7 string tuned one half step higher....

Creeping Death

Trapped in a Corner
Mar 13, 2003
I jammed with a buddy today. He has a 7 string tuned to C F A# D# G# C F. He has a 52 as his C, and an 8 as his F.

I wonder if anyone has tuned their 7 string to EADGBEA

ive sometimes wandered if it would sound any good if you took a 7 string and played with the 7th dropped a whole step (dropped A) lol. I asked a friend who had a 7 once, and he said it would be TOO heavy...any one ever tried it?

Wesd Borland , ex limp dickshit pleayed EADGBEA and llook what he acheived!!! (l:lol:Kidding).

However, i can see it being a bonus if you're a shredder as basically its the same as a 29 fret guitar.

actually playing with a low A is the tuning most jazz guys use for a 7 string. (the 7 string was used in jazz before it was used for rock and metal)

yabba said:
actually playing with a low A is the tuning most jazz guys use for a 7 string. (the 7 string was used in jazz before it was used for rock and metal)

yes but the difference is how they use it. jazz players use the 7th string to play a bass line along with the rest of the part, so you can have it that much lower.

you don't need lower then beadgbe for metal. meshuggah being the ONLY exception I can think of, and yes those 8-strings are cool.

fadingessence said:
yes but the difference is how they use it. jazz players use the 7th string to play a bass line along with the rest of the part, so you can have it that much lower.

you don't need lower then beadgbe for metal. meshuggah being the ONLY exception I can think of, and yes those 8-strings are cool.
I agree totally, it's all about how it's used. I just wanted to point out that that tuning didn't originate with *shudder* korn.

I've actually wonder what CEADGBE would sound like. I'd try but the bridge on my Ibanez 7 string needs to be fixed, and I'm lazy...

Yeah, that's just B - tuning with the lowest string being A. You can do that if you bought gauge 13s or 14s rather comfortably.

Zakk Wylde uses alot of crazy tunings on his guitars. Most of them are drop tunings, not too special, just don't see too many people doing it like he does with 6 strings. Counterfeit God is a drop G tuning (G A D G B E). All For You is a drop A (A A D G B E) and Low Down is a drop B (B A D G B E)