5150 Clean Mod Kit and Dummy Loads

TheWinterSnow

Den Mørke Natt
Oct 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
So I am trying to get a consensus as to the target audience of such product. I was planning on implementing a clean channel on my 5150, when I realized considering the size of the protoboard (or PCB) that would be used, that I could easily build DIY clean channel mod kits for the 5150/6505.

There did become one issue. At first I found that the kit would be as easy install for beginners, but realizing a few flaws I decided to implement a pre gain, post gain and a complete disengage of both original circuits and modded circuits so that the clean channel would switch like a normal clean channel would (footswitch and main switch on the amp).

The work, while not being hard overall will still be involved. The kit would come with the board, wiring, and connectors. Installation would require the removal of three capacitors, one jumper wire, drilling 7 holes, and soldering color coded wired to their respected places. The one issue that comes up is that the mainboard needs to be removed from the chassis as soldering and desolering of the mainboard must take place. I know that it will put off most electronics noobs, however, the process is not hard, just tedious and sort of time consuming (an hour job). Not only would I provide step by step instructions with pictures including color coding everything, I will also put up step by step unedited videos on how to do it. If you have your way around a soldering iron, and have and hour or so to kill to solder 8 wires and mount a PC board to a chassis, then its a pretty easy job. Hell you could even buy the kit, and have a trusted local tech do the installation if you wanted.

So my question is this, how many of you would be interested in such product? And if you are afraid of such DIY project, what would you need to feel confident in doing such project? And lastly, how much would you be willing to pay for such kit?

I also realized that there where quite a few people around here that weren't confident in building dummy loads for their amps, and since the sticky got pulled I figured I can offer that service as well, considering it would be cheap and would have a moderately fast delivery. All I would need to know is the Impedance and Power that you need.

I'd be interested in the clean kit, I'm guessing that'd go for between $50-$100 but I'm not really sure.

I'd be interested in the load box if you could build it with a line-out so I could capture the poweramp signal when feeding impulses. I've built my own already but I have no idea how to implement that feature.

For the dummy load I would have to build and find the the lower amplitude of the amp so that I can make an effective sweep with the line out volume pot, should take a bit extra time just ordering the initial parts and then testing, finding the component values and then ordering those parts, installing them to make sure they work correctly. But it would be no problem.

Would it affect the 2nd channel tone wise?

I think 75$ would be a good idea. The only thing that turns me off is drilling in the chasis/the idea that this isn't completely reversable with the capacitor removal.

The cool thing is that the mods does not alter the sound of the amp, it just adds additional options on top of what is already stock, meaning even if your not amazed with it, as long as it sounds better for cleans that what is stock and it hasn't effected the other two channels, why would you want to reverse it. Other than the drilling of the chassis, the caps and jumpers if desoldered correctly, can be saved and re-added if you do want to reverse the mod.

You could also pickup a 6505 nameplate to drill and fuckup, saving the stock 5150/6505 nameplate, then if you do want to reverse it, place the old faceplate on, no one would ever know that the chassis was drilled in the front.

Just to let you guys know too, most of the instillation is solderless, like EMGs. You solder the main connectors to the board and use jumpers to connect everything which means you won't have to desolder anything if you need to remove a board from the chassis.

Sounds very interesting. Well recorded sound clips and a video tutorial of how to install it would be mandatory before I would consider purchasing it. Price would be dependent on how good the clean channel sounds. If it's only "better" than the original 5150 clean, then $50-100. If it's an amazing sounding clean channel, $150 or slightly more.

I imagine that the clean will sound pretty damn impressive. Because I am not modding the actual preamp circuit, just doing with what is already there, it will be more or less a hybrid of a twin reverb/bassman/JTM45 leaning closer to the JTM45 with a little more gain on tap. It should hold a more Marshal sound however, due to the tonestack design. Regardless it will be a massive step up to what the "clean channel" (for a lack of a better term) stock is.

I will begin ordering the parts for the prototype probably tomorrow and probably do the video and post some clips by Thursday/Friday if I get the parts in time. Gives me time to get a pickup and a fresh set of strings on my Strat so I can get some single coil tones happening.

For the dummy load I would have to build and find the the lower amplitude of the amp so that I can make an effective sweep with the line out volume pot, should take a bit extra time just ordering the initial parts and then testing, finding the component values and then ordering those parts, installing them to make sure they work correctly. But it would be no problem.

That would rule. That'd make my life if it came out to be cheaper than a Weber or something similar.

That would rule. That'd make my life if it came out to be cheaper than a Weber or something similar.

For a line out, depending exactly on costs of materials, around $50-60 USD give or take.

Any other comments, questions, suggestions and features regarding the clean kit mod anyone? I have the final schematic planned out and am ready to built to the first one and run, but if there are any features you guys may want please let me know.

And for anyone that wants to order a simple dummy load (without a line out) as of right now, send me an email to CorvusEngineering@gmail.com and I will send off the paypal information. For those who do want a dummy load with a line out you can send your information to the same email but expect a longer delivery time (at least 3-4 weeks). Also be aware that it will naturally take longer and cost more for international buyers (outside the US).

Be sure in the email to give your name, address, email so I can contact you if needed and the product that you want.

Current Available List:

Dummy load; 50 USD/36 EUR
Dummy load with line out: 60 USD/44 EUR

The added price of shipping will depend on your location, which is why I ask for your address before I send the paypal information so you know the exact amount. I in no way will make a profit off of shipping, I only add the exact shipping costs that it costs me to ship to you.

I wish that I could provide reactive dummy loads but unfortunately no sellers offer the value components that I need without charging ridiculous handling prices that would put the product well around 200+ USD unless I drop a few grand to buy a couple HUNDRED components in bulk. Sorry guys.