5-String Black P/J?

Dec 28, 2005
Hey Steve,

I saw a video on Youtube of Sadus back in '92 at the Omni of "Slaves to Misery." In this video, it looks like you're playing a black fretted P/J 5-string bass...to my knowledge (according to your equipment page), you've never had one.

Was this a rental, your own, or a bass you borrowed from somebody else on the bill? (I'm assuming you were a support band, but I could be wrong).

I borrowed that from the local luthier, John Jordan, that helped me finish constructing the Fender wannbe - the fretless that ended up getting it's fame from Idividual Thought Patterns. The fretless wannabe wasn't ready yet, and that show came up so he lent me that fretted five string to play. Of course I had the Rickenbackers going full time back then, so why the choice of that fretted bass over the Ric's? Well, honestly I think it was the first time I played a five string and ironically it was tuned EADGC like I ended up doing when I started employing my own fivers. So I really didn't need to borrow that bass, but since he offered it, I took the chance to try out something new.

I'm really looking for a copy of that whole concert from the Omni in 1992. If anyone has it, please let me know. Thank you bootleggers!!
SDG

HippieOfDoom said:
I borrowed that from the local luthier, John Jordan, that helped me finish constructing the Fender wannbe - the fretless that ended up getting it's fame from Idividual Thought Patterns. The fretless wannabe wasn't ready yet, and that show came up so he lent me that fretted five string to play. Of course I had the Rickenbackers going full time back then, so why the choice of that fretted bass over the Ric's? Well, honestly I think it was the first time I played a five string and ironically it was tuned EADGC like I ended up doing when I started employing my own fivers. So I really didn't need to borrow that bass, but since he offered it, I took the chance to try out something new.

I'm really looking for a copy of that whole concert from the Omni in 1992. If anyone has it, please let me know. Thank you bootleggers!!
SDG

Thanks for the answer - it's very much appreciated...this is what seperates the underground thrash/death metal scene from any other imo. Guys like you, Darren, Alex Webster, Mike Akerfeldt, even guys like Mustaine and James Lomenzo etc...you're all generous to the people that made you, unlike some other bands in other scenes where they just flat out ignore the fans after a couple questions or 10 mins of autograph signing.

Ironically I'm also looking for the Omni show in 1992 - if you look on youtube for it, I believe the guy who put it up has the tapes, since he has a bunch of shows from the Omni in 1990/1992 (Death, Sepultura, Sadus, I think I saw a Pestilence video too)...I'd try contacting him if you want the tape. His youtube member's page is here.