Eluveitie Announces US Headlining Tour

I'm disappointed that they aren't coming anywhere near DC.

I actually just got into Eluvetie and I love it despite the harsh vocals. Disappointing that I won't be able to see them.

then we have.... guys start a band. They like the old Sabbath sound. They decide after drinking some PBR's that they want to play some doomish / sabbath inspired stuff. They by some used clothes from a thrift store or from Urban Outfiters. After working thier bike messenger jobs they practice a few times and play some shows.

Not all doom bands are from the Wicker Park area!

Wow... these threads keep taking odd turns.

As for the image thing, to me it's an image if it's not how the musicians dress in real life. The greater the departure, from something you'd leave your house wearing to go hang out with friends, the more critical the image is to who and what the band is.

Any band has a product to sell, whether that product is a CD, t-shirt, or a ticket to a show. That product must be marketed. Hell, a band logo aids in marketing. You can sometimes take a semi-educated guess at the genre of a band from their logo. So of course image is important.

As you say Zod, it becomes gimmick if the image is such an extreme departure.

For a band like Turisas, their image goes along with their lyrical content.
Plus their music is solid, and while I have never seen them, I have heard they deliver live.

Their are a ton of bands though who use image as nothing more as a marketing tool, and don't back it up with quality music.

I completely understand the knee-jerk reaction to my "gimmick" comment in relation to Eluveitie. It was more directed towards the many noob viking / folk bands that are choosing form over substance.

Bands of any and all genres are guilty of this.
Certainly not limited to viking / folk, but in the past couple of years, the number of culprits in this genre has certainly increased.

For a band like Turisas, their image goes along with their lyrical content.

As usual, you start out fine ...

But then you go and write this:

Plus their music is solid,

And all relevance of your post becomes nil. You start off with facts, and then you throw in your personal opinion as if it was a fact too.

As usual, you start out fine ...

But then you go and write this:

And all relevance of your post becomes nil. You start off with facts, and then you throw in your personal opinion as if it was a fact too.

I never said it was fact, though Turisas has proven success, in terms of the crowd reaction at their shows, as well as their CD sales. CM backs them up plenty over the past couple of years, with both tour support, reissues of their catalog, and a live DVD.

This has nothing to do with my personal opinion.
I don't even consider myself a Turisas fan, but I am more than willing to give a band props if they appear to deserve it based on the success they have achieved.

The point being that there are many bands of all genres who have not been successful when having a strong visual image, due to their sound not coming off as well, regardless of live or on disc.

Anyone else seeing this?

I caught this in Worcester on Thursday night. 3IoB couldn't make it due to transportation issues. System Divide were pretty cool - they weren't received very well, but Miri is great live. I didn't like Holy Grail at all, but a good chunk of people turned out just for them, with the crowd chanting their name after literally every song. Eluveitie were fantastic and I'm glad to have finally caught them. I was disappointed in the lack of material from Spirit until I found out that they had to cut Uis Elveti and Tegernako from their encore because of Meri's violin sound giving out at the end of their set - if that had worked out, it would've been a near-perfect setlist. :)

Thought about checking out this tour in a few weeks, but then Cro-Mags announced their first show here in over a decade for the same night.

Easy decisoin.

Anyone else seeing this?

I caught this in Worcester on Thursday night. 3IoB couldn't make it due to transportation issues. System Divide were pretty cool - they weren't received very well, but Miri is great live. I didn't like Holy Grail at all, but a good chunk of people turned out just for them, with the crowd chanting their name after literally every song. Eluveitie were fantastic and I'm glad to have finally caught them. I was disappointed in the lack of material from Spirit until I found out that they had to cut Uis Elveti and Tegernako from their encore because of Meri's violin sound giving out at the end of their set - if that had worked out, it would've been a near-perfect setlist. :)

I also caught them in Worcester, kinda wish I didn't though :erk:.

Out of the three times I saw them, I just didn't enjoy this show at all.

First off, I didn't care for either opener. System Divide was cookie cutter crap, although the female lead singer was enjoyable and did actually sound good to her credit.

I hate Holy Grail. Hated them opening for Blind Guardian and was bored again here. I can't stand that type of long hair, tight jeans, vests, and crappy mustache oh we are sooooo cool and metal - metal. Crowd really loved them though and I felt out of place amongst all of them chanting "Holy Grail" after every song...

As for Eluveitie, the last time I saw them was back in 2009 with Belphegor and Alestorm. Their show and setlist then was as close to perfection as I think I'll ever experience. Every song was perfect and the crowd was awesome, the sound was fantastic and it stands as one of my favorite performances ever.

I guess I walked in there hoping for a repeat of that night with too high expectations.

I thought the sound was pure crap (no guitars) and with the mic crapping out thru 1.5 songs, it was just a bummer. I did highly enjoy the extended version of Slania's Song (my favorite Eluveitie song) and the Anna/Meri duet songs.

Also, I thought the crowd just plan sucked. Sure moshing and crowd surfing is common, but the pit was freaking annoying and the crowd surfing was just out of control. I was up front stage right, and backed out to mid bar to watch the rest fo the show. That crowd just wasn't very friendly.

Oh well....I did have fun across the street getting food at Irish Times, which had no heat, but it was fun joking the with bartender and patrons about the cold (inside!).

I hate Holy Grail. Hated them opening for Blind Guardian and was bored again here. I can't stand that type of long hair, tight jeans, vests, and crappy mustache oh we are sooooo cool and metal - metal. Crowd really loved them though and I felt out of place amongst all of them chanting "Holy Grail" after every song...

Hah, this was my first time seeing HG and I felt the same as you. Everyone else was chanting and going crazy and I was like, "What am I missing?" It actually irritated me more than it should've when the singer was like "DO WE HAVE ANY VIKIIIIIINGS IN THE HOOOOOUSE? DOES ANYONE HAVE VIKING BLOOOOOOOD?" Dude, you're from California. You're opening for a band from Switzerland. What do vikings have to do with anything? :rolleyes:

As for Eluveitie, the last time I saw them was back in 2009 with Belphegor and Alestorm. Their show and setlist then was as close to perfection as I think I'll ever experience. Every song was perfect and the crowd was awesome, the sound was fantastic and it stands as one of my favorite performances ever.

I guess I walked in there hoping for a repeat of that night with too high expectations.

I thought the sound was pure crap (no guitars) and with the mic crapping out thru 1.5 songs, it was just a bummer. I did highly enjoy the extended version of Slania's Song (my favorite Eluveitie song) and the Anna/Meri duet songs.

Ahh, I totally understand where you're coming from - this is pretty much how I felt the second time I saw Epica here. :erk: I agree that Chrigel's mic crapping out during Thousandfold and Inis Mona really sucked, but I guess I was thankful that they at least bothered to fix it? I dunno, I'm still cynical from this one particular show I went to wherein the headliner's vocalist's mic didn't work for their entire set and nobody bothered to do anything about it. Blehh.

Also, I thought the crowd just plan sucked. Sure moshing and crowd surfing is common, but the pit was freaking annoying and the crowd surfing was just out of control. I was up front stage right, and backed out to mid bar to watch the rest fo the show. That crowd just wasn't very friendly.

Ahh, so the crowd was better last time around? I thought the most obnoxious people disappeared after HG's set, but yeah - I was in the same area as you were (second row, stage-right, next to the rail thingy in front of the speaker), and there were a few times during Eluveitie's set that were preeeetty scary... like being crushed against said railing. :ill: The people immediately around me were very cool, though, and I was pretty surprised that I managed to hold my own in that spot throughout their whole set.