A 35 Minute Set? WTF!

Rev Jim Jones

Hey kool-aid man!
Dec 17, 2001
Guyana
angelfire.com
So I just found out Dark Tranquillity and Hypocrisy are only playing 35 minutes sets. I am so fucking pissed right now! Basically it feels like I’ve been swindled. For the two previous tours I’ve regretfully and painstakingly passed them up because of the 8 hour drive to get to the closest venue being that I live in Bumfuck, Egypt (AKA Montana) I’ve been waiting for a good headlining tour, then when I saw Hypocrisy being on this tour I couldn’t say no to two of my favorite bands coming all the way from Sweden to tour the states.

Now though It’s like I can’t get over this short set list, I can’t concentrate on work or anything else it just seems like such a travesty and it is so disheartening they are playing such…I mean, 35 minutes! That’s almost nothing isn’t it? Especially compared to 16 hours in the car. Man somebody say something to help ease the blow and make we want to see this show like it did yesterday or months ago, because right now I just can’t get over that they shouldn’t have at least 45 minute sets, especially with Soilwork playing 80 minutes…it’s really fucked up!

In the Art of Noise Tour with Nile, 2 years ago, their setlist was 25 minutes short.

Hrhr ;)

Anyway, I saw DT in Hannover where they played only 45 minutes and I can say that for those 45 minutes, Id have driven 8 hours.
If that's not helping, I dunno what is :p

Sure we would all like to see DT play longer but I look at it as quality over quantity.
As I'm going to 3 shows I guess I get 105 minutes of DT live :headbang:
btw I'm flying 1200 miles to see one of the shows -
@ Rev JJ, relax and have fun, and keep in mind They may never pass our way again -

think of it this way, it's 35min x2 you would not have seen them otherwise. i understand what you mean cause i've also driven far and spent lots of money to see a bands for just a short time. the fact that i got to see them always outweighs the duration of the set. the alternative is that you dont go, you dont get to see them at all. and for me they end up being the ones i regret not going to, despite the logistical reasons. i dont think you can put a monetary or numerical value on the experience of going.

besides in that short time they're both gonna tear it up.

i'm not a fan of complaints over short sets, as after all it's nothing the band has any control over. it's kind of petty to come and whine about it: break your piggy bank and rent dt a stadium in every capital city in europe, if you want to do something useful.

however, i find it annoying that even after a hugely successful album like character, dt are still stuck opening for major acts such as kreator or co-headlining with other melodeath bands such as soilwork. it's about time they get their own boost and chance at widening their fanbase. in fact, since no one can stay "up there" for long, it might be a matter of now or never.

hm yes a headlinertour would be well deserved really, but after all, its great they can play, even if its "just" 35 minutes, and I still would travel a lot to see a band I like even for 35 minutes (actually thats what I'll do for anathema end of the month) :)

Ah, what more to say.. if they's just play _one_ song, I'd go nevertheless..I mean, it's DT, for crying out loud ;)

Don't worry, man... I mean, I know you'll feel sorry cuz they played such a short setlist, but I bet your enthusiasm and happiness will overcome that fact :) Just, enjoy!

Ta ta :wave:

DragonLady1 said:
and I still would travel a lot to see a band I like even for 35 minutes (actually thats what I'll do for anathema end of the month) :)

oh yeah
I just found out that the porcupine tree/anathema-gig in karlsruhe moved to a 5x bigger location and Im happy that I already have my tickets
it seems that a lot of people will travel a long way just for anathema(dont think its because of porcupine tree)

They should get a metalcore band from america to tour with them and do like 1hr set each. The metalcore band would bring in all the kids, and then they'd see where metalcore found its roots. Everyone wins. Godforbid Unearth and Dark Tranquillity. Im sure Century Media can set that up. They will play venues in the UK too. yada.

well i'm sick of the metalcore opening band trend. DT, Hypocrisy, and Soilwork could all be headliners on their own, so it makes for an amazing tour. obviously all 3 cannot play headlining sets but you sure as hell get your money's worth and a show you wont forget. i mean, you don't that often get to go to a show where you want to see more than one band, and shoot i dont think i've EVER been to a show where i really wanted to see all the bands.

hm sometimes there are but true, it doesnt happen that often... just remember the 99 tour with Children Of Bodom, In Flames, DT and Arch Enemy... that was a hell of a great tour! but actually the one with Kreator this year was great too and exept of Ektomorf (not that they are so bad but well, not that much my cup of tea) I really enjoyed every band on the bill!

solefald said:
oh yeah
I just found out that the porcupine tree/anathema-gig in karlsruhe moved to a 5x bigger location and Im happy that I already have my tickets
it seems that a lot of people will travel a long way just for anathema(dont think its because of porcupine tree)

you are crazy. I would travel far for both anathema and Porcupine tree as both are amazing bands :Spin:

Ever since Character released (actually, since it 'released' on the web), I've been hyping it to all of my friends - unfortunately, I don't know that many hardcore metalheads who'd have enough time/money to go to concerts whenever I suggested them.

And as far as the opener to draw a crowd, well Mnemic is playing the BB King show, but I'm not even really sure what the hell they are. I downloaded some of their stuff, and I don't find any of it really memorable. I think I'll just try and hunt down the band and hang out with them during the other sets like I did last time.

~kov.