythm a bit better... it is complex, tight, dead on.. let's hear you pull it off... chill out man.. don't need the harsh language either.

First of all, I AM relaxed – very relaxed. It seems that my choice of vocabulary was too much for you, mr. Murphy. And for that, I sincerely apologize – it wasn’t meant like that – I guess the word “fuck” means a lot more to people in the US than it does for us europeans. I was NOT a personal insult.

So, back to the point. First of all, I don’t need to develop an ear for rhytm or drums, because when it all comes down to the point, it’s a matter of taste – not a matter of mathematics, theory or some elitist way of judging music by it’s complexity and needing theory to prove a point. It’s music, you cannot prove a point because it’s subjective – it’s all in the eye of the beholder. Granted, my perspective may change as I grow older – but that doesn’t mean that I’m more correct. I’ve played music for many years, and I know what I like and don’t like – yet still keeping an open mind. And no matter how many times I hear that intro (and I’ve just heard it again), I will always think that it sounds horrible.

“Let’s see you pull it off”. Man, I REALLY hate that argument. No., I can’t pull that intro off, and it’s besides the point. When you walk into a restaurant, do you lose the right to criticise the food, just because you’re not a chef? Am I not allowed to criticise an omelet, even though I can’t lay eggs? I think I am allowed to speak my mind.......or??????

My fave drum productions of all time:

1. Opeth - Deliverance
2. Novembre - Dreams D'azur
3. Klimt 1918 - Undressed Momento
4. Dave Weckl Band - Perpetual motion
5. Porcupine Tree - In Absentias

As for the OT discussion that's running on, I don't like the intro much, but I reckon the control he gets over the drums...really amazing, wish more drummers did more mistakes like those ;-)

Asmus_Thomsen said:
First of all, I AM relaxed – very relaxed. It seems that my choice of vocabulary was too much for you, mr. Murphy. And for that, I sincerely apologize – it wasn’t meant like that – I guess the word “fuck” means a lot more to people in the US than it does for us europeans. I was NOT a personal insult.

So, back to the point. First of all, I don’t need to develop an ear for rhytm or drums, because when it all comes down to the point, it’s a matter of taste – not a matter of mathematics, theory or some elitist way of judging music by it’s complexity and needing theory to prove a point. It’s music, you cannot prove a point because it’s subjective – it’s all in the eye of the beholder. Granted, my perspective may change as I grow older – but that doesn’t mean that I’m more correct. I’ve played music for many years, and I know what I like and don’t like – yet still keeping an open mind. And no matter how many times I hear that intro (and I’ve just heard it again), I will always think that it sounds horrible.

“Let’s see you pull it off”. Man, I REALLY hate that argument. No., I can’t pull that intro off, and it’s besides the point. When you walk into a restaurant, do you lose the right to criticise the food, just because you’re not a chef? Am I not allowed to criticise an omelet, even though I can’t lay eggs? I think I am allowed to speak my mind.......or??????
well, i love that intro.. and i loved even before i bothered to count or analyze it... pretty sure Gene H. digs it too since he likes Richard's drumming... and 6 question marks at the end of a question doesn't seem "VERY relaxed" to me...nor does using so many all caps letters. i didn't say you couldn't dislike it.. but it's not crap. right.. i'm done with this one.. love it or hate it, it's a well played part.

Yup, first of all, Im not a drummer. But, I do know that intro is played perfectly and it has no mistakes. Besides that, I personally don't like it much, I prefer straight forward playing, kinda like the intro to "First Strike Is Deadly" on Testament's "First Strike STILL Deadly" remake album. I dunno, it's not that I'm an ignorant or that I don't appreciate stuff, it's just that I like drums played differently.

For example, many people talk wonders about Portnoy (the guy in Dream Theater) and well, theres is NO doubt he is a wonderful and very good, almost "virtuoso", drummer, he plays great and has great control over the drums. But, I don't like those odd timing beats he uses and in general, those odd time signatures that progresive musicians tend to use. Im not saying I hate it, because I actually do find it interesting and in some sort of "controled" level I may found it very adecuate and great for rock or metal, even death metal or whatever, but, as I said, in a "controlled" manner.

Another great drum sounds I forgot to mention were:

Testament - "First Strike STILL Deadly" and "The Gathering"
AC/DC - "Back In Black" (very raw and "live")

Jay H said:
A bit OT, but it's kinda funny that I just 2 days ago had a discussion with a band that's in my studio right now... They were divided in two parts where one of the parts believed that Richard Christy is just a brilliant drummer and that intro on that album ("Sound Of Perseverance") is close to being genius, whereas the otehr part, including me, thinks that this intro just plain suck - it lacks time, and sounds like something went completely wrong... That you can't say about Gene or Shaun, or Chris Reifert for that matter.

Well,I like a bit more Gene Hoglan,expecially for the way he plays with cymbals but I love the intro of SOHS and Richard is for sure a great player.

i cant say i can pick 5 to live with for the rest of my life. but heres a few that really pinch my nipples...

Arch enemy- Burning Bridges, HUGE sound and way too much verb which is always way cool...somtimes :D

Metallica- The black album. The PRODUCTION not the band. can you imagine that drum sound on a heavier record? pretty cool thing to ponder if you ask me.

Construcdead-Repent- very gritty almost lofi album with a contradictory polish and a killer dark overall production vibe to the album. kick ass snare too. quite possibly my most un-sense making description of all time.

Steely Dan -Aja and/or two against nature. Not metal but many thanks to elliot scheiner and Roger nichols for laying down the law on those records.

Nightrage- Sweet Vengance. Too much verb again but killer tones nonetheless.

Nevermore- Dhiadw- i felt guilty leaving it off