70000 Tons of Metal: Glenn, I want your opinion

This would be extremely cool to go to, but I just don't have the moolah or the guts to attempt it. There seems to be way too many problems that could go wrong. What I am most curious about though is who these headliners could possibly be, considering some of the bands already announced. Regardless though, I am curious to hear how this goes. This is one of these things that'll be an unbelievable success or one of the most epic failures in terms of festivals.

What I am most curious about though is who these headliners could possibly be, considering some of the bands already announced.
This. Glancing at the roster, roughly half of the currently announced bands can headline a US tour on their own (or at least have in the past). What kind of bands could realistically be bigger than say, Iced Earth or Blind Guardian, and still be feasible for this cruise? Dream Theater?

This. Glancing at the roster, roughly half of the currently announced bands can headline a US tour on their own (or at least have in the past). What kind of bands could realistically be bigger than say, Iced Earth or Blind Guardian, and still be feasible for this cruise? Dream Theater?

Other bands play, Manowar swims.

I think the one turn off from this is that all the bands on thier have toured the states already or have multiple times. Where at ProgPower you are getting at least 10 bands who are new. While there are great bands playing and stuff....but for me the "wow" factor isnt there and for that price...no thanks.

Would they even be able to play a show in January?

'Course, I spotted an obvious connection between Dream Theater and the actual ship name immediately. :) (Majesty of the Seas)

Other bands play, Manowar swims.

LOL.

I'm kinda wondering what will happen when Rage hits the stage.

Cool! Blind Guardian and Blackguard were just added to it.

I just got back from my cruise on the same ship, so if you have any questions about the ship itself and stuff, fire away! (This goes for anyone else, too.)

I had a few thoughts about the fest after seeing the ship and talking to some of her crew, including the captain...

-- I dunno how they're going to get the ship ready in time. They're building a custom stage for the pool deck, but unless I'm missing something, Majesty of the Seas returns from her prior cruise the same morning as their departure for 70ktons, later that afternoon. And after their return, she departs for the next cruise later the same day. These are realllly tight windows. As Glenn put it, if something breaks, they can't just drive over to Guitar Center and pick up a replacement.

-- They're having some of the shows in one of the theaters on the ship (it's called The Chorus Line). It's really elegant...and has fixed seats. Or at least, they will be attached to the floor at the beginning of the cruise; dunno about the end. :devil:

-- On-board staff and crew, especially the ones who are basically tipped automatically (dining room staff and cabin attendant) were really courteous. Not sure how crowded the 'formal night' in the dining rooms will be during 70 ktons, though. How many metalheads will bring a suit and tie, or a dress? :)

-- Majesty is an older and smaller ship by today's cruise standards, but it's still decent sized and the refit makes it look pretty good. For the normal (i.e., reduced) price that RCI charges I thought it was a fair deal. For a higher price such as 70 ktons is charging, well.....it will be interesting to see how it turns out.

BTW, I was expecting my 119 sq ft. interior cabin to be smaller than it actually was. It helped that I wasn't sharing with anyone.

They are taking out the seats according to the organizers...
The stage wouldn't take more than a day to build... and they confirmed that there is no dress code :p

The price is fine for me... i already want to see 30/34 bands. 3 are in my top 5 favorite bands of all time.

Plus everyone plays 2 sets... so its just wickedly cool. Saw some videos and the ship looks cool. of course my only other experience with ships were military vessels.. so this is pretty darned comfy in comparison.

Would they even be able to play a show in January?
No idea...I think that JL said in an interview that they're planning on getting into the studio sometime around January, so perhaps they'll have their drummer by then. It would be feasible to rehearse, and the first show with the new drummer would certainly be a draw for some people.

Even if DT isn't an option, whoever they get...how much time do they really have to market a headliner at this point? Considering the cost involved, and the arrangements that someone has to make to go (flight + time off), you're not going to change a lot of minds with ~2 months of lead time, especially since people are about to spend money on the holidays.

And if you're not going to bring in many more people who are on the fence...what's the motivation to drop money on a big headliner? The fest might already be a financial success for them, I have no idea, but it seems like they've backed themselves into a logical quandry as far as the headliners (assuming bands currently on the roster aren't headliners).

Hell,I'd just go to spend the day in Cozumel :p i absolutely loved our visit there. There are some absolutely fantastic places to eat if you do a little research (or ask the right person) :D

I think I said it in another thread, or even this one, but...

I'm a 25 year old guy in a permanent full-time job and still taking university classes. Paying rent, paying car, and still going on this trip. $1000 is a lot in one fell swoop yeah, but realistically all of us here can put aside $80 a month from missing one concert (especially from someone on the boat) and not eating out (or drinking) as much. Or smoking less, if you love your cancer and ED. And maybe I'm in the minority, but if I take all the bands I love on the cruise and would pay to see as a headliner in my hometown (15 of them so far), that would cost more than the entertainment fee of the cruise.

Anyways...I love progpower and have been several times, but that's no reason to look for any fault possible in what's looking to be an awesome cruise. :wave:

I said it months ago, and will say it again.
The Scorps have to be one of the remaining 5 bands.

They already announced one more US run next year, where they said they wanted the openers to consist of all former members (IE - Herman Rarebell, MSG, Uli, etc).

Uli being booked for this thing leads me to believe this is a strong possibility.

I said it months ago, and will say it again.
The Scorps have to be one of the remaining 5 bands.

