6505 into Mesa Oversized Test

Yeah, the Lead channel has a ridiculous amount of Gain. The Krank has a little more Gain than the 6505's Rhythm Channel, but nowhere near the Lead Channel. The Krank does have a bigger bottom end in comparison though that the Oversize cab handles much better than the Traditional.

Do you have the same clip but recorded with the traditional cab that you previously owned?
I'm in the market for a cab and I'm trying to know wich one is the best for me.
thanks

I do have a Traditional Cab version. I will try and find it. Can't guarantee that the amp settings were the same though. Listening back now I don't totally like the tones posted in this thread anymore, I think I have achieved better since getting more familiar with the Cab.

Emdprodukt, no probs.

Do you have the same clip but recorded with the traditional cab that you previously owned?
I'm in the market for a cab and I'm trying to know wich one is the best for me.
thanks

dreamofasound, I managed to find a Traditional Cab version from about a year ago. I have also included a later Oversize Cab version (later than the original one's posted in this thread). The mic position and amp settings were different as you may expect when using different cabs so it is not a great comparison, but it all I could find. Amp in both clips was Krank Rev.

Traditional:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/6d68da9c-...411a/Septic-Ashes---Dictator--MESA-TRAD-Krank

Oversize:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/73a06ec9-...77b/Septic-Ashes---Dictator--MESA-OS-Krank-V2

They are quite different sounding. I find the Traditional smoother sounding in this example (the oversize in this clip sounds a little grainier, not as smooth, but without the Traditionals top-end fizz/sizzle), but the Traditional lacks the low-end and definition of the Oversized I feel. As I said, it may not be a fair comparison but it is all I could find.

I hope it is of some use to you.

It'd be great if you could post the reamped tracks so those of us who have the mix can give it a shot! Comparing back to the original guitars, those sound fuller, and I'd love to test drive them in my old mix of the track.

dreamofasound, I managed to find a Traditional Cab version from about a year ago. I have also included a later Oversize Cab version (later than the original one's posted in this thread). The mic position and amp settings were different as you may expect when using different cabs so it is not a great comparison, but it all I could find. Amp in both clips was Krank Rev.

Traditional:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/6d68da9c-...411a/Septic-Ashes---Dictator--MESA-TRAD-Krank

Oversize:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/73a06ec9-...77b/Septic-Ashes---Dictator--MESA-OS-Krank-V2

They are quite different sounding. I find the Traditional smoother sounding in this example (the oversize in this clip sounds a little grainier, not as smooth, but without the Traditionals top-end fizz/sizzle), but the Traditional lacks the low-end and definition of the Oversized I feel. As I said, it may not be a fair comparison but it is all I could find.

I hope it is of some use to you.

I heard those clips (at least one) in the past already but DAMN this shit sounds AWESOME !

I preferred the 1st clip in terms of guitar tone.

The_Shred, I don't gig, or even jam too much these days, it's just a recording hobby so I don't have to lug the cab around thankfully.

Djabthrash, the Traditional clip sounds smoother which is nice, but lacks definition I feel.

jess.oceans, thanks for the compliment.

Ermin, I am upping the WAV's now for you to play around with. All BS aside, I spent no more than 30 seconds on the mic placement yesterday afternoon just so I could get a newer version done, so I don't feel that the tone is spot on. I just hit record and didn't even make any small adjustments to the mic, it was just left in that first visual position. I am interested in hearing your mix, no doubt it will slay mine. :lol:.

I will post when the WAV's are up.

Definitely awkward to get around both size and weight wise. Outside of the US these things are hideously expensive. Oz price is just around the $2000 mark at the moment since our dollar is strong in relation to the US dollar. In the past you couldn't get one for less than around $2200 - $2300. The tone is great though and they know it.

Your mix sounds beter than mine. There is just something about these guitars that I can't seem to get right when reamping them. They always sound a bit hollow and chattery/buzzy particularly the muted stuff.

Yeah I get what you're saying. What got me was the large amount of buzz up in the higher mids (5 and 6k, and some around 3.5 to 4). There doesn't seem to be a lot of tone concentrated around the 'meat' area, or the one that I commonly use to cut through all the other instruments, and that's round about 1.5 to 2k. So once you suck the mandatory low-mids out, you're not left with much tone at all, save for some buzz up in the higher frequencies. Some of it could be the gear you're using, but the rest may just be positioning I suppose. The buzz words for me are 'more meat, less buzz'. Perhaps try tracking them darker, and then using shelving EQ in the mix to bring up the treble and high mids in a more linear/pleasing fashion.

For what it's worth, on your esnips page, the Krank + Trad clip sounds much better to me than the Krank + OS. The trad has the tone concentrated in a much more usable area.

'more meat, less buzz'.

Here is an Oversize tone that I think sounds the best so far. I have got rid of most of that buzz, it's smoother sounding overall like the Traditional Cab clip but much fuller.

Guitars have no EQ, etc... not even HP/LP.

http://www.esnips.com/doc/6cbc5ae0-...f9b/Septic-Ashes---Dictator--MESA-OS-Krank-V3

I will give this song a rest now. For the moment I am somewhat satisfied with the guitar tone.

Subject to change without notice. :lol: