WTF Is Powermetal??

@ Wyvern

Of course you're right about 'to each his own'. The Dungeons & Dragons thing is often associated with happy metalbands like Rhapsody, from which, imho, stem the often violent reactions of old school metalheads to this type of whimsical escapism. During the second half of the nineties it's almost become a formula and, besides, it's been done to death, which doesn't help either.

I remember young metal fans waving their little plastic swords in the front row of a HammerFall gig, I thought that was really amusing (as was the wooden castle on stage, slightly shaking from the decibels produced). And anyway, it beats all that negative ghetto/hip hop culture, doesn't it?

@ Wyvern

Of course you're right about 'to each his own'. The Dungeons & Dragons thing is often associated with happy metalbands like Rhapsody, from which, imho, stem the often violent reactions of old school metalheads to this type of whimsical escapism.

Which is sad and immature won't you agree? What's wrong with happiness? Is not what mankind is looking for? I'm tired of being pissed off, depressed and shitty all day. I'm changing my life, metal has always helped me to stand tall in dark times, either with Hammerfall or with Coroner, Freedom Call or Venom.

And anyway, it beats all that negative ghetto/hip hop culture, doesn't it?

RIGHT! :kickass:

Which is sad and immature won't you agree? What's wrong with happiness? Is not what mankind is looking for? I'm tired of being pissed off, depressed and shitty all day. I'm changing my life, metal has always helped me to stand tall in dark times, either with Hammerfall or with Coroner, Freedom Call or Venom.

+1 for that

even though you are talking about "to each its own" I know alot of old school metal heads (and even more on UM) that bitch about how shitty nu-metal is, I think they just want to piss off the whole young generation but I don't see the use of that. Breaking down artists is just plain wrong to me even if you don't like their music. I think you'd be taking away the dignity of all the fans by doing that

+1 for that

even though you are talking about "to each its own" I know alot of old school metal heads (and even more on UM) that bitch about how shitty nu-metal is, I think they just want to piss off the whole young generation but I don't see the use of that. Breaking down artists is just plain wrong to me even if you don't like their music. I think you'd be taking away the dignity of all the fans by doing that

That is probably true too. As a metalhead of the older generation, I have to say there is a difference not only between genres, but also between attitudes and communities. It would, however, take more than a couple of overlong postings on an internet forum to go into that.:rolleyes:

I wonder, though, how many nu/goth metal albums will be remembered 20 years from now. A lot of it is about marketing, videos and production. In traditional metal, those elements have an increasing influence on things (sadly), but the main thing still is songwriting with melodies. It's about music, not 45 minutes of tiresome anger.

I know quite a few guys who are 10 or 15 years younger than I am who recognize those differences. To them that is as much a quality issue as it is for the 'older' generation. Nu metal is an industry produced fad and, like so many other fads out there, it will pass (it has, in fact, already passed for the industry itself). You can't fool real music fans, whatever their age.

Well I don't know how old you are but I'm almost 19 so you could say I'm part of that "new generation". I started out with bands like Slipknot and Mudvayne ans stuff like that but through them I've learned about he older bands like Slayer, Helloween, Saxon, etc. and I must say you are right about those diffrences. it's all about the image these days and less about the music.
But this doesn't mean it's 45 minutes of anger, that depends on the genre, even the loudest metal band has some nice melodical guitars in a few songs. Good music is still being made by new bands too these days.

Well I don't know how old you are

Good music is still being made by new bands too these days.

#1: I'm 19+19+4.:)
#2: Very true. TimeLord, Crescent Shield, Embers Of Euphoria, Pharaoh, Hammers Of Misfortune, Shadowkeep, to name just a few.
'Pity, though, that a lot of these new bands get little or no exposure in the media. That's why intend to bring some of them to the UM Old School Forum's attention. First one up: Immortal Avenger - see the eponymous thread and check out their new EP 'Sound the alarm'.

:cry: I'm not good at math :p

you can always try that but alot of them are just gonna get bitched on whether they get media attention or not, I've seen it before

+1 for that

1) I'm one of those I must admit that

2) I'm not trying to piss anyone, I don't even consider that metal is mallcore

3) Again to each its own. Anyone happy with that music....well if the person is happy, good!

4) Sadly is in the human nature to demote that which we don't like, I'm not apologizing for that you're absolutely right. Wish I can say I will mend my ways in the future, but I'm not a politician

Peace

NP: Saxon - 'If I was You'

Any sane man can see that in some select cases nu-metal can serve as a pathway to other forms of metal.

This doesnt however mean that our own personal opinions of nu-metal should be one of praise just because it has opened some minds to more traditional metal ways.

Is it a coincidence that the subject of do not hate, turn up inside a flower metal thread:heh: j/k

and back to Power Metal, if PM is Speed Metal then Speed Metal is a term of no further use?:zombie:

Any sane man can see that in some select cases nu-metal can serve as a pathway to other forms of metal.

This doesnt however mean that our own personal opinions of nu-metal should be one of praise just because it has opened some minds to more traditional metal ways.

Is it a coincidence that the subject of do not hate, turn up inside a flower metal thread:heh: j/k

and back to Power Metal, if PM is Speed Metal then Speed Metal is a term of no further use?:zombie:

Does Power Metal need to be fast though? I have heard songs by Nightwish that I would class as Symphonic Power Metal but are played at mid-tempo.

I think Metalcore is just a fad like Nu Metal and to an extent Female fronted Metal bands or bands using the Beauty and the Beast vocal style are becoming quite faddish, though I dont think it is fair to rule out women vocalists in metal as just a fad as that is slightly sexist to imply that women have no place in the future of metal. Bands like Lacuna Coil and the goth craze will pass but there will still be a place for gothic styled Doom Metal or even Black Metal or Death Metal with female vocals in the future.

Does Power Metal need to be fast though? I have heard songs by Nightwish that I would class as Symphonic Power Metal but are played at mid-tempo.

Interesting. To even remotely associate Nightwish with (symphonic) power metal seems, well, weird. That's gothic 'metal' to me, almost pop music and FM-radio compatible. The same goes for Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil and bands of that ilk. There's one ballroom dress too many on stage for a metal band, if you ask me.

Power metal can be speedy, but I think the best stuff in the genre are the midtempo songs. Looking back, power metal, for me, originated in the early eighties with Riot ('Fire down under') and Savatage. Now those guys were HEAVY.
One could even argue that some of the tracks on Satan's classic NWoBHM 'Court in the act' LP are the dawning of power metal. Listen to 'Blades of steel' or 'Trial by fire' and you see the connection.
Power metal, that'd be Lethal, Gargoyle, Axehammer, Apollo Ra, Commander, the mighty Fifth Angel, Griffin, Chastain, Attacker. Not symphonic, not frilly, not elf-costumed - but METAL.:headbang:

P.S.
Some of the best vocalists in metal are women: Dawn Crosby (R.I.P.), Chastain's Leather Leone, Olivia from the brilliant US-progmetalband Polaris, Debbie Gunn from Znöwhite, Erika from Ignitor, to name a few. More power to the girls in metal!

Nightwish is like a power metal band playing on stage at the same time as an Opera singer with her symphony backing, Within Temptation is similar only more poppy. I would not call Opera FM radio material personally. What this question ultimately is posing however is what is Metal. Sunn get considered metal but they have done shows without guitars before.

Nightwish's Oceanborn and Wishmaster were and are definitely (euro)power metal albums, and pretty damn good ones too. I guess you can say the new stuff is FM-radio compatible, but it's still good, "real" music IMO and can definitely not be in any way compared to the Idols-style products we see a lot these days. That stuff is just out there to make €€€, and even if you dislike NW you have to acknowledge that at least they're about actual songwriting and musicianship.

I kinda like Within Temptation too...

P.S.
Debbie Gunn from Znöwhite

Yeah Znowhite kick ass! Also we have to mention Kate from Acid, Doro Pesch (Warlock in case somebody wonders), Veronica Freeman from Benedictum, Irena "Rosa" Bol from STOS, Angelica Häggström from Stormwind, Sarah Bonetti from Moon Of Steel.

Nightwish first three albums were Euro power metal (there goes the tags!)with symphonic elements, afterwards...I reserve my comments.
Within Tempatation was a nice goth/metal band up to "Mother Earth" and then stop to caught my interest. Same with Lacuna Coil and the terrible (IMO) "Karmacode".

NP: Helloween - ' Deliver Us From Temptation'

I never said to change your views, it's just the way you express them

@Wyvern: well admitting it is a big step forward

anyway: I think the line between power metal and gothic metal is hard to see sometimes, just look at the new Krypteria album, it's definitly a mix between gothic and power metal (great cd btw).

@Wyvern: well admitting it is a big step forward

Forward to where? :saint:

Actually was pisses me off is that the people into those bands want to homologate them with metal, it's like homologate punk or jazz. Nothing to do with metal in my opinion.

But you know what people say about opinions, they're like asses everyone have one :lol: (actually I took that from a Dirty Harry movie).

One question, has anyone had defined yet wtf is power metal? :p

I consider power metal to be mid to fast tempo metal with a strong melodic singer. Songs usually don't go past the 7 minute mark, unlike a lot of Prog Metal. There is also less emphasis on musicianship for the sake of the song.

Oh yeah, and Dragons are a must! :lol:

This What i always thought Power Metal was too...

What would You call bands like candlemass, or king diamond... they both employ elements of power metal...

i was just trying to get sombody's opinion on this hahah

or what about watchtower... is that power metal?