70000 Tons of Metal: Glenn, I want your opinion

If I have been working for many years and was pretty comfortable financially, I'd be all over this. Considering I couldn't swing progpower this year, there's no way in hell I could do this, which saddens me because some of you know how BADLY I want to see Saxon. :cry:

I want to go to this sooo bad. It sounds amazing. Unfortunately dropping $900 mid-semester just isn't doable for me. Maybe next year.

Why oh why does this have to be a god-damn cruise and not just an awesome US Festival? It would be great to see a land-borne fest with a diverse lineup like this somewhere on the ground. I'd go in a fucking heartbeat. It'd easily compare to MDF and ProgPower in terms of lineup strength alone.

I think everyone is very skeptical about this one.
We'll see.
I assume no band is being paid a guarantee, at least nothing above expense to get there.
I agree that the cruise / vacation is the understood "fee" for the performance.
I could be wrong, but I have no clue how otherwise it could go down, considering how much of each booking fee would have to go to the cruise line.

You figure with ALL those bands and their crews, it severely cuts down the number of cabins to be sold, right?

Sounds like a good place to pick up chicks. HAHA
Seriously though, I'm betting more guys than a gay cruise.
And if Amon Amarth get sea sick well that's going to be some weird irony.
These things are to easy to come up with.

Why oh why does this have to be a god-damn cruise and not just an awesome US Festival?
I would love for someone to explain this as well. The whole cruise / Metal festival connection is an odd one to say the least. With any festival you're asking people to travel to the location and spend money. However, you've now just added all the additional complexities of a show at sea, with all the additional costs of a cruise. Seems odd.

I would love for someone to explain this as well. The whole cruise / Metal festival connection is an odd one to say the least. With any festival you're asking people to travel to the location and spend money. However, you've now just added all the additional complexities of a show at sea, with all the additional costs of a cruise. Seems odd.

it will end up being some time-share sales pitch.....watch.

I'd love to go on this myself, but that is right back-to-back to a Park City, UT ski trip that I am going to be taking during the winter.

:worship: Alta :worship:

Does anybody know anything about this promoter?

Reading this lineup actually makes me more grateful for progpower because I can get introduced to more bands I've not listened to where with this it looks more like if you don't like a band (since most of the are familiar names) do you crawl to the other end of the ship and hide?

Next person to post a political post on this forum will get a week's vacation. Take it to the lounge.

And it won't be on the cruise :loco:

I agree with the 2 above... if you could pull this off on a cruise, why not pull it off at a venue where it would be more affordable to go?

As cool as it would be, if I can pull it off, Glenn gets my ca$h before any other fest. Plus, to my knowledge he announced Sanctuary first, so by tradition he can use the amazing "neener neener".

And it won't be on the cruise :loco:

I agree with the 2 above... if you could pull this off on a cruise, why not pull it off at a venue where it would be more affordable to go?

As cool as it would be, if I can pull it off, Glenn gets my ca before any other fest. Plus, to my knowledge he announced Sanctuary first, so by tradition he can use the amazing "neener neener".

Well, with the numbers and such that were posted yesterday, I think the reason it's on a cruise and not on land is so that the promoter can charge basically 200-400 dollar per ticket and get away with it, with people thinking it's just part of the cruise expenses.

True. You would think at a land venue with a lower price you would entice more people to actually travel to go. The killer for me attending PP next year is the price of the hotel. I know the logical choice for being near an international airport is a bonus behind the scenes, but if the location was off the beaten path a bit it would save people hundreds of dollars. As of right now I booked my room at the Artmore and in addition to the price of the tickets to next years PP I have to come up with $734.xx 30 days prior to Sep 14, which in my current financial situation, looks grim. So there's a thousand bucks invested right there for a concert that costs under $150 for a ticket. Add food, gas or airfare, drinks and spending money and it gets pricey.

Don't get me wrong, this is just a money rant. I would rather stay in the "thick of things" when going on a vacation, I'm just stating the obvious. Travel costs more than this bad ass fest that is PP. Let's hear it for me, Captain Obvious.

True. You would think at a land venue with a lower price you would entice more people to actually travel to go. The killer for me attending PP next year is the price of the hotel. I know the logical choice for being near an international airport is a bonus behind the scenes, but if the location was off the beaten path a bit it would save people hundreds of dollars. As of right now I booked my room at the Artmore and in addition to the price of the tickets to next years PP I have to come up with $734.xx 30 days prior to Sep 14, which in my current financial situation, looks grim. So there's a thousand bucks invested right there for a concert that costs under $150 for a ticket. Add food, gas or airfare, drinks and spending money and it gets pricey.

Don't get me wrong, this is just a money rant. I would rather stay in the "thick of things" when going on a vacation, I'm just stating the obvious. Travel costs more than this bad ass fest that is PP. Let's hear it for me, Captain Obvious.

I don't mean to derail the thread, but how far in advance can/should one generally book a hotel room? Is the Artmore the ideal place? (Next year might be my first PP, finances permitting.)

Why oh why does this have to be a god-damn cruise and not just an awesome US Festival? It would be great to see a land-borne fest with a diverse lineup like this somewhere on the ground. I'd go in a fucking heartbeat. It'd easily compare to MDF and ProgPower in terms of lineup strength alone.

THIS!

I don't mean to derail the thread, but how far in advance can/should one generally book a hotel room? Is the Artmore the ideal place? (Next year might be my first PP, finances permitting.)

book now...you can always cancel later
and yes, the Artmore is the party-palace, the official hotel and the courtyard of water and flame

welcome to ProgPower (hopefully)

The (Rev) Su

Agreed. It would've made more sense I think to do an outdoorish/European type festival the first year, and maybe if they wanted to get experimental down the line to book it on a ship. The only reason I can think like some have said is if this being a vacation of sorts makes each band way cheaper, possibly not have to go through as much visa hassle and I'm guessing each band has less crew than they would otherwise/possible sharing of drumsets. So, it could be cheaper but still with this kind of lineup they would get a bunch of people to get tickets if it was on land in my opinion.