They already announced one more US run next year, where they said they wanted the openers to consist of all former members (IE - Herman Rarebell, MSG, Uli, etc).

Uli being booked for this thing leads me to believe this is a strong possibility.

Wait, what? I thought that the last US tour was their final. This is good news as I unfortunately missed the show here.

Wait, what? I thought that the last US tour was their final. This is good news as I unfortunately missed the show here.

I never thought that. If you heard what they said when they initially said their last album was their last, they said it would be a three year long tour. Do you honestly think they'd only do one tour in the states? Nah. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they come over two more times. I didn't know they were gonna try to set up a tour with past members as openers. If it comes to Chicago, I hope they get Uli since I saw MSG last time.

They are taking out the seats according to the organizers...
The stage wouldn't take more than a day to build... and they confirmed that there is no dress code :p

Cool about the seats and also the dress code -- I figured the latter was something they could directly control, since they are renting the entire vessel.
Do you know where the third stage is going to be located? One on the pool-deck, one will be in the Chorus Line theater...and if I ever read where the third one was, I've forgotten it.
They could put bands on at the base of the Centrum (the nifty central open area), but crowd-control would be....weird. I guess they could use the Boleros lounge.

Dangit, now I'm really curious about the timing and logistics. They can't start seriously modifying the pool-deck or the Chorus Line until after the ship makes port in Miami (call it 7am) from the previous cruise, and they probably have to have any extra workmen and techs off by 3 or 4pm. Since the Chorus Line is used as one of the disembarkation meetpoints -- it's actually where we had to go before leaving the ship -- they'd actually have to wait until closer to 10am before starting to take out the chairs.

The price is fine for me... i already want to see 30/34 bands. 3 are in my top 5 favorite bands of all time.

Plus everyone plays 2 sets... so its just wickedly cool. Saw some videos and the ship looks cool. of course my only other experience with ships were military vessels.. so this is pretty darned comfy in comparison.

Oh, you're gonna have an awesome time. As our captain -- from Norway, but probably not familiar with Marduk :heh: -- observed, this ship is just about perfect for a first-time cruise.

I think I said it in another thread, or even this one, but...

I'm a 25 year old guy in a permanent full-time job and still taking university classes. Paying rent, paying car, and still going on this trip. $1000 is a lot in one fell swoop yeah, but realistically all of us here can put aside $80 a month from missing one concert (especially from someone on the boat) and not eating out (or drinking) as much. Or smoking less, if you love your cancer and ED. And maybe I'm in the minority, but if I take all the bands I love on the cruise and would pay to see as a headliner in my hometown (15 of them so far), that would cost more than the entertainment fee of the cruise.

Anyways...I love progpower and have been several times, but that's no reason to look for any fault possible in what's looking to be an awesome cruise. :wave:

I'm not looking to find fault with it and I think it's gonna be an awesome time for all. If I hadn't just blown 40 hours of vacation-time on this last cruise and could have found at least one other person to share a cabin with, I think I'd have gone on this, too. It would have been an awesome birthday present. :kickass:

Cool about the seats and also the dress code -- I figured the latter was something they could directly control, since they are renting the entire vessel.
Do you know where the third stage is going to be located? One on the pool-deck, one will be in the Chorus Line theater...and if I ever read where the third one was, I've forgotten it.
They could put bands on at the base of the Centrum (the nifty central open area), but crowd-control would be....weird. I guess they could use the Boleros lounge.

Dangit, now I'm really curious about the timing and logistics. They can't start seriously modifying the pool-deck or the Chorus Line until after the ship makes port in Miami (call it 7am) from the previous cruise, and they probably have to have any extra workmen and techs off by 3 or 4pm. Since the Chorus Line is used as one of the disembarkation meetpoints -- it's actually where we had to go before leaving the ship -- they'd actually have to wait until closer to 10am before starting to take out the chairs.

All the info I have is that there are only 2 stages. So i think those are it. the have said that no 2 bands will play at the same time over the multiple days. since you will be able to see every band at least once.

I am also really curious about the logistics. they do say it will be essentially going all day and night... so i guess you need an alarm for 5am to see some bands or something crazy :p

I'm not looking to find fault with it and I think it's gonna be an awesome time for all. If I hadn't just blown 40 hours of vacation-time on this last cruise and could have found at least one other person to share a cabin with, I think I'd have gone on this, too. It would have been an awesome birthday present. :kickass:

I do have to agree. If indeed they pull this off as planned, this ought to be pretty awesome. There are several bands that I'd love see - most notably both Sonata Arctica and Stratovarious. I'd love to go myself, but as I already mentioned, this is literally back-to-back to a Park City, UT ski trip that I will be taking. I would've been up to sharing a cabin with you if we both were able to go.

STRATOVARIUS isn't on the cruise anymore. The tour with HELLOWEEN nixed that.

Yep, I remember that change being announced. Strato were still on the stand-up poster for the fest, though, that was on display at the Masquerade when Blackguard opened here for Nevermore. (Blackguard had not been announced for 70ktons at the time but were not really keeping it a secret.)

Woe be to any band that has to play after 2am on the final night of the cruise, as Royal Caribbean WILL kick everyone's asses out at 9am at the latest on disembarkation day. :lol: After reading a few cruise-review websites, I can certainly see the benefits of a back-to-back cruise on the same ship: you only get kicked out once. :heh: