Alexi sound

KostasGR

New Metal Member
Nov 7, 2007
Do you know what i can do to get close to alexi's sound?I am looking for distortion pedals..with high gain.I heard boss metal zone and it was good.Do you know any other similar pedals?Btw i have a jackson wrxt..

use Jazz 3 picks, and pick hard. It will get you closer than buying any distortion pedal.

Metalzone will only get you to hell...you need supercustomshop ESP for 10000 euros a 10000 euro amp and some pubic hair from alexi.

Alexi's sound doesnt come from any cheap distortion pedal.

His old (better) setup:
He uses 2 custom jacksons (a white pinstriped and with the famous yellow bevels). These guitars are equipped with a single J50BC passive humbucker in the bridge. It sort of is a ceramic PAF humbucker with a lower ouput: 8,4 kOhm. J50 B = Bridge and C = Ceramic.
Another thing is the JE1000 gainbooster. The J50BC and the JE1000 are designed to go along with each other.
The JE1000 is a gainbooster with added tone control options (low,mids,high). The ammount of added boost is unknown for me.

Then you have his rack with basicly is:
Lee jackson perfect connectoin GP1000
Rocktron Intellifex
A poweramp ( E640 poweramp, Peavey 50/50).

The pre-amp is very importament for his sound. It is not a high-gain amplifier like all ENGL's/Mesa boogies are today but a true 80's heavy metal amplifier.
Alexi drives his tube amplifier with his J50BC + JE1000 setup and that makes his sound.
He used many poweramps, but any (tube) poweramp will do fine. He used (for example): E840 or E850 poweramp (during sinergy), Peavey 50/50 (old days), Lee jackson SP1000 and many more.

If you dont know what a pre/power amp or a pickup/gainbooster is: google it.

His modern setup is different.
When his custom ESP's came out in 2003, he uses a passive EMG HZ4 together with a MM04 or JE1000 gainboost. The MM04 is a straight rip off of the JE1000 and is sold in some stores for way to much money. His rack is almost the same as in the old days but he added a TECH21 Sansamp PSA1.1 pre amp. And he uses a VHT 2/90/2 poweramp.

During the summer of 2007 he changed pickup's. He ditched the HZ4 + Mm04 setup and returned to Seymour duncan pickups.
He know uses a active seymour duncan Blackout AHB1 in the bridge.
This is a pickup similair to a EMG81 but with much better tone and less noise.

I don't think that i can buy these things guys...:Smug:

Turn up mid on your amp till about almost full, turn low to around half and then put treble to abit over half, and use fatter pick

only expense=Pick

if you cant afford that, then lulz

I can get pretty close to alexi sound with my amps if i so want to (randall and peavey)...but notice i dont want his sound...just soemthing close to it and with his flair. I really love his solo tone tho but i dont seek a alexi laiho clone tone.

^^:lol: I lolled hard. Nah but rly nearest you can get laiho sound i guess get his sig or a Jackson RR24(If you for some reasons hate the ESP and LTD versions)...then maybe a marshall or actually buying the lee jackson and some poweramp too.

I haave a boss metal-zone mt-1, and a shitty 10 watt 1970 behringer, and with a clean amp tone, i can get a perfect COB tone, but the boss metalzone also has 6 different switches, so it's hard to find just the right sound.

^^With tweaking you can find everything...i love tweaking and finding new sounds. I think the MT-2/MT-1 is simple...its just LOW/HIGH/MID and MID RANGE buttons and ofcourse gain...thats not really much if you can tweak. I don't like when ppl come and say like "ZOMGAMG whats thee bezzzt ampz settingszzzz for Alexei laihoia Ton3?" I mean if you tweak it out you will get more xperience in tweaking and also might find a BETTER tone for yourself that has the slight alexi flavour you want but is still you...

Well, the Lee Jackson GP1000 is a typical old amplifier.
Alexi sets allmost everything on max (gain/bass/treble), that really gives him that powerfull sound. And the midshift option on his amplifier.

That GP1000 is essential to his sound. So if you want something close, you should get that.

@The Phenom, Where do you think influences come from? If he likes CoB, he might like the sound and he wants that aswel.

I haave a boss metal-zone mt-1, and a shitty 10 watt 1970 behringer, and with a clean amp tone, i can get a perfect COB tone, but the boss metalzone also has 6 different switches, so it's hard to find just the right sound.
Lol, record some. The actual idea is that your tiny pedal is 3 times more expensive then your amplifier.