7string pickup question

Oct 2, 2004
well ,I have a 7string carvin and i dont like the way the pickups sound(too dark,and muted notes on GBE strings sound crappy) i kinda like petrucci's tone,which dimarzio should i go for?

control-denied777 said:
well ,I have a 7string carvin and i dont like the way the pickups sound(too dark,and muted notes on GBE strings sound crappy) i kinda like petrucci's tone,which dimarzio should i go for?

I have DiMarzio Evolutions in my 7 string, and I think they sound killer. I'm not sure what part number they are though, sorry.

Yngvai X said:
Maybe try some EMG 7 string pickups? I know both Rusty Cooley and Jeff Loomis swear by em (and I swear by my EMG 81s).
i unfortunately cant put EMPG in my guitar ,because of the original pickups' size(too small)i've heard Blaze(bridge)and air norton(neck)combinaton is recomended by dimarzio company:confused:

You could always get it fitted. If you bring it to a shop or somewhere that does stuff like that, and they could file the pickup cavity to fit EMG's. That's what I may do if my DiMarzio IBZ's continue to keep being gay.

Well if you like JP's tone, then the dimarzio blaze in the bridge and air norton in the neck will get you close, on his music man model the bridge pup is like a blaze with lower output and more mids, and I think the neck is just a lower output air norton, however, in his ibanez 7's I think it was blaze and air norton all the way. I know in his old Ibanez 6 stringers it was steve's special and air norton, basically he likes high output scooped mids in the bridge and lower output lotta mids in the neck. I also have a carvin 7 string, it's a 727 really great guitar, and I actually had to have the guitar routed even for dimarzios because the carvin pups are odd sized compared to the dimarzios. I have blazes in it now neck and bridge and I can't say I'm satisfied, if you have the alder version like I do I would suggest either and evo, or blaze custom in the bridge, and air norton or go totally mike romeo and put a tone zone in the neck. The alder body is a much more bright wood, so in my experience, when you use a bright cut mid pup (which tends to be very bright and clear), the tone becomes a little to bright. Basswood works well with the blaze tho, I've played a universe and it really balances out nicely IMO.

Anywho, if I were you I'd look into Emgs like the guys said above, the 81 is great in the bridge and the 707 (similar to the 85) would be killer in the neck. I would also look at seymour duncans, I have some in my bc rich, the jb in the bridge and the '59 in the neck, and now they have become my favorite pickup besides emgs. The SD's are nice and smooth and very articulate, check out the jb, or custom for the bridge and the '59 or jazz for the neck.

Good luck man. \m/:headbang:

bloodbath666 said:
Well if you like JP's tone, then the dimarzio blaze in the bridge and air norton in the neck will get you close, on his music man model the bridge pup is like a blaze with lower output and more mids, and I think the neck is just a lower output air norton, however, in his ibanez 7's I think it was blaze and air norton all the way. I know in his old Ibanez 6 stringers it was steve's special and air norton, basically he likes high output scooped mids in the bridge and lower output lotta mids in the neck. I also have a carvin 7 string, it's a 727 really great guitar, and I actually had to have the guitar routed even for dimarzios because the carvin pups are odd sized compared to the dimarzios. I have blazes in it now neck and bridge and I can't say I'm satisfied, if you have the alder version like I do I would suggest either and evo, or blaze custom in the bridge, and air norton or go totally mike romeo and put a tone zone in the neck. The alder body is a much more bright wood, so in my experience, when you use a bright cut mid pup (which tends to be very bright and clear), the tone becomes a little to bright. Basswood works well with the blaze tho, I've played a universe and it really balances out nicely IMO.

Anywho, if I were you I'd look into Emgs like the guys said above, the 81 is great in the bridge and the 707 (similar to the 85) would be killer in the neck. I would also look at seymour duncans, I have some in my bc rich, the jb in the bridge and the '59 in the neck, and now they have become my favorite pickup besides emgs. The SD's are nice and smooth and very articulate, check out the jb, or custom for the bridge and the '59 or jazz for the neck.

thanx for the reply man,very helpful.And actually yesteray i met this tech guy at guitar center(jerry?)yesterday,he used to be zakk wyld's tech guy (i guess) .so he gave me his biz card and i'll probably meet him next week .i'll let u guys know what heppaens!

bloodbath666 said:

hey bro could u send your guitar's picture?i dont know if i should route the guitar (dont wanna fuck up the color of the guitar)

Petrucci actually uses a slightly modded Steve's Special pickup in the bridge, unless something has changed very recently

The air norton is the best neck pickup i have ever used. It gives that really smooth, clear, singing lead tone but with out muddying up or losing definition/clarity like many neck pickups do. I have it in both of my seven strings (Ibanez RG7321 and my S7420fm). As far as bridge pickups go, there are several that work really well. I have the Evolution 7 in my RG, which is really good most of the time, but a little too trebbly sometimes. I have a Tone Zone in my other seven string, which I prefer. The Blaze also sounds pretty good in the bridge, but the one time i actually used one it seemed just a tad too muddy, but it was also set pretty low so that had a lot to do with it im sure.

I'm pretty sure you are going to have to route it, I took my 727 to my guitar tech, and the dimarzio size is different than the carvin pup size. \m/