A couple of finished tracks.

Glenn Fricker

Very Metal &Very Bad News
Mar 6, 2005
22 Acacia Avenue
Hey all, here's a couple of finished tracks from an upcoming album I've been working on. The group is "Black Kreek" and they were featured in a drum tracking video I posted a while back.

Here's the tracks:
http://www.myspace.com/spectresound
They're the first two tracks in the player: "Through and Through" and "My Struggle" by Black Kreek.

Here's the original 'in the studio' video if anyone wants to check that out, as well.
Tracking Drums

And, the album cover:
bkcover.jpg

Enjoy!

-0z-

checking it out now

btw, i sent you an email thru your site yesterday. i remember we talked a while back but i couldn't find the email contact i had for you (not sure if it was the same as what's on our site or not)

or so i thought, my system won't play mpu files :cry:

MKS said:
Vid links appears to be dead.
Fixed. Sorry 'bout that.
Fixed the song links, too. I'm still trying to figure out m3u scripting, which I obviously haven't mastered... so I've got it linked to my Hi-Res myspace player instead.

MMMM...your control room looks tasty mate - a real good place to work - how do you find having the monitors recessed like that - is the wall they are in an acoustic treatment or a proper wall? If you get what I mean.:lol:

Real nice air on the kick sound - sounds very old school - Alice in chains/Breed 77 esque. The only thing I dont agree with is the top end of the guitars but the punch power and balls are there - great job. Is the kick au naturel?

sounds great man!

just one question - your record room - its wood - i dont think its best material for recording stuff - wood adds muddness to the sound - or im wrong?

The room is a Reflection Free Zone based around a design by John Sayers. It took about 6 months of research, then an additional 6 months of construction to finish the job.
The front walls are solid wood, creating an "infinite baffle" by soffit mounting the monitors. The logic behind this is to keep the sound leaving the rear of the speaker from bouning off a front wall, then back to the mix position out of phase. When the speakers become part of the wall, sound only leaves the front. I've pulled the speakers out of the soffits & put them on stands, and the difference is huge. Especially in the bottom end.
The side walls are splayed at 6 degrees each to bounce any reflections past the mix position and into a rear wall trap. They also double as Hemholtz resonators (the walls are slotted) to absorb more low end.

Overall, yeah, it's a pretty cool room to work in & certainly takes the guess work out of mixing. The picture on the myspace page is out of date... my monitors are now Event ASP8, which has an even better bottom & are far easier on the ears.

As for the recording comments, thanks! The kick is 2 custom samples blended, and the rest of the kit is real. Guitars, I guess that's a personal taste thing, because I have picked up a lot of compliments on it. Myself, I'm in love with the tone.

-0z-

OzNimbus said:
The room is a Reflection Free Zone based around a design by John Sayers. It took about 6 months of research, then an additional 6 months of construction to finish the job.
The front walls are solid wood, creating an "infinite baffle" by soffit mounting the monitors. The logic behind this is to keep the sound leaving the rear of the speaker from bouning off a front wall, then back to the mix position out of phase. When the speakers become part of the wall, sound only leaves the front. I've pulled the speakers out of the soffits & put them on stands, and the difference is huge. Especially in the bottom end.
The side walls are splayed at 6 degrees each to bounce any reflections past the mix position and into a rear wall trap. They also double as Hemholtz resonators (the walls are slotted) to absorb more low end.
just by looking at the pic its unreal too see so much stuff - yeah its heard on a records thats the sound is great!

yeah, kick sound like a real monster!

Your mixes always sound great Oz. I love the guitar tone as well.
The kick drum sounds slightly weak to me though. I have the ASP8s also but mine are not wall mounted, nor do I have any traps. Do you use the Vintech dual 72 for guitars? I obtained one of these recently.
Are the guitars double or quad tracked?

While I do agree that the guitars could be a little less high-ended...it still sounds great.

Oz, how do you like your e604's?

~e.a

Well I ask because I used MD421's basically as dedicated tom mics for the past two years, and a month or two ago a guy brought in a set of e604's for his set...I was skeptical but I gave them a shot and was completely amazed. I like them a LOT more than the 421's...there was even a blind-test thread here that used an SM57, MD421, e604, and something else on toms. Most people preferred the clip that had the e604 :p

~e.a

Nice work man. I like the guitar tone too, though i'd say a slight (1/2-1 dB) reduction in the high end would stop them distracting from the rest of the mix. The bass sound is pretty cool too. Really fat, as are the toms. I like their seperation and tone.
Good stuff.

yeah that video was very cool man....I wish more ppl would post video's.....I think you should tape a whole session sometime....I'm talking the mixing process everything.....do they have any dvd's of that stuff out there???

Other than stuff like Metallica's "Some Kind Of Monster" DVD and the various metal band DVD's that have random studio footage I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything out there really. I've been looking the past few months myself with no luck. Let me know if you do find something though! And I also think Glenn-o should tape a whole session, would be neat to just see someone else's technique and procedures, etc.

~e.a

yea the video was killer you should just video everything through a project and post it cause i learn so much from visual :headbang:

Songs sound killer oz mighty good job with that and kinda cool we live so close, If you ever want a free hand around the studio setting up Mic's or whatever maybe shooting the video let me know. It would be an honor and great learning experience for me :p