WTF Is Powermetal??

Yeah Znowhite kick ass! Also we have to mention Kate from Acid, Doro Pesch (Warlock in case somebody wonders), Veronica Freeman from Benedictum, Irena "Rosa" Bol from STOS, Angelica Häggström from Stormwind, Sarah Bonetti from Moon Of Steel.

And no one mentions Jutta Weinhold of Zed Yago/Velvet Viper?! o_O
Geez guys, the woman was called 'female Dio' for a good reason! :cool:
Not to mention Federica De Boni (ex-White Skull)...

Forward to where? :saint:

Actually was pisses me off is that the people into those bands want to homologate them with metal, it's like homologate punk or jazz. Nothing to do with metal in my opinion.

But you know what people say about opinions, they're like asses everyone have one :lol: (actually I took that from a Dirty Harry movie).

One question, has anyone had defined yet wtf is power metal? :p

In Satanism we believe that it is only possible to improve when admitting you have a flaw, embrase it and try to improve that flaw

and to your question:
Personally I don't care about genres, I just listen to the music I like. You can't even categorize most bands cuz they have influences of various genres in their music.
:)

And no one mentions Jutta Weinhold of Zed Yago/Velvet Viper?! o_O
Geez guys, the woman was called 'female Dio' for a good reason! :cool:
Not to mention Federica De Boni (ex-White Skull)...

Hear, hear!
There are quite a lot of new bands with great female vocalists. Mystery Blue, Stormbringer, Polaris, Orpheo, Delphian, The Ottoman Empire, Estrum, Ignitor... Too many to mention and, as always, underestimated, underexposed and overlooked. Now what does that tell you?

In Satanism we believe that it is only possible to improve when admitting you have a flaw, embrase it and try to improve that flaw

Hmm sounds like all the rest of the organized religions to me. Not much of a discovery if you ask me.

BTW, I'm flawless I'm a Wyvern.

NP: Lana Lane - 'Someone To Believe'

even though you are talking about "to each its own" I know alot of old school metal heads (and even more on UM) that bitch about how shitty nu-metal is, I think they just want to piss off the whole young generation but I don't see the use of that. Breaking down artists is just plain wrong to me even if you don't like their music. I think you'd be taking away the dignity of all the fans by doing that

Speaking for myself, "pissing off the whole young generation" has nothing to do with why I bitch about nu-metal-emo-screamo mallcore or whatever they're calling it these days. I bitch because I hate it, and my opinion is: it's one dimensional, pissed off music with shitty singing, little melody or hooks, and virtually no guitar solos (a staple of rock music).

You may take offense of my harsh criticisms of nu-metal and the ilk, but that's where I stand...proudly, with no intentions of pissing you off.

I don't hate the young generation for listening to it. I hate The Industry for force-feeding this crapola as music. From Nirvana on it stopped being about the music. The Industry realized that they could sell alot of albums by taking the easy road and simply preying on teenager's emotional achilles heel...angst and anger. It even got to a point where The Industry "formed" their own bands based on look rather than musical ability, not unlike pop music's "boy bands" (backstreet boys and n'sync).

Back in my day mainstream radio and MTV metal included great bands such as Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, Queensryche, Savatage, Helloween, Saxon, etc. It was all about music and artists back then. I feel fortunate for the times I grew up in because I didn't have to wallow thru a cesspool of sewage to get to the rose garden. I was born in the rose garden.

I started out with bands like Slipknot and Mudvayne ans stuff like that but through them I've learned about he older bands like Slayer, Helloween, Saxon, etc. and I must say you are right about those diffrences. it's all about the image these days and less about the music.

I'm happy to hear you say, at 19, that mainstream metal eventually led you to great bands like Slayer, Helloween, and Saxon. That is music that stood the test of time...it's still admired, by young (you) and old (me). I seriously doubt Slipknot and Mudvayne will hold that honor in 20 years. You guys that got started on it will probably enjoy it for old time's sake and memories. Other than that, I think it will be mostly forgotten.

What would You call bands like candlemass, or king diamond... they both employ elements of power metal...

i was just trying to get sombody's opinion on this hahah

or what about watchtower... is that power metal?

I agree with you but far as I've heard , Candlemass is considered doom while KD, Mercyful Fate & Watchtower could be considered power metal. :loco: It's enough to drive ya to drinkin'. :kickass:

I never said to change your views, it's just the way you express them
:erk: I think you meant "it's just the way some people express them" because I dont believe I ever spoke ill of anyone.

WYVERN said:
One question, has anyone had defined yet wtf is power metal?
No, I dont believe so. One thing we can be sure of is either midpaced or at breakneck speeds, power Metal will make your explode:lol:

Any sane man can see that in some select cases nu-metal can serve as a pathway to other forms of metal.

Is it a coincidence that the subject of do not hate, turn up inside a flower metal thread:heh: j/k

and back to Power Metal, if PM is Speed Metal then Speed Metal is a term of no further use?:zombie:

The way I understand it is...the word speed is often used as a secondary description ... power/speed, melodic/speed progressive/speed or speed/thrash rather than being a genre in and of itself. I don't think speed/thrash metal bands like Overkill, Sabbat or Exodus could be considered power metal by any stretch of the imagination so let's not drop the term from our vocabulary just yet. While there are many power/speed bands - not all speed metal is PM IMO. :loco:

Personally I don't care about genres, I just listen to the music I like. You can't even categorize most bands cuz they have influences of various genres in their music.

I totally agree with you. I feel the same way, but unfortunately bands do have to be classified into genres and sub-genres. It is a necessary evil. It is extremely unfair to many bands and listeners, but it is the way it has to work.

Bryant

I know quite a few guys who are 10 or 15 years younger than I am who recognize those differences. To them that is as much a quality issue as it is for the 'older' generation. Nu metal is an industry produced fad and, like so many other fads out there, it will pass (it has, in fact, already passed for the industry itself). You can't fool real music fans, whatever their age.

I agree with you about 90%. Because I am an "oldschool" guy, I really don't care for "nu-metal" but ALL bands are far from talentless hacks. "Disturbed" is a pretty damned good band despite being over-played. Staind is also not too bad, though it is tough to categorize them as "nu-metal". The greatest example though is definitely Tool. They created their own freaking genre, much like Savatage etc. but they are listened to by the "nu-metal" crowd.

Bryant

@Wyvern: well it's not, I'd explain it to you but that would go to far off-topic

@Trans-Siberian Outcast: altough I agree with you that those bands won't be remembered as much as Helloween, Maiden, etc. they need to exist for the youngers to get in touch witht the older bands. Bitching about on them will just get them to enjoy their spare time someplace else than UM. That will only encourage them to listen to their music even more, best thing to do imho is to recommend them the older rock and metal. Initiation needs to be done by other bands than the older ones

@priest: yes, I was talking in general