a different poll

RedCriss

Pyrawarrior
Feb 21, 2008
Ankh Morpork
After reading some posts in another thread ('Interesting') you make me curious:

Which is your favorite album of Pyramaze?

To make it all a little more interesting, here's the rules for voting:

1. You've got 30 points to distribute.
2. Each album has to get a minimum of 1 point.
3. Justify your vote!

I'll start it off:

Legend Of The Bone Carver 12 pts
Immortal 9 pts
Melancholy Beast 9 pts

I have to admit, I only got to know about Pyramaze because of Matt. I downloaded the samples on their website and was completely blown away! So of course I had really high expectations about Immortal... and this album got even better than I expected!

Nevertheless, while LotBC is still growing a little more with every spin, Immortal stays at the same (high) level that it reached after a few spins. I guess it's because LotBC is slightly more progressive and got some more speedy songs. I especially love the piano playing over that fast drums and guitars on 'Stange Words Within', so amazing. :headbang:

Btw, I will count the scores and post them...

Enough said, your turn now!

:kickass:

EDIT: final result (at least for the time being):

LEGEND OF THE BONE CARVER: 117 pts
MELANCHOLY BEAST: 110 pts
IMMORTAL: 103 pts

Voters: RedCriss, chrissie, TheAnonymous, Iced Dog, Obsolum, Rycher, Guthix, Olddoggie, The Wicked One, Burning In Hell, BurntOfferings666

Legend Of The Bone Carver 13 pts
Immortal 9 pts
Melancholy Beast 8 pts

I know Pyramaze before Matt Barlow and I needed some spins of Immortal to get really into it
and I like him more in Pyramaze than in Iced Earth.
LOTBC is my #1. The whole concept of this album is great.
What Lies Beyond and Souls In Pain are damned good songs
and Bring Back Life is the best ringtone I've ever had! :D
Everyone wakes up when I get a call. :headbang:

Melancholy Beast 12
Immortal 10
Legend of the Bone Carver 8

Or something like that anyway.
Usually I prefer non-concept albums, because often the songs are better individually that way. It's definately the case with MB, where pretty much every song is just fucking amazing. The same with Immortal, but slightly less, and LotBC is great, but individually the songs aren't quite as good as the other two. It's definately the most epic of the three though :)

Melancholy Beast - 15
LotBC - 14
Immortal - 1

I agree with Iced Dog in that MB is an extremely good debut album. Whenever it ends up in my playlist I still really really enjoy it.

LotBC actually took me quite some time to get into. In fact, it only really clicked this past summer. I had had the album in my collection since shortly after the release IIRC, but I never got into it. Until one day a couple of months ago when I was lying in the sun with my headphones on and I listened to the album from beginning to end. All of a sudden I was like... "Fuck, this is an awesome album! Great story!" I listened to the album a lot in the days after that. I guess I had just never really paid attention to the lyrics and the story before.

Immortal... what can I say? I gave it 1 point because that was mandatory :D

Immortal: 20
Legend of the Bone Carver: 6
Melancholy Beast: 4

I think Immortal is the best yet, with a beefed-up sound and more varied vocals and lyrical topics. Bone Carver is great musically, but the concept stuff just doesn't work for me on this album.

Still incredible albums though, but I really haven't listened to the first two albums since Immortal came out.

Since people stopped replying to this thread and I've got nothing better to do I decided to count the scores.

Redcriss, maybe you can edit your post and put this there.

Legend of the Bonecarver: 85
Melancholy Beast: 81
Immortal: 74

Yep, Obsolum, you're right, after an overwhelming minority of six voters, we seem to have the final results... as expected we've got one album that is without a doubt the most loved one, leading by... ahem... 1 point. :)

Melancholy Beast: 13
LotBC: 12
Immortal: 5

MB is an absolutely stunning debut and has a lot of diversity + it got me to know Lance's voice and Michael's song writing skills. Great rhythm section too, Morten and Niels know exactly how to make a tune work!
LotBC is an incredible successor and i like the storyline and songs a great deal. Toke makes the music even more exciting and definately added his mark on this one. I also like Jonah's more clear input in the music very much, great epicness...
Immortal is the odd one out here, as is Matt Barlow as a Pyramaze singer...as i feared before the release, i cannot fit in his voice...it's simply not good enough.

