A little about yourself

Dream Theater has good morals behind their music, IMO.

True, but they curse way too much. I saw them live and heard f bombs a lot from Labrie. Portnoy (who isn't with them anymore) was also a terrible swearer, especially with the GDs. I hate cursing.

True, but they curse way too much. I saw them live and heard f bombs a lot from Labrie. Portnoy (who isn't with them anymore) was also a terrible swearer, especially with the GDs. I hate cursing.

What's interesting is that in their lyrics there's rarely any swearing. I find that this fact strongly improves quality of their lyrics, and when there is an occasional swear, it's in "appropriate" places (if you can wrap your mind around that thought). The swearing is never over-using, and isn't even used in ways I'd consider offensive, except perhaps in "Burning My Soul" (in which case it was also appropriate, because it fit in with the setting/feeling, and had the correct effect).

"Honor Thy Father" is the exception to everything I just said, however. That song is full of unnecessary swearing, and I'm glad it's the only DT song like that in all their 11 albums.

What's interesting is that in their lyrics there's rarely any swearing. I find that this fact strongly improves quality of their lyrics, and when there is an occasional swear, it's in "appropriate" places (if you can wrap your mind around that thought). The swearing is never over-using, and isn't even used in ways I'd consider offensive, except perhaps in "Burning My Soul" (in which case it was also appropriate, because it fit in with the setting/feeling, and had the correct effect).

"Honor Thy Father" is the exception to everything I just said, however. That song is full of unnecessary swearing, and I'm glad it's the only DT song like that in all their 11 albums.

Either way, they act terrible with their speech. I don't want to listen to them anymore because it is just a major turnoff. As you know in my other topic, I don't approve of curse words. Whether you feel they are bad or not, it's best to just stay away from these words for the sake of everyone else.

I could list all of their songs that have any swearing in them. The list isn't long at all, and with the exception of Honor Thy Father, there's only one instance in each song. The band is built up of Christian and Jewish members, as I've mentioned before. Though they really don't act like it, you can definitely see it reflected in a lot of their music.

I could list all of their songs that have any swearing in them. The list isn't long at all, and with the exception of Honor Thy Father, there's only one instance in each song. The band is built up of Christian and Jewish members, as I've mentioned before. Though they really don't act like it, you can definitely see it reflected in a lot of their music.

I know. I used to have all their albums. My dad has them now.

I don't like the way they act. It just doesn't appeal to me (except for Myung, who hardly says a word). Hearing Portnoy use God's name in vain kind of threw me over the edge. I'd rather listen to music actually glorifying God. It's just good clean family fun.

Uhm... Hi~. You can call me a menagerie of things, as long as it's appropriate and I don't tell you specifically to call me that, but Ane and Prae would possibly work best. ;) Anyways, my username, PraetentusAnemos, came from when I was thinking of possible show names for the horse I was competing on last year.

I'm 15, 16 in March, but that doesn't really matter. I've been into music my whole life, but only really discovered metal when I was 11. I don't really care about the subgenre, as long as the instrumentals and vocals are good. However, I do still listen to other genres of music, just not as much. I also play violin, piano, and sing. I've been classically trained in all three even though it's been a while since I've had any lessons.

Horses are also a huge part of my life. I've co-trained or trained to a certain degree three different horses and am now working on my fourth, which is actually my very own. Well she's my parents' legally, but I'm doing most of the training and care with advice and tips from my trainer who's mainly on the ground. Since it's totally a God thing that we have her, I'm currently arranging for her to be dedicated.

Essentially, my whole nuclear family is Christian and has been baptized into the Seventh-Day Adventists denomination. No, we are not a cult. However, I take pride in my Jewish ancestry and will claim to be a Christ following and believing Jew, even if I have not been bat miztvah'd and can not technically become a member of a synagogue until there have been some changes... (is that the right way to put it? sometimes I think English was not meant to be my main language!)

It's extremely hard for me to choose favourites and even harder for me to remember all the things I like so... I guess I'll just list a few I like and can remember?

