The Dick Kicker (br00ts) + stems for you to mix!

Ensi

CAT WITH FUKKEN PODS
Nov 15, 2007
Norway
www.youtube.com
Edit: Wanted to bump this up so people who haven't seen it can have a go at it. We need moar stempacks!

Hey there! Second time posting a mix of mine :)

It's a new song I newly wrote and recorded/mixed. I am still fairly new to the mixing scene so if you think that this is a sonic mess, please tell me :)

Personally I think I did well, i'm getting better all the time!

My mix:

My 2nd mix with the included re-amps:

• Guitars is a Jackson J2SP (EMG 81, Alder body, FR) Legion amp sim + impulse, 2nd mix reamped with 6505
  • Bass is a noname one with shitty strings and fucked up action (farting sounds and generally unwanted noises, sorry for that). Compressed/squashed DI to the end of time and beyond.
  • Drums are Addictive Drums with samples on toms, kick and snare.
Stem pack

Here is the stem pack if you want to give it a try, would be really cool to hear what you could do with it :)

UPDATED

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1064562/Mix... Drum MIDI BPM 180 [UPDATED with re-amps].rar

BPM is 180 and the time signature is 6/4.

Edit 2: The first 2 chords are 3/4 and the rest of the song is 6/4. I should also start merging my L/R tracks into one (I have 2 tracks on both sides, to do several takes), so you don't have to add 2 sets of identical plugins on 2 tracks.

Edit 3: Shit son, I seem to have messed it up, you have to slightly nudge the drums in order to get them to line up, really sorry about that! Hope it's no big deal. Listen to the included guitar pro file if in doubt.

Includes:
  • Guitar Left, Right and Middle DI
  • Reamped 6505 tracks of the guitars from my bro Alex (Lowberg)
  • Bass DI (it's shit, sorry!)
  • General MIDI file for drums
  • Addictive Drums mapped MIDI
  • Punk bitch, Joe.
  • Guitar Pro 5 file (hey why not?)
  • Sub drops

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the stems, and nice mix too. Here is my attempt at it http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29437721/Dick Kicker.mp3

Sweet! Sounds real boomy :)

Thanks for sharing! Can you tell wich impulse you used on your guitar track... sounds tasty.

Can't remember where/who I got it from, but it's called ASEM Recto V30 L2.

I mixed this on headphones last night. Guitars are a little too fizzy I think and I should have done some side chain compression but it was fun nonetheless.

Nice :) But the drums are off time, I fucked it up a bit when exporting the stems so just chugging all the tracks in your daw will make it off time :\ Sorry for that :(

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13494639/punkbitch.mp3
Think I aligned the tracks properly, just shoved the drums to the right a bit... Pretty damn good song I must say, mean as fuck riffage.

Thanks man! I churned it out in 2 days. Haha, all good stuff I write just blops out at random intervals.

What did you use for guitars? :) And what did you do to the bass? It actually sounds good now haha!

Also my good friend Mr. Lowberg did a quick (not carefully mic'ed) reamp with his new 6505! :D So I chucked them in there and oh man.. The difference is quite noticeable :eek:

Haha thanks, glad you liked it! Guitars are good ol' TSE 808, x50, asem v30, some saturation and EQ. Bass is two tracks, #1 some pod farm bass amp (bypassed cab) -> lecab -> ferric or something then a bunch of EQ and compression. #2 was just x50 -> lecab -> eq with hpf at 800hz and lpf around 2000hz I believe.

That 6505 tone sounds tits, any idea what cab he ran it through?

Haha thanks, glad you liked it! Guitars are good ol' TSE 808, x50, asem v30, some saturation and EQ. Bass is two tracks, #1 some pod farm bass amp (bypassed cab) -> lecab -> ferric or something then a bunch of EQ and compression. #2 was just x50 -> lecab -> eq with hpf at 800hz and lpf around 2000hz I believe.

That 6505 tone sounds tits, any idea what cab he ran it through?

Nice! I really must try that mid-heavy one track of fucked up distortion bass next time!

Mesa (Recto most probably) 2x12 with V30's. Micced with ye olde SM57.

Thanks for sharing your music :kickass:

Damn, that sounds great man! Everything sits great! :) What are the drums?

Thanks for the song man, nice catchy riffs. Also nice mixes here and there.

I did one too, I hope you like mine:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19759737/The_Dick_Kicker_MixAtempt.mp3

Hardest part was the bass guitar. Guitar has a nice tone for EMG81. Mine always sounded way too thin, but maybe that was because of the guitar.

Yeah I really dig the tone now that the HZ if out of my guitar :D

What did you use for guitars? Sounds killer!

Damn, that sounds great man! Everything sits great! :) What are the drums?

Yeah I really dig the tone now that the HZ if out of my guitar :D

What did you use for guitars? Sounds killer!

I'm happy that you like it. It's done using re-amping some of my ENGL gear. I've not been very active on this forum until I discovered it's great to do all these mixes practising on re-amping. Surprising how it sounds so different through the same gear with different DI track and only dialing in the amp differently (really different settings for different guitars needed also). For processing I started using Nebula which I bought a pack of tape impulses for. I like the results I get with that, I hardly need any post EQ on the tracks.

If there's things that you don't like about the mix, I really like to hear that too. I'm here to learn, and I like all kind of input.

Btw, the punk bitch intro is superb hehe.

I'm happy that you like it. It's done using re-amping some of my ENGL gear. I've not been very active on this forum until I discovered it's great to do all these mixes practising on re-amping. Surprising how it sounds so different through the same gear with different DI track and only dialing in the amp differently (really different settings for different guitars needed also). For processing I started using Nebula which I bought a pack of tape impulses for. I like the results I get with that, I hardly need any post EQ on the tracks.

If there's things that you don't like about the mix, I really like to hear that too. I'm here to learn, and I like all kind of input.

Btw, the punk bitch intro is superb hehe.

Sweet! :D

Listening now and what I can think needs changing is the snare. This might be just my opinion though, I have no professional experience/background, but the snare sounds a bit "boxy". Needs to mushen it out a bit perhaps? I don't know how to say it.

Also I really hate the snare om my mix haha :lol:

Yeah, the intro rules! The whole thing is just.. hilarious!

Edit: Also what kick is that/what did you do to it? It sounds awesome!

Haha funny video, including the 'Black Death' band is great in the context of the clip.

Well I'm certainly no pro either, but I don't think that's needed to judge the sound. I agree on the snare part too, but I use it like this because it cuts through any mix without too much compression/limiting. But I'll try to work on that (as I'm always trying hehe).

The kickdrum is the "18x22 Sonar Tomas Haake Custom SQ2" from Superior Drummer 2. The 'sub' mixed in at -6dB. For the rest only an EQ cutting on 166Hz and 500Hz to make it less boomy. No compression or anything. It's pretty standard and used alot, but I like it and it works. And everyone processes it differently so it's never exactly the same.

Also bass guitar, I never know exactly what to do. I see others using distortion alot, but I don't like that too much because I like the 'thumping' sound from a clean bass. But that's a matter of taste of course. Of course it's worth experimenting with overdriven bass, who knows...

If you want the raw re-amped tracks, I can put them on Dropbox if you want.

Nice! I gotta give Superior Drummer a try, maybe time to change out Addictive Drums!

Won't be neccessary, I have done so many mixes on my song now i'm getting sick of it :lol: Time to do something new I guess!