Another kick ass LoG style multi for you to mix

mickrich

Aug 2, 2007
Thanks to the band for letting me upload this.
Lots of tracks.
All real drums including trigger recordings of kick and snare for sample replacement. Overheads are hats left.
Bass di through Hartke bass DI.
Americican Fender P bass with low b from a 5 string set.
DI and amp tracks for all guitars.
Original Ibanez RG550 with EMG 81 wired pickup to volume to output.
Recorded through BSS DI.
Tuned to drop B with a set of 12s minus high string for 1-5 and a D bass string for low B.
Amp tracks are ts808>Triple Rectifier>Recto OS cab>Beyer M201>Focusrite ISA828 on med impedance.
Lead guitars same as above but with H&K Triamp MK2.
Vocals Beyer M201>ISA 220.

My mix:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2133088/REAP_NEW_VERSION.mp3

Files (incl midi for tempo map plus text file with tempo changes)
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1EPqLUI5jIncUtkMGFfWEhUVnM/edit?usp=sharing

Alternative re-amps with Mesa MK4
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1EPqLUI5jInek1UZ2dxSXMxWU0/edit?usp=sharing

Please give info on what you used for samples and guitars etc. for your mix.
Any questions just ask :headbang:

Downloading now, cheers!
Although i'd be lying if I said i wasn't a little gutted I don't get to mix your beautiful Mark v again :p or was it a Mark iv.....

Either way, thanks!

Hi,
My try:

Please give info on what you used for samples and guitars etc. for your mix.

Kick - 100% Testament kick sample ;)
Snare - orginal snare + 20 % LOG snare sample ;)
TOMS - Andy Sneap TOM samples ;)
OH - orginal - eq,comp
HH - eq,
ROOM - C4,

Guitars - Bugera 333XL + HB 2x12 V30 > 2 sm57 > Audiobox 44VSL

Master chain: SSL BUS COMP, API EQ + PSP VW.

Stay \m/etal !

Last edited by a moderator:
Your mix sounds good bro ;)

Sounds good but is missing a bit of low end punch from kick and bass probably due to headphones.

Hi,
My try:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi4RT8IlAN8

Kick - 100% Testament kick sample ;)
Snare - orginal snare + 20 % LOG snare sample ;)
TOMS - Andy Sneap TOM samples ;)
OH - orginal - eq,comp
HH - eq,
ROOM - C4,

Guitars - Bugera 333XL + HB 2x12 V30 > 2 sm57 > Audiobox 44VSL

Master chain: SSL BUS COMP, API EQ + PSP VW.

Stay m/etal !
Nice mix.
It's refreshing to hear a real snare drum rather than a sample;)

Thanks for uploading this, man. I had a lot of fun with it!

Here's my mix:

Snare: Blend of the tracked snare and a preset snare in Trigger
Kick: Tiny bit of the original, and a preset kick in Trigger
Toms: Andy's Chimaira samples
Guitars: Original Mesa tracks
Drum room: Some distortion applied and then heavily compressed

xeroxed89 great mix! mind to share guitar, bass and mastering chains?

xeroxed89 great mix! mind to share guitar, bass and mastering chains?

Thanks, man!

Bass:
Duplicated the track.
Bass 1. HP at 30 Hz + LP 100 Hz
Bass 2. Some distortion applied. HP at 350 Hz + LP at 8K Hz

Both channels sent to a buss with 3 compressors and a limiter
Compressor one (Cubase comp) was set to side-chain with the kick, -6db reduction
Compressor two (CLA-2A) was set to reduce peaks slightly
Compressor three (CLA-76) was set to "total destroy" haha
Limiter (L2)

Guitars:
HP at 90Hz with other bands set to reduce "bad" frequencies (around 4 - 6 KHz)

Multiband compressor to reduce peaks in the low-mids

Mastering Chain:
API-2500 Comp > C4 Multiband Comp > BX Saturator > Ozone 4 (for EQ + Mastering Reverb) > L2 Limiter

The compressors on the mastering chain weren't set too crazy. Just there to tighten things up a bit.

Thanks for uploading this, man. I had a lot of fun with it!

Here's my mix:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp-c7S_bL_4

Snare: Blend of the tracked snare and a preset snare in Trigger
Kick: Tiny bit of the original, and a preset kick in Trigger
Toms: Andy's Chimaira samples
Guitars: Original Mesa tracks
Drum room: Some distortion applied and then heavily compressed

like the mix although the vocals sound very.. scooped.. maybe some distortion could be added but great!

like the mix although the vocals sound very.. scooped.. maybe some distortion could be added but great!

