A Couple Of Amp Questionx

FarBeyondMetalGONE

New Metal Member
Sep 27, 2005
AUsTraLIA
Q1: Does Andy Have his 5150 Biased differently than stock?
i'm happy with the sound of stock 5150's but i always hear of people getting them modded and whatnot...

Q2: Are GT75's Harsher sounding than V30's?

FarBeyondMetal said:
Q2: Are GT75's Harsher sounding than V30's?

Yes. The V30's have a smoother top-end.

As far as your first question, I have no idea, but I'm sure if Andy sees it he'll answer you. As far as mods for the 5150 go...from my experience it's mostly very little in change depending on the mod(s) you go with, and from where. I know some people have recently had theirs outfitted with the bias mod, and it makes a very subtle change in sound...very subtle. There's a few other mods that really do make a difference though, like the quiet mod, takes away a TON of noise from the 5150. I've been thinking about getting that mod for mine for a long time. Anyway...yeah...

~006

006 said:
There's a few other mods that really do make a difference though, like the quiet mod, takes away a TON of noise from the 5150. I've been thinking about getting that mod for mine for a long time. Anyway...yeah...

~006

Who does that mod? Do they do it for the XXX?

Wolfeman, check this page for the other mods commonly done to a 5150/6505/5150II/6505+. Also there are some sound clips on that site of the amps with those mods done to them. :) As far as them offering them for the XXX, there's only a couple of mods available ATM for those, check out that site for more info.

~006

Yeah so I found out that my amp has that built in from the factory, gives me three different settings, but none of them do a really good job... maybe I should have just got a 5150....

If you know how to work on electronics:
try changin R10 & R12 to 100k ,try bypassing R16 (maybe put a cap across it, ala Bogner?), you might also want to change C19 to .68uf that would definately boost the gain back up.
thats the general idea of what needs to be done to these amps to fix up the cheezball distortion.
And remember ALWAYS discharge your filter caps first.

Mr. Brokenamp said:
If you know how to work on electronics:
try changin R10 & R12 to 100k ,try bypassing R16 (maybe put a cap across it, ala Bogner?), you might also want to change C19 to .68uf that would definately boost the gain back up.
thats the general idea of what needs to be done to these amps to fix up the cheezball distortion.
And remember ALWAYS discharge your filter caps first.
hmm, but your name is mr.brokenamp, can you be trusted! :loco: :p