david_guitar

New Metal Member
Mar 15, 2010
Ok so im really knew to recording. I have a mbox2 a peavey 6505 head and orange 4x12. I was just wandering how if its possible to record from my amp without a mic without blowing it?
Sorry for such a shit question haha.
Cheers

Hey man! Everyone is new at some point don't worry about that. Unfortunately as far as I know you cannot record that amp without a microphone. I have a 6505+ myself and when I was buying it I was told by one of my buddies who worked at the music shop that if you turn that amp on without it being plugged into the speaker cab it will fry. Considering that is the only output of the amp head itself (that I know of) I would have to say you should just get a microphone, Sm57's are only like 100 bucks here in canada and they ROCK especially for the 6505 IMO. Just make sure that if/when you get one that the load impedance of your MBox2 or whatever you record with matches the impedance of the 57.

Dude what's so hard about using the search. Or google. Or just reading a few pages, this is being talked about all the time...
To sum it up: You can't just turn on and use your amp without a load (most of the time being a cab ;)), but you can use a dummy load instead. Then you can record the FX send and apply some sort of cab simulation (eg impulse responses)
you might as well do the same with your cab attached and the master volume turned down...

Isn't the point of a 6505 the awesome poweramp? Honest question, I've never had one myself.

Isn't the point of a 6505 the awesome poweramp? Honest question, I've never had one myself.

:err: who said that? :lol:

I'm fairly certain the only amps I know of that will still pass signal through the FX Loop/Line Out while in standby are Engl amps. Every time this subject comes up it's a bunch of people going "hmm... does Peavey 5150/6505/etc. do it or not.. anybody remember? I don't... what about Marshall?" haha...

I'm gladly awaiting to be corrected though.

Some amps you can...as long as you leave it in standby and use the fx loop out. Do some more digging on this to figure out if the 6505 is usable this way (correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it is).

nope, no signal comes out of the amp, so many people seem to think that it works, unfortunately it does not. To note as soon as you turn the power on you have to have your 5150/6505 plugged into a cabinet as the standby switch is not control the plate voltage, therefor 500vDC across the transformer with no load regardless the fact that there is no current flow will still melt the transformer, even if the standby is off.

yup, the power amp is a beast entirely, since the preamp is nothing special, the largest part of the amp is the impedance following the tone stack and the power amp/feedback loop.