Thank you! :D

Aye, I had a fair bit of trouble getting the vocals to sit. I actually didn't cut any frequencies, other than a HP at around 250 Hz. Some tube distortion was applied, too...

Thank you! :D

Aye, I had a fair bit of trouble getting the vocals to sit. I actually didn't cut any frequencies, other than a HP at around 250 Hz. Some tube distortion was applied, too...

The M201 used for vocals has a pretty flat mid frequency response.
Sweep a medium Q 2-3db boost around 1-4K and you will find the spot where the vocal will jump out.
I like the M201 because it doesn't really have a high mid boost like most other dynamics so you can choose your own frequency rather than having it pre defined by the mic. It has a nice air boost at about 12k too.

Here´s my Mix:

Guitars: The original Mesa
Bass: DI for lowend and ampsim for grit
Bassdrum: 100% replace with Metal machine
Snare: 40% Original 60% Metal machine
Toms: Original

Was really fun to mix.

Here's my first version, but bear with me, I've just recovered from a nasty ear infection that fucked with me for all april :p
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3961577/Mixes/Mago_MickrichREAPv1.mp3
So chances are that the balancing is off, especially the bass...think I fucked that up during mastering.
Also not a lot of automation yet (only blasts and doublebass parts so far). Some FX missing too.

Thanks for the upload! Digging the tune quite a bit!

Some info as requested in the OP
Kick & Toms 100% replaced (didn't dig the original ones)
Snare is hard to say how much it is replaced, as I have the samples on a seperate track. A lot of the ring comes from the natural snare though.
Since the drummer seemed to have given quite some efford to hit the snare like a mofo I also didn't leave too much dynamic in the triggering.
Samplewise there's MetalMachine, LSD and a Sample I recorded myself on the Kick.
Snaresamples are mostly 2 Snares of the "RoomSound" Bundle. Then a bit of D4 and again a Snare I recorded myself.
Samples for Kick and Snare room sound too.
Toms are LSD Alestorm toms. Was lazy on them so I just picked those, cause they work a lot of times for me ;)

I liked the mesa reamps, but I didn't get the to fit into the mix the way I wanted. For now it's just Amplitude3, until I get a chance to try reamping them myself.
Altho I'm not sure if I can create a tone with that kind of flavor with my rig.

3 Tracks of Bass. Low, Grind/Klank and Distortion.
The Bass sounded a bit pre-processed allready to me (like through some sort of bass pedal BDDI ish), but it could be the sound of the bass itself.
edit: ah, just saw the bass recording chain in the OP. explains it. still worked good imo!

Distortion on almost everything iirc :loco:

that should cover the basics ;)

I dunno if you also edited the tracks, but the drumediting could be a lot cleaner. Lot's of loops and a lot of fucking with the transients.
But I dunno if the drummers timing was so off that it wasn't possible to edit it a bit smoother^^

https://soundcloud.com/jack-baker/reap-first-rough-bounce

Been ill as fuck the last few days, and I generally don't have the energy to automate this right now, and in general i'm not happy with it, especially the bass, just can't get it to sit right.
Also if the levels are unbelievable and all voer the place, blame my ears, this illness has hit me pretty hard physically :lol:

Anyway, for what I used/did

drums all natural except snare, just a bit of eq and compression, plus a transient designer on the kick, also i've done nothing to the toms except edit them, completely forgot about them to be honest, all sent to a drum buss with waves SSL, stillwell transient monster, and a reverb send
Snare is a blend of the natural one and sneap's chimaira sample/charles j wall snare

Bass is split into 3 tracks, sub (lp at 30, hp at 200 and compression to stop it from jumping around), mids (lp at 200) and grind (ampsim, lp at 1k, hp at about 300), then compressed together plus a c6 sidechained to the kick

Guitars are a blend of the recto and mark iv tracks for extra fatness, just a bit of surgical eq to take out resonant/undesireable frequencies, although I don't think i got them all

Vocals are an api eq, cla 2a and ambience, then 1176 and SSL bus comp to bring it up in volume a bit

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/419882/ReapV1.mp3

Very cool track! Did a fairly quick mix without vocals. Still have more balancing/automation and cleaning up to do.
Quick info, used mostly naturel drums with SSD4 on Kick and Snare just augmenting to fatten it up. Reamped the main guitars through my trustworthy Marshall Valvestate w/o TS. Rest of the GTR's are the original tracks and Match EQ'd to the rest. Bass was uuuhr.. a lot, will have to look into that one later. Lots of Waves CLA and Decapitator on pretty much everything, hope you guys enjoy