A good laugh about the new Overkill tour...

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
The original post in the thread in the ATL Metal forum:

"May 10, 2012 at the Masquerade with support coming from Belphegor, Aborted, System Divide, Diamond Plate and Everybody's favorite Canadian band Blackguard!"

A subsequent reply:

"finally a chance to see blackguard live"

:lol:

I heard from a couple of people that the new Blackguard material is sounding very tight and much cooler than their previous stuff. Has anyone here heard any of it? I'm curious if that's actually the case...

I heard from a couple of people that the new Blackguard material is sounding very tight and much cooler than their previous stuff. Has anyone here heard any of it? I'm curious if that's actually the case...

the firefight stuff?? if so, I really like the new cd over the older one.

Hope they take the opportunities given to them to full advantage!!!

Running gag, it is. I really enjoyed their set at ProgPower last year, and they put in a lot of work, both rehearsing (the synchronized headbanging/hair twirling doesn't JUST happen) and touring.

Hats off to them for the hard work.

how is their CD? I enjoyed the track in their video and I usually hate this re-thrash stuff so that's saying alot

how is their CD? I enjoyed the track in their video and I usually hate this re-thrash stuff so that's saying alot

I have heard a few tracks....my problem with them is the vocals are a bit weak / no depth to them. They are more of a live band. My freind loves the disc.
For a young band they play like they have been around for 30 years. Seriously...it is crazy. I have seen them a bunch and everytime they play like they are playing in front of 10,000 people and they dont joke with the crowd like most local bands and stuff. Total pro's. Worth going to check them out.

The original post in the thread in the ATL Metal forum:

"May 10, 2012 at the Masquerade with support coming from Belphegor, Aborted, System Divide, Diamond Plate and Everybody's favorite Canadian band Blackguard!"

A subsequent reply:

"finally a chance to see blackguard live"

and don't forget to stop at their GINORMOUS merch table..you can't miss it! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

That tour is coming to Kansas City next April. I'm stoked. It'll be cool to see Aborted again. It's been since their Summer Slaughter appearance several years ago. And Belphegor are always fun. And it's been like six years since I last saw Overkill and they were incredible. Can't wait. It's on a Thursday, but I'll be okay. This show will be tits.

May 10, 2012 at the Masquerade

Metal bands are so weird! In every other genre, shows are announced like two months or less before the tour begins. May? More than half a year from now? Yeah, there are Euro bands on the tour, but they're not exactly bands that need to coordinate with the local symphony orchestras to put together their stage show. It's to the point where when I browse the the calendar on an individual club's website, the list of normal bands ends in December, and then there are like 6 metal shows listed back-to-back from January to June! Heck, there's at least a 30% chance the one of members of Overkill will get old and die between now and May. One of the kids in Diamond Plate might meet a girl in next semester's biology class who inspires him to pass out of his dorky metal phase and take up dubstep! Who knew *metal* dudes would be the most long-term, organized planners in all of music?

Neil

Neil,

You are forgetting the visa impact when it comes to booking. Everything has changed with the new visa laws. Proper visa applications include the venue and date you are playing. As strict as they are now with the reviews, this increases your chances of approval. The earliest you can apply is six months and bands are doing so so they have time to deal with any rejections.

That being said you will note that it is the venue that is releasing the dates, not the bands. Honestly, I do not think this is anything new. It is simply that in the day of the Internet, people cannot keep their mouth shut and leaks happen. Clubs are simply staying ahead of the leak. Furthermore, you have a very limited number of metal booking agents in the States. If one does something early, the others are going to follow suit for the most part. It's like airlines doing a price match.

Now, I cannot compare metal bands vs. other genres from other countries because I don't have enough examples to statistically guesstimate with like you do in the land of a millions shows/week.

Don't get me wrong though, the strategy of booking early has definitely changed over the years. Hell, look at what I do out what I feel is promotional necessity.

Glad to see they have the courage to come back to Times Square after the last debacle. Would really like to see them again without the distraction of a terrorist attack.

Don't get me wrong though, the strategy of booking early has definitely changed over the years. Hell, look at what I do out what I feel is promotional necessity.

I remember when Glenn did the announcements piece meal. You found out about the openers in January. The Headliners came in March/April. The first time I remember this changing was when Sonata Arctica jumped the gun and announced it themselves.

Yeah, it's really the apparent cultural difference between metal and non-metal tours that piques my curiosity. It makes me wonder, what does one side know that the other doesn't? Are the early-booking/announcing metal bands ahead of the curve in terms of how to do this stuff, or behind the curve? I can't really think of anything negative that comes from an early-announcement; sure, the risk of (non-visa-related) cancellation grows proportionally with the length of the time window, and that can certainly be an issue for the reputation of an annual festival that people travel to (and obviously you've decided the benefits outweigh the risks for PPUSA), but I don't think cancellation of a normal tour risks much consumer wrath towards the band, and certainly not towards the other faceless parties involved. So it makes me wonder if the non-metal bands book just as early and simply keep the news under-wraps longer for some reason, or have they actually found a way to do the visa thing on shorter notice?

But as you point out, it may not even take a coordinated shift to make what appears to be a cultural difference between genres; it might just be the one(?) guy who books all these metal tours that has decided to do things differently. And not all international metal tours have had such big time windows. Enslaved/Alcest/Ghost was about 3.5 months. Devin Townsend/The Ocean was 2 months, with The Ocean being added only a few weeks before the start. Maybe those weren't Finberg productions? Or maybe they were just kept under-wraps better for whatever reason.

Anyway, I'm embarrassed to say that I have not kept tour announcement dates in my spreadsheet, so I can't make any graphs. But the bottom three shows on Reggie's (Chicago) calendar are Dark Funeral/Belphegor (2/8), English Dogs (2/16), and Deicide (3/10), with only one other show listed in 2012 so far. And Reggie's calendar is only about 25% metal. In contrast, I've seen 17 international non-metal bands this year, and the only one I can recall with a lead time over two months was Godspeed You! Black Emperor with a 5 month lead. The most extreme example in the other direction was the Chicago World Music Festival announcing its lineup a mere two weeks before the fest began! I'm pretty sure that was more due to organizational scrambling than anything else though, and even with such a short window, they still had two visa-related cancellation announcements inside that two-week period.

Neil