RedCriss, edit your post, dude :) I edited the total score in mine already so you can just c/p.

Melancholy Beast - 10

Legend of the Bone Carver - 10

Immortal - 10

Alrighty, so here are my votes! Remember people, get out and vote lol!:hotjump:

Melancholy Beast was an amazingly epic album for the debut album of a little unheard of band from Denmark. Being a fan of Lance's vocal work from his days with Balance of Power, I immediately snagged this gem from the Nightmare Records online store.

Legend of the Bone Carver I first received in the mail as a promo copy for the radio station I was working for at the time and it BLEW me away. It still does. In all fairness, I think its the best of the bands album, but since I think that they are all equally great in different ways, I had to give them equal votes. To this day every time I head the opening of Souls in Pain I get goosebumps.

Immortal. I dont even know where to start with this one. When I first suggested that the band get Barlow to come out of retirement, it was just a joke, knowing how big of an Iced Earth fan Michael was/is. But after the announcement that they had indeed got the legendary voice to come back into the spotlight, the album got me hooked. Then came the samples. "HOLY FUCK!" was my first thought after hearing the 4 minute clips of Year of the Phoenix and Caramon's Poem. Immediately after that thought, I realized I had a metal boner :yow: :headbang: The voice was back, and fit PERFECTLY with the music. In my humble opinion, Matt's voice fit better with Pyra-music than Lance's. But hey, that just my opinion. Feel free to disagree with it if you want. Immortal was a monumental album for the band, the fans and the metal community that rejuvenated the metal scene and ushered in the reunion of Matt Barlow and Iced Earth, which was a dream of many of the old school IE fans.

As for what the future hold:

Pyramaze - "IV" - Yet again, declaring that Urban should be the new vocalist when word of Matt's departure broke, I'm now 2 for 2 :loco: It will be interesting to hear the evolution of the band's sound going into their fourth album. I only got into Urban when he joined Bloodbound and Nosferatu really caught my attention. With the similarities in sound between the two bands, Urban should fit in perfectly. It would be nice this time around if the band included a few bonus tracks on the next album of Urban doing some of the older songs (eg: Legend, Souls In Pain and maybe even something off Immortal - Caramon's Pome for instance).

The DVD - well as we all know the band recorded a show back on the LotBC tour that has yet to see the light of day. I propose, as outrageous as it sounds, to have a 1 time, 1 night only special show feature all 3 of the bands vocalists, doing 3 complete sets. The Lance era, the Barlow era and the Breed era. That would be a first for metal (I could be wrong), and an awesome show, dvd, cd, concert and event for metalheads.

Legend of the Bone Carver ... BLEW me away. It still does. In all fairness, I think its the best of the bands album, but since I think that they are all equally great in different ways, I had to give them equal votes. To this day every time I head the opening of Souls in Pain I get goosebumps.

Yeah, SIP was the first song I heard of Pyramaze, and it grabbed me immediately! So amazing!

You're right, every album is great in it's own way. After listening to all three of them so often, each album is just a hair's breadth away from being the perfect album.

MB: Jonah's keys are more epic on LotBC and Immortal, also Toke's solos added something special on the other albums.

LotBC: The only thing I could live without would be the child's voice on 'What Lies Beyond' and the narration on 'Tears Of Hate'. I love 'Era of Chaos' and 'Blood Red Skies' though!

Immortal: I only miss some more 'progressive' parts... like the '7/8-beat-verse' in 'The Journey'.

To me, Pyramaze is the only band I know that has not released a single weak(er) song yet! Guess that's why they are my favorite band by far. :headbang: