80s metal sound

Jan 6, 2006
In the land of ice and snow
I need recomendation for pedals. Never bought one before. First I`m looking for 80s metal sound. bands like:priest,Accept,loudness.
I have been thinking about metal zone or boss SD-1.
Somewhere in the future I may also want to try some Thrash metal and blues.:)

Tube Screamer. One of the vintage ones if you can find it. But for an 80s metal guitar sound, I find plugging directly into a cranked-up Marshall does the trick nicely.

I would suggest not buying an SD-1 or a Metal Zone. Their tone is subpar to say the least. A Tube Screamer would work nicely if you have an amp with decent on-board distortion in which case, you would run both at the same time. Since I keep my Tube Screamer's gain all of the way up with the tone at 3'0 clock I need to run a noise suppressor after mine.

I suggest that you get a Z-Vex Distortron or if you want more gain and a more "metal" tone then pick up a Z-Vex Box of Metal. The Distortron runs for $150 and the Box of Metal is $200. This sounds expensive but the sound is soooo much better. Check them out on zvex.com there's videos of the pedals that you can check out there.

Hi.

As far as I'm concerned none of TS-family overdrive will do job with digital modeling amp.

their whole magick is, in fact, that they push tube preamp into saturation.

You may give it a try, but you'll be probably dissapointed with results.

Actually, the metal zone is instrumental in getting the Sunlight Studios guitar sound, which is as true and metal a tone as you can get. But yeah, I have one and it seems to have a thousand ways to make your guitar sound like ass.

Avoid stomp boxes to be honest.
If you want a decent tone, get an amp with a reasonable preamp distortion.
If you're on a budget, the Roland Cube 30, 60 or 80 amps are a good choice, as is the current Line 6 Spider IV. Do avoid the previous versions of the Spider like the plague, they sound awful.

You can't get that sound from your Line 6? Honestly, outside pedals don't work that well on modeling amps. Also, are you playing at home or in a band?

If you're talking glam then just crank that amp and get some a phaser or flanger effect in there. If not just do what I said just without the effects.

DO NOT GET A METAL ZONE OR A METAL CORE! They suck balls.

If you want a really good, versatile metal tone get a Hardwire TL2. I got mine a week ago and it's absolutely incredible, does so many different metal tones. A Tube Screamer won't work with your amp, it's designed to push a valve amp and it'll sound crap with a modeller. Also, Tube Screamers don't have very much distortion at all on their own, you need to play it through a distorted amp to be able to use it for metal.

I used to use a Spider III and the Insane channel did the job for me. Why do you need an outside pedal?