amp question

Punisher

New Metal Member
Mar 11, 2002
oslo........
Visit site
i'm buying new gear and i want some opinions. i have already decided to buy a crate 4x12 cabinet but what head? the choices are: the crate blue voodoo head, peavey 5150, mesa boogie triple rectifier. they all rule. (btw, i play a bc rich with emg81 pickups if that helps). thanks.

If you want to get that killer Opeth tone, get a 5150. I have one and it just kicks ass! Especially if you like scandinavian metal because they all seem to use the 5150 (ex. In Flames, etc.) The 5150 has tons of gain and just kicks ass. The Mesa is great too but way too expensive. You can get the Mesa sound with the 5150 for 1/3 the cost. I picked up a 5150 head used in excellent condition for $400! Stay away from the Blue Voodoo. If you can't get the 5150 or Mesa, then I would recommend either a Marshall JCM800 or a Laney GH100L. They rock too but give you more of that British sound. To push them over the top (like the 5150 or Mesa), you will probably need a distortion pedal. Hope this helps.

thanks! the amp i own right now is tha laney gh100l. i like it, but i've gron tired of it... i've been thinking about getting a pedal, but i don't know if i need one cause i have a really powerful rack that helps alot. i think i'll go for the 5150. thanks again!

I second the reccomendation for the 5150. Excellent sound. I don't own one ATM, but thats because I'm a typical broke student. One WILL be mine soon, though, oh yes...mark my words, it will be mine!:cool: