A good way to judge decent music

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
If it was phenomenal in 1988, and it's still just as phenomenal today, I'd pretty much say it was 'timeless'.

Case in point: Operation Mindcrime.

Saw them last night in NYC with 'Gugs, and the ticket was worth it just for the Mindcrime material alone! Gossebumps - up and down the arms. Hairs on back of neck - standing to attention.

It's actually quite weird how good that song material is. I mean, it confuses me as to how anything could be so incredible in that 'one off' kind of situation. As good, or as bad, as the other Queensryche albums were, Mindcrime stands head and shoulders above the rest.

EEEEIIIIWWWRDSS! (copyright NAD 2004).

indeed
"Operation Mindcrime" is my favourite album of all times.
But the really lucky and enlighted one is somebody who has seen them in the tour for "Empire" where they were playing the "Operation Livecrime" that you all know.
But i think "Rage For Order" is equal (musically) if not better.OM is more emotional, deep, and intense of course.

O:M was my ultimate favorite album for about 3 years of my life. it still rules. it'd be a crime if it ever left my mind.

speaking of timeless music, me and a friend are going to see YES tuesday night. those fuckers have been around for like... 40 years. and they still kick ass (well, i'll have to wait a few days to absolutely confirm it). but goddamn... 40 years is unfathomable to me at this point.

no offense to anyone that's 40.

IOfTheStorm said:
But the really lucky and enlighted one is somebody who has seen them in the tour for "Empire" where they were playing the "Operation Livecrime" that you all know.
Yes. Hammersmith Odeon, London. In support, Lynch Mob on their Wicked Sensation tour.

One of the best concerts I've ever seen in my life. And of course, this was with Chris DeGarmo on stage playing his own material (solos, etc.).

Erik, between you not having/heard much Death, and now disclosing that you don't own and worship O:M, I'm going to have to put you on the "not talking to" list. Like BWD not talking to me until I listen to Bergtatt.

A CDR won't do it justice, honestly.

You need to read the story while listening to it. Part of Mindcrime's brilliance comes from the story, told in linear fashion. It's the best story every put to music, bar none, and I've heard them all.

markgugs said:
Erik, between you not having/heard much Death, and now disclosing that you don't own and worship O:M, I'm going to have to put you on the "not talking to" list. Like BWD not talking to me until I listen to Bergtatt.

speaking of the "not talking to: list" why have i been ignored on your AIM?

You're ignored? Not on purpose. I've been not using IM programs really at all lately; I can't at my new job, and when I get home, I just want peace and quiet for the most part. I'll check to make sure I didn't accidentally block you or something. Tweren't on purpose if I did matey.

markgugs said:

You need to read the story while listening to it. Part of Mindcrime's brilliance comes from the story, told in linear fashion. It's the best story every put to music, bar none, and I've heard them all.

THATS A GOOD ONE,YOU SHOULD START A THREAD

markgugs said:

I agree.

markgugs said:
I agree again.:wave:

"Operation: Mindcrime" is and always will be one of the greatest albums of all time.

"Rage For Order" is brilliant for its quirkiness and gothic ambiance.

I also think "Promised Land" (despite being a little bit more inconsistant) is a dark work of introspective melancholy.

markgugs said:
That's precisely why I didn't get into it. A singing storybook felt kinda wierd to me. Maybe someday I'll give it another blast...

I dont think it's necessary to get into the story to initially appreciate "Operation: Mindcrime", as most of the songs can stand alone quite fine. However, delving into the concept reveals the immense depth and craft of the album.

And markgugs is right when he claims it to be the best story ever put to music (with the possible exception of Cats).

Erik said:
Meh, I see 1000 tons of praise heaped over "Operation: Mindcrime" every day but I fear it might be gay.
I thought that for a long time, but finally picked it up. It's not gay. :)

I haven't given it nearly as many spins as I should, but I do quite enjoy the album.