80's pop

The saYer said:
being an oldschool forum, what are your favorite 80's pop?

I liked .38 Special and Foreigner but I guess they are more hard rock than "pop." That new wave stuff didn't do much for me. Tears For Fears were probably the best of that style. I like Cheap Trick, The Outfield (great harmonies andI still play a few songs by them now and again) and Reo Speedwagon. Toto wasn't bad either. I suppose since I still listen to a couple of their songs, The Outfield is probably my fave pure pop. Most of the bands I listed would be considered rock bands.

Bryant

DrillSergeant said:
Are Sisters Of Mercy Pop? If so I'd go with some of their stuff.
Well they are too guitar oriented to be pop .. they are goth rock probably. I enjoy them sometimes.
Are ARMY OF LOVERS an 80s band ? if yes, then they are my fav. they totally RULE

IOfTheStorm said:
Are ARMY OF LOVERS an 80s band ? if yes, then they are my fav. they totally RULE

ermmm, are you gay ??? :err:
To me things like Army of Lovers are the music I hate of the 80's...
Looks completely gay and music is totally crap .... Okay, the big titted lady looked nice..Sorry to come on ya that hard, can't resist... You don't like Boy George do you ??? In the 80's that was the music us metallers hated here, you wouldn't like to come into a rock cafe with an Army of Lovers T-shirt..

No, give me some good Blondie, Kate Bush, Police, Madness, Nena, Kim Wilde, .... That's 80's pop to me !!

PS: don't take my comment too personally, I just felt 18 again... ;)

ARMY OF LOVERS remain rulers and honestly i dont care about what the metallers in the 80s hated. And what will happen if i come to a rock cafe with an Army Of Lovers t-shirt? (i dont have one but i would love to have one)
Their music was total fun and entertainment. They didnt take themselves seriously,(you take them more seriously) and Jean Pierre is the most sympathetic UBER GAY FIGURE ever. Not to mention that their image looked totally surrealistic and eccentric (in the way I like it).

Do you guys find that you now like some of the pop stuff from the 80's that you hated back then.... I know I do. Hell I'm even starting to get a nice collection of 80's pop/new wave together on vinyl... everything from ABC to Haircut 100... hahaha... just goes to show that I'll buy anything for a buck. :D

IOfTheStorm said:
ARMY OF LOVERS remain rulers and honestly i dont care about what the metallers in the 80s hated. And what will happen if i come to a rock cafe with an Army Of Lovers t-shirt? (i dont have one but i would love to have one)
Their music was total fun and entertainment. They didnt take themselves seriously,(you take them more seriously) and Jean Pierre is the most sympathetic UBER GAY FIGURE ever. Not to mention that their image looked totally surrealistic and eccentric (in the way I like it).

Cool down man, don't wanna start a fight over this shit :D

Fangface said:
Kate Bush - Hounds of Love

The B-Side is not that pop though...
...but it´s my favourite of all her works together with the even more experimental predecessor "The Dreaming". It´s sort of funny, but I didn´t become a fan of Kate Bush and her music until 1990 (after I had been a metal fan for 6 years)!

As for the kind of pop-music I liked in the early eighties before I got into metal, my no. 1 would be ABBA. I also had two albums of Kim Wilde (well, I still have got them, as nearly all albums I ever bought) and some stuff like Trans-X, Irene Cara, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, but I think I haven´t listened to any of them again after I got into metal and I don´t think I ever will. (Maybe except for ABBA - they might bring back some nostalgic feelings of my childhood days.)

I liked those Mod Squad bands like The Cure, Tompson Twins, Jesus Jones,INXS, Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Alphaville, think I should stop now, I'm scaring myself (still listen to The Cure now and then)

Burkhard said:
...but it´s my favourite of all her works together with the even more experimental predecessor "The Dreaming". It´s sort of funny, but I didn´t become a fan of Kate Bush and her music until 1990 (after I had been a metal fan for 6 years)!
hehe I thought you would mention her as well ;)
I've became a fan of her work quite recently in fact.

Fangface said:
hehe I thought you would mention her as well ;)
I've became a fan of her work quite recently in fact.
May I ask when exactly and how it happened? Maybe the early twenties are just the "right" age to get into her music? (I was 22 in 1990 and you are not that much older now.)