5150III Review and Clip

Sacha

Throbbing Member
Jul 20, 2002
Calgary, AB, CANADA
www.mp3.com
After owning this for a while now I thought I would post a review and clip. This is from the Divinity album, re-amped by Mark at Audiohammer through a Mesa cab with V30s, 57 and 201 mics blended. No EQ or post processing here, just two tracks panned left and right.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2183128/5150III_Clip.mp3

One of the best amps I’ve ever owned for sure. The amp to me sounds like the perfect blend of the original 5150 saturated roar with a bit more smoothness and tightness along the lines of a Mark series Mesa. This is perfect for me and my style as somewhat of a meeting between Prog and Death Metal.

The amp is very versatile; the clean channel is really nice if you dial it right. You have to run the gain VERY low and use the volume to compensate. A little compression and reverb and it’s beautiful.

Channel 2 is hugely versatile on its own; it can go from Marshally crunch up to pretty serious high gain. More middy and vintage then channel 3.

Channel 3 is of course the br00tz channel and the marquee sound of the amp for me. Super easy to dial in a sick sick rhythm sound for Metal and great for leads with some tweaking or external EQ as well.

Loop works great and channel switching is very quick. Occasionally makes a small pop but nothing you could hear in a live situation and I’d rather have that then a drop-out.

I haven’t owned the amp long enough yet to comment on reliability, taking it on tour though so we’ll see. No problems yet anyway, other than a bad preamp tube in V1 which I swapped for a Chinese HG+.

I’ll tell you how I came to own since it was kinda unexpected, we used it for the album but at the time I was using an ENGL SE live. Then I planned to use an Axe-FX+VHT rig live, but we had a show and I hadn’t got it all together yet, so I rented the EVH. Plugged it in and BOOM it fucking slayed, and became my rig.

Just got one last week. Couldn't be happier.

I love co-op jobs :D

edit: Holy crap you play in fucking Divinity!!! You fucking rock!

And Divinty is Canadian!! Sorry mind blow. The Singularity is a great fucking album, and I heard about you guys completely separate of this forum.

I was just going to comment how close u were to the original song but I'm actually just retardedddd.

Sorry that's all.

Cheers guys

Just got one last week. Couldn't be happier.

I love co-op jobs :D

edit: Holy crap you play in fucking Divinity!!! You fucking rock!

And Divinty is Canadian!! Sorry mind blow. The Singularity is a great fucking album, and I heard about you guys completely separate of this forum.

I was just going to comment how close u were to the original song but I'm actually just retardedddd.

Sorry that's all.

Right on bro, we should be coming out your way in Sept - Oct., come say hi and check out the rig!

Yeah channel 3 is really good. Cool that you like it so much. Do you use the AFX for effects in the loop? The best of two worlds.

Yeah I use the Axe with 4 cable method in a loop switcher, adds a ton of versatility and sounds sick. It does create a ground loop which I had to solve with an iso tranny.

If anyone wants to hear how the clip turned out in the mix you can hear the full song on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/divinitymetal

I only added a little bit of EQ and some multiband to tame the woofies on it

yeah, I love mine. really versatile too... channel 2 sounds very good for lighter, mid gain rock stuff... I could easily see using that for reamping guitars for a pop/prog rock type of band.

I still dig the regular 5150 too though. To me, those two amps offer the best of the best for recording high gain modern metal, and the 5150 III has enough versatility to cover a bunch of other styles too. I'm probably getting rid of the JSX...

I really love this amp and I can't think of all the ways you could use it with the 4 cable
method and the axe-fx, what a great idea. I loved the 3rd channel for rhythm and the 2nd
for leads, clean channel was totally acceptable for me, seems like my next amp (in 2 years or so :( )

I really love this amp and I can't think of all the ways you could use it with the 4 cable
method and the axe-fx, what a great idea. I loved the 3rd channel for rhythm and the 2nd
for leads, clean channel was totally acceptable for me, seems like my next amp (in 2 years or so :( )

Yeah it really adds to the possibilities, the Axe sounds great as a preamp into the EVH poweramp. For example on the Monsters Are Real solo I have that robot getting raped type sound, I just ported over the exact patch from the album so I can reproduce it on stage, works perfectly.