A beautiful mind

Wildsau

www.anathema.de
Nov 22, 2001
Germany
www.anathema.de
Yesterday I saw the movie with Russell Crowe. I really cannot believe they did not gave him the Oscar for that movie. Though I think the academy awards are a big pile of shite Crowe should have won it. But obviously that night was the black night.

Then again Ron Howard is titled best director instead of Jackson for LOTR. Hard to believe.

Nevermind. A Beautiful Mind is a class movie with an even better cast. And surprisingly they did not get too far away from the book.
The score is very emotional, maybe a little too dramatic from time to time. Crowe's acting is really intense and touching with being pathetic.

Conclusion: Go see the movie. It's really worth it!

the movie was ok.I mean it was not a masterpiece but also not a sucky one too.
Nevertheless, I must mention that Russel's puppy-dog-looks made me bored while watching it time to time,and I don't think he's a good actor. It's like the same look in his face in every single movie he played :rolleyes:

Haven't seen the movie yet, but Crowe was excellent in Michael Manns The Insider with Pacino... Not once did I think "I'm watching Crowe play some fat old geezer with that same look upon his face" :)

Originally posted by fainéant
Pardon, I think this movie sucked ass. A trite Hollywood deception made for all the sheep in the world.

A great film is a great film and ''A beautiful mind'' is one of these. It's all about the taste that it leaves you in the end, I dunno about ''Holywood deceptions'' or such things, i leave them for the non-sheeps around the world to solve these riddles...:rolleyes:
And to get a little out of the theme, i don't like it when someone ( i'm not talking personal for you fainiant of course ;) ) is prejudised
sometimes even before seeing a film just because it comes from Hollywood ( a blockbuster for example), it's the same with people that accept everithing that hollywood passes them...;)

Well, I can't say that it was an excellent film, nor can I say that it sucked. It had its good and its bad parts. I really like the way Crow acted... I think he is an ok actor, since he has played very good roles (L.A. Confidential, The Insider) and some bad roles (The Gladiator - the most boring movie I've ever seen). But this is all objective. Feel free to disagree hehehe :p

Anyway, take care :)

have to agree with you there, dying swan. i never saw why people loved the gladiator so much. there was nothing special there. on the other, another movie with a similar theme: BEN HUR. now that is a masterpiece and did deserve those 13 oscars!

Originally posted by Elmarad
A great film is a great film and ''A beautiful mind'' is one of these. It's all about the taste that it leaves you in the end

Then limp bizkit fans are right and Limp Bizkit rules! I don't know about you but your logic gives an unpalatable conclusion.

I dunno about ''Holywood deceptions'' or such things, i leave them for the non-sheeps around the world to solve these riddles...:rolleyes:

indeed you should, my man. :p

And to get a little out of the theme, i don't like it when someone ( i'm not talking personal for you fainiant of course ;) ) is prejudised
sometimes even before seeing a film just because it comes from Hollywood ( a blockbuster for example), it's the same with people that accept everithing that hollywood passes them...;)

I've seen the movie. I "enjoyed" it as far as being entertained goes, but does it merit the accolades that it's gotten? I don't think so. (refer to previous post).

cheers

Then limp bizkit fans are right and Limp Bizkit rules! I don't know about you but your logic gives an unpalatable conclusion.
Erm I wil disagree with you fainiant...
Films and music - and any kind of art - has nothing to with right or wrong... It has to do with taste... Limp Bizkit fans like Limp Bizkit and that's why they listen to Limp Bizkit. There is nothing wrong about poeple liking a certain group.
If someone likes britney spears they are free to listen to britney spears.
Saying that listening to a group is wrong, is a sort of censorship, a thing that I am totally against...

Anyway, take care...
"Free will... She's a bitch..."
(Al Pacino in "Devil's Advocate")

Originally posted by Dying_Swan
Erm I wil disagree with you fainiant...
Films and music - and any kind of art - has nothing to with right or wrong... It has to do with taste... Limp Bizkit fans like Limp Bizkit and that's why they listen to Limp Bizkit. There is nothing wrong about poeple liking a certain group.
If someone likes britney spears they are free to listen to britney spears.
Saying that listening to a group is wrong, is a sort of censorship, a thing that I am totally against...

Anyway, take care...

I'm not sure if your post has anything to do with mine.

I'm saying:

If one resorts to assertions such as

"A great film is a great film and ''A beautiful mind'' is one of these"

And then seeks to justify them with statements such as

"It's all about the taste that it leaves you in the end."

One is only saying that BM is a great film because he likes it. The same can hold true of anything. Some guy can say limpbizkit is better than Anathema because he likes it more- there is a great "taste that it leave in the end". It's not meaningful statement in itself, and it's not much of a justification for anything.

cheers

What i'm saying is that you can't be objective when you talk about ''art'' ( films, music or whatever) cause if you'll like it or not comes not from an ''objective quality'' but from your personal preferences, your judgement, your culture or anything...If someone believes that Limp Bizkit rules, no matter what you''ll say to him, like ''it's crap'' or anything (by the way it is :D) it will not change his opinion...

indeed you should, my man. :p
[/B]
I also usually get pissed of by Hollywood films (many of them are ''real'' bullshit) but, in my opinion of course, ''A beautiful mind'' isn't such a film. Anyway, as i said before, it's all subjective...

cheers

fact #1: Mr. John Forbes Nash is a divorced person.

fact #2: He is bisexual, cheated his wife with several guys.

fact #3: He got a young nurse pregnant and abandoned her to welfare.

fact #4: At school he was an arrogant prick who kept mocking out at people who were not at his intellectual level. everybody pretty much hated him.

as you see, Hollywood's version of his life was pretty lightened up.

Originally posted by Claire's Horror
fact #1: Mr. John Forbes Nash is a divorced person.

fact #2: He is bisexual, cheated his wife with several guys.

fact #3: He got a young nurse pregnant and abandoned her to welfare.

fact #4: At school he was an arrogant prick who kept mocking out at people who were not at his intellectual level. everybody pretty much hated him.

as you see, Hollywood's version of his life was pretty lightened up.
Well, a movie based on a true story doesn't have to be that precise. If it told the facts as they were, then it would be a documentary, not a movie. And this is the reason why they say "BASED on a true story". They take the original idea from a true story, and then remove parts of thestory, while adding imaginery parts.

I judge a film on the basis of whether I liked it or not, and not on whether it resembles actual facts. And I must say that I liked the film. Not that it was an excellent film, but the storyline was ok. One can watch it easily.

Take care...

yeah, well, thing is, it shows a distorted reality and people buys into it. the film is in itself ok, but I just hate it when Hollywood transforms a cruel world into a Disney-like one where everybody's happy at the end: the promised utopia of the American capitalist hedonism. blah.

Originally posted by Claire's Horror
yeah, well, thing is, it shows a distorted reality and people buys into it. the film is in itself ok, but I just hate it when Hollywood transforms a cruel world into a Disney-like one where everybody's happy at the end: the promised utopia of the American capitalist hedonism. blah.
Couldn't agree more... That's why you should always question everything you see/hear. And this is why most poeple hate Hollywood films.

Take care :)