6505 into Mesa Oversized Test

GuitarHack

Krank it UP!
Sep 3, 2006
Victoria, Australia
Here's a tone test trying out the Mesa Oversized. It is the Septic Ashes Dictator song (yes, that old chestnut again. It's the only real full mix I have :)). I am pretty happy with the guitar sound especially since it's only double-tracked. You may hate it and I may also tomorrow with fresh ears (they are absolutely shagged now after trying to find the best speaker with my head in front of the cab :zombie:), but until then I like it :lol:. I have 60-12k filtered and slightly/narrowly boosted at 3k and 4.5k. I am still not to sure if the boosts are a good thing. :loco:

http://www.esnips.com/doc/bdc388fa-...3/6505-Mesa-Oversize--Septic-Ashes---Dictator

If the player doesn't play it there is a download option below it.

Feel free to leave some feedback or not as is usually the case. :p

Double tracked??? Holy shit!!!
Sounds big man!
Maybe the boost wasn't necessary...

Good work!

Wow, the guitar tone is fantastic and so is the playing.
There is some muddyness in the low frequencies though due
to the drums and guitar occupying the same frequencies.
How about some treble boost on the snare so it has a bit more crack
to it so that it punches through the guitar a little more ?

I don't know why everyone is so surprised this is double-tracked; that's not a slight against your tone GH, but rather against Quad-tracking, cuz I find to be by and large pointless. And Hack, this sounds great dude, though I find it slightly amusing that you boosted in the areas you complained about your old Traditional cab having too much of; maybe you're just used to that sound? It definitely has that Recto cab low end "thunder" which causes an apparent scoop in the mids from the contrast (has similar qualities to the tone on "This Godless Endeavour," which is my reference for both the best Recto cab tone I've heard and the primary reason I want a Traditional over a Recto :) ). Again, killer job! Which speaker on the cab was this?

Cheers for the replies guys. There is a bit of mushiness to the guitar tone on the muted parts that I am not too fond of today, although I feel it's still a decent starting point.

6505 Settings (out of 10)
Lead Channel
Pre 3
Bass 7
Mid 2.5
Treble 5
Post 2
Res 8.25
Pres 8

OD808 Settings (o'clock)
OD 7 (MIN)
Tone 12
Balance 12

It was a Top speaker in the cab with the SM57 on axis to it (90 degrees to the slanted baffle) pointing at the edge of the dustcap about 1/2" away from the cloth.

Metaltastic, the Traditional Cab is a great cab also but in comparison sounds a bit cloudier than the Standard from what I have experienced. Either will give great tones, but I must say I prefer the clarity of the Standard. I didn't like the amount of 5.6k in the Traditional, it's a damn annoying frequency to my ears. A 4.5 K boost is nice in comparison.

I agree on the snare tone, it's a bit dark and boxy.

Thanks again for the feedback, it's appreciated.

Cheers. :kickass:

Cheers Dan.

Testing a different speaker in the cab.

6505 Version
http://fb.esnips.com/doc/69e7089a-95e7-4fd5-a358-eed1a5946251/Septic-Ashes---Dictator---MESA-OS-6505

Krank Rev Version
http://fb.esnips.com/doc/b73059bd-b...a6aa9/Septic-Ashes---Dictator---MESA-OS-Krank

There is a bit of clipping on both clips from getting the overall level a bit too hot. The Krank one is a little dark also, that Sweep knob still kills me after 2 years :loco:. Same mic position for both clips.

Guitars are as recorded with no EQ, just HP/LP. Tried to brighten the snare a little as well.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. :kickass:

I'll give these clips a listen later on... did you use the other top speaker or a bottom one this time round?

I'm particularly interested in this thread as my rig is a maxon Od808 into a 6505 (and a Diezel VH4, rather than a KranK) into a Mesa Oversized 4x12.

Always makes me happy to hear people getting great tones out of that set-up!

Thanks again for the replies. I think this speaker is better also. It is the other Top speaker.

Rev Settings (out of 10):
Pres 6
Sweep 3
Bass 8
Mid 4
Treb 5
Master 2
Gain 6.5

6505 Settings (out of 10):
Lead Channel
Pre 3
Bass 8
Mid 2
Treb 5,25
Post 2
Res 8,75
Pres 8,75

Both with:
OD808 (o'clock settings)
OD Min
Tone 12
Balance 12 (was getting an even better tone at 3 oclock but the noise was too high)

SM57 at edge of dustcap half an inch away into Firepod.

Thanks again for the replies I think I answered the questions. :)

Holy crap, it's really telling how ridiculous the amount of gain on the 6505 is if you had it on 3 and had to have the Krank on 6.5 to match it!