What do you guitarists use to get a real good solid death metal sound

cyberfella

The Soul Collector
Sep 5, 2002
Purgatory
Im experimenting with pedals an amps to see if i can get a VERY heavy but reasonably clear sound. I own an Ibanez rg550, Marshall MG50DFX and the DOD FX86 (deathmetal pedal) I have also experimented with my friends pedals and amps. What do you people use?

Stygian Apothegm_ said:
DO NOT use any distortion pedals.

WTF? No pedals? Mesahugga uses PODxt Pro racks. I would go clean on the amp and go all out on effects. No distortion pedals... hrm... Well he is right! I'd go with racks. Checkout www.evergrey.net they have a hardware section with all the godies on how to get "crisp" sound. Now all you need is talent.

Jackson RR1 and Boss Gt-6 !!, nothing can go wrong using this....
It also helps if you use a large stack amp!!

One rule to go by if you want kewl guitar sounds: Fuck pedals! Immensely, and often!

First thing you have got to do is toss that DOD Death Metal Pedal so far away from thineself that thou canst not bleeding see it anymore. That pedal is the sole originator of pain and anger in the world. Second thing to do, after you have chucked the pedal, get a decent amp (if you haven´t already got one).

Now, if you are dense and still say stuff like "Yoooz, PeDulz R fiKKeR ThOuND N AleXXXZZZI youzeZ vEM!", do not, under any circumstances, use the DOD Death Metal Pedal (I can´t stress enough how utter shite that contraption is). Go for the Korg Hyper Distortion, or if you want a worse-sounding (altough not as crap as the DOD) one, take the Boss Metal Zone for a spin. All the kewl melodik deff mettull people use the Metal Zone.

I tried the metal zone and thought it was shite. The deathmetal pedal hasnt over impressed me. Ill have to investigate the hyper distortion then.

What sort of distortion does it give? Im after a kinda bloodbath style old skool deathmetal sound.

cyberfella said:
I tried the metal zone and thought it was shite. The deathmetal pedal hasnt over impressed me. Ill have to investigate the hyper distortion then.

What sort of distortion does it give? Im after a kinda bloodbath style old skool deathmetal sound.

To my recollection, the Hyper Distortion was quite diverse (I haven´t used mine for, like, a year). More so than the Metal Zone, at least. By the way, the pedal that Bloodbath used was an old Boss (the same company responsible for the Metal Zone) pedal. I think it´s deleted, but you might find one used somewhere, or perhaps it´s part of some Boss multi-effect.

When I'm using my practice rig, I use a Korg Hyperdistortion... they're out of production, but can be found on ebay for about $50. Two programmable "channels"... great for brutal death. :heh:

U[Sic]M said:
To my recollection, the Hyper Distortion was quite diverse (I haven´t used mine for, like, a year). More so than the Metal Zone, at least. By the way, the pedal that Bloodbath used was an old Boss (the same company responsible for the Metal Zone) pedal. I think it´s deleted, but you might find one used somewhere, or perhaps it´s part of some Boss multi-effect.

yea i read that, but im not clear on which pedal it was they used.

If you want the Bloodbath style, get an old rat pedal or the old orange boss pedal with the 3 knobs. Be sure to turn the overdrive up and either tune to D (D-G-C-F-A-D, low to high, or one whole step below standard) or Fb (Eb-Ab-Db-Gb-Bb-Eb, low to high, or one half-step below standard). Stay away from bullshit "Metal" pedals. Remember that Bloodbath are emulating the mid to late 80's Death Metal style. Back then there weren't any Metal Zones or Death Metal Distortion pedals.