Little Metal Track + STEMS FOR YOU TO MIX

shaggysi0

Darkened Dreams Studios
Dec 30, 2009
Little Rock, Arkansas
www,shaggysi.com
Been having a lot of fun having a go at mixing some other people's stuff around here. I figured I'd cook up something and post it here for you guys to mess with.

This is an instrumental track, currently, called Intuition. BPM is 125, tuning is drop C#.

RAR file contains:-

SD2.0 Drum Midi
DI Guitar Left
DI Guitar Right
DI Bass (sloppy as fuck :( )
My Mix of the track.

Would be very interested to hear any results. If you feel like adding vocals/lead/whatever, go right ahead.

STEMS:-
http://www.shaggysi.com/tunes/Intuition.rar

MY MIX:-
http://www.shaggysi.com/tunes/Intuition.mp3

Go nuts.:devil:

I gave it a shot:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19759737/Intuition_RaNk.mp3

Oh, I had to put the tempo on 118 instead of 125?

Thanks for the stems!

Sounds good, dude! :D What did you use for guitars?

Hearing this in a different perspective I know the guitars (playing) needs to be tighter. It's a pretty raw performance, no edits done on the DI's apart from general tidying the start/ends of regions.

Sounds good, dude! :D What did you use for guitars?

Hearing this in a different perspective I know the guitars (playing) needs to be tighter. It's a pretty raw performance, no edits done on the DI's apart from general tidying the start/ends of regions.

Thanks, glad you like it. :loco:

The guitars (and also bass) would indeed benefit from a little tighter playing, but they're also kinda dull sounding. But that's no problem, and things you can always improve. For me it's interesting to see what I can do with it.

The guitars are reamped on a real amp (ENGL E570+E840) and cabinet (4x12XXL). Most around here probably don't like the XXL much on itsself, but I do because it's never fizzy and doesn't have too much low-mid buildup. The rig isn't that bright on itsself (also has to do with the miking), but I had to boost the highs on the amp quite alot to make the guitars a little gritty sounding. Maybe another cab would be better for this mix (but the XXL was miked and all already). As for the bass, normally I don't like to distort them personally, but in this case I had to do it because they sounded "flubby" otherwise.

That said, I had fun mixing the tracks, even though it was quite a quick mix, but I like to play around with it and it's good practise. :)

I like the other mixes too, Wyldechyld's could use a little more on the mastering chain and less high's on the toms for me personally. sinquestsound's sounds really powerfull, I like the mix.

Great sounds so far. It is really interesting to hear other people's sonic interpretations. Certainly as much fun for me as it hopefully has been for you to mix.

Wyldechyld's sounds nice and tight but slightly too much bottom end for my taste. Still enjoyed it though :)

sinquestsound's mix does indeed sound really powerful. I like them drums :) With tighter DI's (which is my problem my end) it would sound even more killer.

It is when you do this kind of stuff you realise the importance of having new strings on your guitars. Both the guitar and bass strings are some months old, which is never good for getting a great sound. I need to stop being lazy and restring. Might help the DI's a little.

I'm running the guitars straight into the HI-Z input of a Roland Edirol UA25EX interface for recording with the sensitivity set pretty low. I don't know if running a DI box inbetween that and the guitar would make much difference. Any tips?

I wouldn't use a DI between the guitar and the recording interface (keep it as simple/short as possible). You don't want any tonesuck of unnecessary equipment. I have absolutely no clue of the quality of the Roland interface, but for the rest you answered your questions yourself. Good sound is all about the basics. Good guitar with good pickups and new strings, very well adjusted and in tune. And a good (short as possible) cable with no defects. When I have to record stuff for an album, I'd take a new cable or resolder the jacks when I'm not sure. I have a short cable now that I only use for recording as an easy solution for the cable being always in good shape. The rest is up to you, play well. As for the sensitivity, I like to record the tracks pretty loud. But of course no clipping. I always play hard and keep a few dB's of headroom, always avoiding clipping of course. As for the bass, consistent playing is important, no compressor can solve inconsistent and untight (obviously) playing. When reamping, the amplifier is of course important, but if the basics are all good, it's all up to taste I think. The amplifier has to be in good condition, and the cabinet must be of some quality. And microphones+position, and... and... I'm not very good at using and tweaking ampsims myself at all, but there's lotsa people here on the forum getting very nice tones with (free) ampsims and good impulses. Well I'm not saying anything new here of course. :)