a day and a half later....

MetalManCPA

Papa Opeth
May 19, 2001
Visit site
We've seen the footage more times then Staind being played on the radio.

But, as time goes on, the scale of what happened - those jets flying into the World Trade Center, and the resulting fireball.

Those twin towers collapsing.

The skyline - with the twin towers gone. I mean gone - not just damaged, with big holes in them - I mean totally gone!!!

Absolutely, totally, unfuckingbelievable. I just can't quite come to grips with just those visions. Once (if ever) those visions becomes clear, how the hell will I ever come to grips with the lives that were lost, or the fact the pentagon got hit, or the fact that 4 hijackings occured at the same time, or that our country was actually invaded - on our own soil, or the thought of the terror that occured for the people involved?

Please don't tell me that after time passes, it will diminish, or start to fade. Crap - the blizzard of '78 has had an everlasting impression on me - and that was just a snowstorm.

That's a curious idea, 'cuz god knows how many times I've imagined what I'd feel if I were about to die, in a plane crash for example.

I don't think I'd be very scared. If there's nothing I can do about it, why bother with all the hassle, screaming and such?

I've thought about it quite a few times, usually after dreams in which I die. I wouldn't scream etc., I'd just be afraid, and sad for all the people I know I'd never see again. Sorry I couldn't talk to them once more. Even if I got to ring them like the people on the oplanes, I'd still want to ring more people and talk to the people I rang for longer :(

Feelings sorrow for people who will miss me, would be overwhelming. I'm sure my own self pity would kick in, filling me with fear of possibly surviving and the sites and sounds that I might see and hear...the pain I'd feel. Then again, I can only imagine the feeling of surviving something so traumatic. Would I feel reborn or just have vicious nightmares?

I've heard the most chaotic things, which I expected to. Stories from the people that made it out. They saw and heard things. Victims burnt so badly in the stairwells they didn't even want to be helped out and were left behind along with the helpless in wheelchairs. The sound of the people screaming in the falling elevators. One man even discovered (unfortunately) why the restaurant owner across the street was putting little napkins all over the sidewalks before the buildings crumbled.

Sorry. I won't bring those types of things up again. But, those are the things that scare the shit out of me. The visions that your mind never lets go of for the rest of your life. I'm afraid of what the next few weeks will uncover. :s

Originally posted by Opet
Sorry. I won't bring those types of things up again. But, those are the things that scare the shit out of me. The visions that your mind never lets go of for the rest of your life. I'm afraid of what the next few weeks will uncover. :s

I don't blame you for being scared of them, it seems only senisble.

All of those things are frightening for sure. I fear more though the retaliation. There are a lot of pissed off policy and decision makers right now. I've read things on the washington post that make me very afraid; one Air Force rep saying that "we could level Kabul, if we had to." That scares the shit out of me. Mad policy makers, mad constiuents, Afghanistan is mobilizing their military, and Pakistan is being pressured for assistance (who now have nuclear capabilities). This could just be the tip of the iceberg.

That is why I really think Goerge Bush is the wrong president for this to happen under - if ne1 is going to take rash, thoughtless revenge and start a third world war it'll b him. I thought it was utterly ridiculous him saying he will make no distinction between the terrorist and the country that harbours them. Had it ever struck him they may have no choice? What good what retaliating like that do?

This should have been posted an hour ago but the site wasn't responding at all. Did that happen 2 ne1 else?

I remember the snow storm of 78 and I busted my leg skiing earlier so I couldn't even enjoy it.

I had a room mate who's father worked at NASA and he said that the people in the shuttle were talking to the command center as it fell into the ocean.

I'm also afraid of what will happen next and I'm having a hard time thinking that Bush will do anything different then anyone else in his position.

Enjoy the moment.....

Despite what we all think of Bush (the most inarticulate president ever, I'm sure - at least his father sounded somewhat intelligent) I don't think he quite has the ability to do anything too too rash - there are more intelligent people he'd have to go through to "level" anything - probably Colin Powell, for example, who I wish would've run for the Republican nomination for Presidential candidate.

Anyways - I don't think the people in the planes knew they were going to die - that's why they didn't resist the knives and cardboard cutters, they thought it was a standard hijacking, they'd land at some obscure airport, ransom would be demanded for them, they'd go home. If they knew the plane was headed for the WTC or the Pentagon, I think the stronger males on the plane would have resisted. I think because it was the fourth plane to go down, that's what may have happened on the Pennsylvania crashed plane - someone got a cellphone call on the plane that hijacked planes were crashing into significantly populated national momuments, and realized that it wasn't a standard hijacking.

Either that, or the plane was carefully shot down by an F-16 while it was over a sparsely populated area, so minimal lives would be lost. There has been very little coverage of that plane and the F-16's were scrambled over Washigton after the Pentagon got hit, and that plane was supposedly on it's way to Washington, so...

Actually the news has covered that plane a lot. They say a guy called his wife four times from it and said him and 3 or 4 other guys were gonna try and do something about the terrorists after taking a vote on what they wanted to do(they knew about an attack on the WTC). That was of course the last call received from him.

Ah. Well, that solves that. Thanks, winter-frost.

I was basing that post mostly on news from Tuesday itself - I've lost the ability to follow the story that closely since. Also, I've lost the ability to follow the debate on this forum, the "Americans deserve it" vs. the "How dare you say that?" types. Maybe eventually I'll be able to get my thoughts on that matter together and decide to make a very lengthy post... but not yet.

Part of me wants to start a new thread on this, but another part of me doesn't want to encourage any more of the racist garbage some have been spewing, so I'll just post it here.

The Washington Post-ABC News poll that just came out says that 77% of Americans would support taking military action EVEN IF IT MEANT "INNOCENT CIVILIANS IN OTHER COUNTRIES MIGHT BE HURT OR KILLED"..... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/polls/vault/stories/data091401.htm

This is disgusting. Have some pride, America. Damn hypocrites. I'm sure Americans will be dancing just like the Islamic fundamentalists supposedly were. So gross. This country is nothing more than a fucking bunch of white trash rednecks.

There's a guy sitting in front of the public Library here in Halifax who's fasting for 48 hours in protest of the attacks, in memory of the dead, and to warn people of this "immediate racial reaction."

I'm getting a little worried that Canada is going to be dealt a very negative blow, since they're now saying that we had "involvement" in it. Which means that some terrorists came to the states from Canada.

Well, people.. it's Canada or Mexico, unless you're on a plane.

On top of that, they probably ferried to Maine from Yarmouth, NS, and at one point were probably in the Halifax airport. Now I work at an office-supply store in Halifax. At first, we said in jest that maybe they got their box-cutters from my store, but now it's looking like there's an honest possiblity they did!

Well.. it's still a slim chance.

If anyone still can, try to check out the Globe and Mail's Wednesday edition. There's a REALLY good "supplemental section," and for a photographer like me, the photojournalism is incredible.

I'm sure that the lives lost will be on the hearts and in the minds of people around the world for years to come..

Lina,

Maybe in your tiny little world "This country is nothing more than a fucking bunch of white trash rednecks."

It's not that way where I live in America!!!!
The more you post out here the more I wonder why the fuck you live here.

Enjoy the place you live or move because life is way too short not to be happy.