What kind of gear do you use?

WarlockMaster

New Metal Member
Jun 26, 2004
Florida
Hey everyone, please post what gear you use. I have a bc rich platinum pro warlock with a set of dimarzio evolution 7s running into my marshall mg50dfx and im looking into buying either a crate blue voodoo 120watt or a peavey triple xxx half stacks. I think vehemence used to use the blue voodoo crates, but my friend has a peavey xxx half stack and the distortion is awesome, no pedals needed.

Bc rich Warlock
Washburn n00b guitar
Marshall AVT150 (sucks hard)
Crate 12 watt gfx...

7 piece pearl drumset with double bass pedal \m/

Ibanez RG421 into a Digitech GNX processor into a Marshall AVT150 combo (used as a power amp sort of), and it sounds fucking great with my settings on the GNX.

Then for my rock stuff I use a Epiphone LP Custom with a SD 59 and Custom, and I have a really shitty Fender acoustic that wa smy first guitar, and yet I play it probably more than any of my other guitars.

i have a
Ibanez Rx720
Ibanez custom strat
marshall mg100dfx
Korg Ax100g multi effects pedal

yeah i know my guitars arent anything special
thats why im earning the $ to gets me a NJ beast (the one WITHOUT speedloader)

I mainly use a Jackson DX2 with Seymour-Duncan JB in the bridge and '59 in the neck, going through an ENGL Powerball head, through an Avatar 4x12 (2 Celestion V30s, 2 G12H30s, x-ed). Whenever it's done being built, I am going to have a PRS Custom 24, as well.

I also have an ESP LTD Viper-301 with EMG-85s that I'm looking to sell, as well as a Schecter C1+ and a Yamaha acoustic.

I also have a CRATE Blue Voodoo head and cabnet.

Both are great. Aside from that, I run through a BOSS GT-6 Processor, Jackson Guitars, Seymour Duncan pickups, Dimarzio cables, and Clayton medium triangular picks.

I also,....everybody on here is gonna hate my guts for this, but I fuckin can't stand amp distortion!!!!!!!! Go with processed distortion, it's 10 times better. Get a BOSS Metal Zone pedal, or a BOSS GT-6 processor which has the metal zone settings in it.

Amp distortion only sounds good if you have it cranked up beyond belief,....Plus processed distortion takes all the mid range out, and gives it a much more brutal chunky death metal sound. Most amp distortion is only good if you wanna play classic rock bullshit. Even with the gain all the way up it still sounds dead and limp.

Using a maximizer with amp distortion helps, I think thats what Dying Fetus uses, but amp distortion by itself sounds like ass.

The ONLY good amp distortion would probably be LINE 6 which is what Vehemence uses. LINE 6 state of the art and specializes in processed distortions built into amp heads. CRATE and PEAVY distortion is o.k.......Marshall amp distortion has to be the gayest distortion ever!!!!!

I will be the first to disagree ... in my opinion, no distortion sounds better than a good amp distortion. My ENGL has a kickass distortion, I think ... one of the best I've heard. Other amps get great distortion, as well. Ever since I got a tube amp, I've been loving it. It also sounds great at bedroom volumes.

I knew it wouldn't take long for some to disagree....it's all good though....

Mine too are tubes,....but I still can't get into amp distortion. I'm not the only one though,...I hear Michael from Opeth also uses the BOSS GT-6 just like myself. Strange too, cause Opeth's guitar sound isn't really brutal at all, but I guess he sets it that way on purpose.

I think if you've only got Crate, Peavey, and Marshall to go on, then you're missing out. I like the distortion on 5150s, but I've heard great amp distortions out of other amps like ENGLs, Framus, and Bogner, and a few Mesa Boogies (although mainly the Mark IVs). I've never played on them, but I've seen bands play with them or record with them.

hey everyone, i didnt tell you my effects and the other technical bullshit, i have a boss metal zone and an origional crybaby wah, and i also have the korg pandora px-4 multi effects processor, im looking for an amp that will replace my distortion. By the way, anyone who has played on either a peavey xxx or a blue vodoo please post your thoughts about the amp, thanks

AtTheGates2099 said:
I'll check them out......I've heard good things about MESA, although they're godly expensive. So is LINE 6......
Yeah, the better sounding amps tend to be expensive. Cheapest, best sounding tube amp I've ever heard was the 5150, but the clean is pretty disappointing. My ENGL cost me a pretty penny, about as much as a new Mesa Boogie, but it was worth it.

Its a fucking joke that I spent 1k on my amp (marshall avt150 halfstack) and I have to use a distortion pedal to get a good tone, even though my warlock has emgs.

Jackson King V>Boss GT-5>4 track into stereo
B.C Rich NJ Warlock>Boss GT-5>4 track into stereo
LTD Ex-351> ''> ''

I have a fender m-80 stereo combo loaded with 12's but it needs some maintenance on the knobs to stop it from crackling and jumping volume,it sounds amazing,the clean sound compliments any tone you can throw at it.

what kind of setting do you guys use on your gt's for death and other high gain styles?

and some of opeths tone is very brutal,its just in a subtle way,more than a constant in your face thing, for example the blackwater park riff where he kicks in with the lyrics,its a slick kick to the nuts if I ever heard one. :D

wel, to get my death metal tone, i either use my boss metal zone at low volumes, or i crank the distortion on my marshall to about 6 or 7, turn the bass to like 4, contour to like 1/4, and treble to like 7, its harder to get the death metal sound using your amps distortion, but i just played my friends peavey xxx, and that amp actually has an awesome distortion already on it, i also played a marshall jcm 900 and that got a pretty good death metal sound after i played with the settings and turned up the volume. Another hint on tube amps especially, set your amp to as much overdrive/dist. as you want, turn the master volume all the way up, and turn the seperate volumes all the way down, and turn them up as you need, that way you are getting all of your natural distortion already at low volumes

Equipment: Line 6 Flextone II Head w/Pedal, Black B.C. Rich "The Beast"-6 String w/original Floyd Rose, Chrome hardware, Ebony Fretboard-2 EMG's 81 & 85 & neckthru, 2 Marshall Vintage 30 4x12 cabinets, Armored Cables, Audio Technical Wireless, Monster Cables, Boss NS-2 Pedal, & an Ebow.
Samick Acoustic - 1992 made.

VEHEMENCE said:
Equipment: Line 6 Flextone II Head w/Pedal, Black B.C. Rich "The Beast"-6 String w/original Floyd Rose, Chrome hardware, Ebony Fretboard-2 EMG's 81 & 85 & neckthru, 2 Marshall Vintage 30 4x12 cabinets, Armored Cables, Audio Technical Wireless, Monster Cables, Boss NS-2 Pedal, & an Ebow.
Samick Acoustic - 1992 made.

I fucking love ebony boards, they just feel so much nicer, and look so much better. ANd people always talk about the sound difference, but Ive never really noticed it. (I dont own one hehe, but I do spend hours in guitar stores playing on great guitars)