80's styled metal - Full Song for you to Reamp/Mix/Master

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hi guys,

i figured it was time to give back a lil' something to this great community!

i just re-recorded one of my bands songs. it was actually released on our second album back 10 years ago, hence the maybe somewhat dated style hehe. since then we tuned down to C standard (originally Eb) and our singer has developed quite a different style, hence i thought it was a nice idea to record this just for myspace promo purposes.

disclaimer: this is NOT a paid job offer! i'm only posting this for you to have some fun with. the DI's are pretty good (jackson w/ emg 81 countryman di -> rme fireface) so you might have some reamping fun as well.

anyways, it doesn't have vocals YET. our singer lives 200km away from me and is currently on vacation. if anyones interested i'll repost this once the vocals are recorded.
being just a demo recording, the drums are midi only. mapped for SSD btw.
there's 4 rhythm guitar DI tracks, Bass DI, and 3 lead DI tracks (main with harmonies).

i'm very curious to see what you guys will come up with!
i'll post my own mix as well as an excerpt from the original 1999 recording later on. right now i'm eager to see in which direction you'll take this.

btw, here's the myspace link so you can get an idea what kind of vocals will be on top of it once it's finished:
www.myspace.com/backslashmetal

alright, the files:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1296348/Backslash/Backslash - Fly Away (ReRecording).rar

have fun!

Thanx, I will have a go at this.

These "reamp/mix my files" are extremely educational to me. Hearing what others did with the files makes me takes others paths in mixingland.

Caus my Motu broke down I ordered the Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, keen to hear what the preamps on that baby will do with a ribbon mike. The Saffire will be here next week.

Thanx again for giving back to the forum.:headbang:

burny: sounds cool! what did you use for guitars? doesn't sound like an ampsim to me, if it is good job! ;) i like the way the leads are sitting, too.
also, what drums? metal foundry?

arvoitus: you need to work on the bass, it's dominating everything. kick is also nearly non-existant, i guess this has a lot to do with the bass too. toms are too loud, too. guitars are ok i think...

burny: sounds cool! what did you use for guitars? doesn't sound like an ampsim to me, if it is good job! ;) i like the way the leads are sitting, too.
also, what drums? metal foundry?

arvoitus: you need to work on the bass, it's dominating everything. kick is also nearly non-existant, i guess this has a lot to do with the bass too. toms are too loud, too. guitars are ok i think...
I really appreciate your comment! I'm mixing with a headphone so the bass is difficult to hear for me, i should use other songs as a reference.

I changed some things with the bass and kick, also changed to guitars a bit:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3822426/Backslashmetaltry.mp3

Better, worse?

Here´s my shot.. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/929252/Backslash-01.mp3

Some rough details:

Bass: Juicy77 comressed and limited to hell and back.

Guitars:
TSS->7170->Sperimental Mesa trad..100-100
TSS->TSEx30-> same IR..80-80. Shitloads of saturation and c4 and some eq.

Drums:
Mainly my D4 for kick and slate (snare 11) mixed with D4 for snare. OH and toms are slate.

No separate mastering. Just compression and limiting on the master bus.

I like the song dude! I downloaded it earlier and will start soon haha, also, what bass was used to track this song? It sounds awesome