Bands/Musicians/Composers!
Tokio Hotel (mainly their older stuff, and yes I'm listening right now!), Rammstein, Theocracy, Nightwish (mainly with Tarja on vocals... >.> ), Turisas, Stratovarius, Dream Theater, BarlowGirl, Newsboys (particularly with Peter Furler as singer), Tyr, Disciple, Battlelore, Takanashi Yasuharu, the gazette...

Books!
Ender's Game, the Chronicles of Narnia series, Out of the Silent Planet (never got to read the second and I was unimpressed, if not disappointed, with the last of the series), Mere Christianity, Orthodoxy, the Bible...

Movies!
War Horse, How to Train Your Dragon, most all Jackie Chan movies, and... I can't think of anymore

Welp, that's it for now~!

I know. I used to have all their albums. My dad has them now.

I don't like the way they act. It just doesn't appeal to me (except for Myung, who hardly says a word). Hearing Portnoy use God's name in vain kind of threw me over the edge. I'd rather listen to music actually glorifying God. It's just good clean family fun.

I get where you're coming from, and I just want you to know that I'm not arguing with you. You're explaining why you don't listen to them, and I'm explaining why I do. I actually find them a great inspiration as a writer. On the subject of profanity in their lyrics, Portnoy wrote all of the songs containing profanity (yes, all of them), and he's not even in the band anymore. I'll certainly miss him, but not his foul mouth.

I've only seen Dream Theater once live and there was no swearing, though there certainly was from Trivium, the band who was opening...

I get where you're coming from, and I just want you to know that I'm not arguing with you. You're explaining why you don't listen to them, and I'm explaining why I do. I actually find them a great inspiration as a writer. On the subject of profanity in their lyrics, Portnoy wrote all of the songs containing profanity (yes, all of them), and he's not even in the band anymore. I'll certainly miss him, but not his foul mouth.

I've only seen Dream Theater once live and there was no swearing, though there certainly was from Trivium, the band who was opening...

What year did you see them?

I saw them in 2010(?) opening for Iron Maiden. Bruce Dickinson was a lot worse in cursing

PraetentusAnemos: welcome!

Out of the Silent Planet (never got to read the second and I was unimpressed, if not disappointed, with the last of the series)

Doh, I'm sorry to hear this. I read Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra a long time ago and never got around to the third book. Wanting to finish the whole Space Trilogy, I recently re-read Out of the Silent Planet and am soon to start Perelandra again all with the idea of finally reading the last book :bah:

PraetentusAnemos: welcome!

Doh, I'm sorry to hear this. I read Out of the Silent Planet and Perelandra a long time ago and never got around to the third book. Wanting to finish the whole Space Trilogy, I recently re-read Out of the Silent Planet and am soon to start Perelandra again all with the idea of finally reading the last book :bah:

Thanks for the welcome!

You might not think the same thing about the third book. Most everyone else seemed to love it. I was just severely unimpressed by it, as was the rest of my family. Might just be us though.

My turn I guess.

My name is Matt, I am a Christian.

Trying to read the Bible in a year (Thank you Biblegateway.com)

I am a white hat (Legal Hacker) and I like "Physical Computing" (don't know what you would call it apart from hacking).
Love Linux (epically Debian), hate Windows, despise Mac, will stand UNIX and BSD, don't mind GNU.
My IQ is in the 160's, read at 3-4,000 words per Min, also suck at spelling.
I am a bassist, and a pilot.
I run a few assorted groups including but not limited to "Project Mori" and "The Christian Hacker"
My age is of no concern to you. (Younger than 21 hows that.)
Will shoot ANY firearm given to me, and I love hunting.
Wish they would have let me just use Mori as my name.

My favorite bands are:
Tourniquet
Trouble
Seventh Avenue
Nomad Son
Harmony
Place of Skulls
and of course
Theocracy

Books:
Ted Dekker
Frank Pierette
Brian Jaques

Movies
None really

TV Shows
AirWolf
McGyver

Sadly the last concert I went to (where I was not working, er, helping) was a Newsboys one. . .in '01

Hey Mori, nice to learn a little more about you.

Reading at 3-4000 words per min is impressive.:yow:
I wonder if you would suck less at spelling if you read slower.
No hassle, just wondering.

You know, I can read between 3 and 4000 words per minute too,
only much closer to 3!:D