A long and varied career.

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
There is a certain aspect of Anathema that all fans know about, yet I feel it's worth a direct thread.

The fact that Anathema have changed musical styles at least every album, yet still release incredible albums, I feel is testimony to their greatness.

Most people visiting this forum will have an Anathema album that they love more than the others. Yet I feel that the majority of fans appreciate each album for what it is worth.

I personally don't have any pre-Vincent's vocals albums, but I know that from 'The Silent Enigma' onwards, this band has turned into my equal favourite band along with Katatonia.

So I'd just like to congratulate Anathema on continually producing albums that amaze and destroy me.

Regards,

Ben.

Originally posted by requiem
There is a certain aspect of Anathema that all fans know about, yet I feel it's worth a direct thread.

The fact that Anathema have changed musical styles at least every album, yet still release incredible albums, I feel is testimony to their greatness.

Most people visiting this forum will have an Anathema album that they love more than the others. Yet I feel that the majority of fans appreciate each album for what it is worth.

I personally don't have any pre-Vincent's vocals albums, but I know that from 'The Silent Enigma' onwards, this band has turned into my equal favourite band along with Katatonia.

So I'd just like to congratulate Anathema on continually producing albums that amaze and destroy me.

Regards,

Ben.

I do fully agree with you. I have been following Anathema ever since "The Crestfallen" came out and I like every album of theirs, some more, some less. They have ALWAYS evolved and moved forwards with every single release they have put out. Looking backwards, I think every album is a logical continuation from the previous one or two. Some people get it, some don't. Some like the old style more than the new one or vive versa. But in the end, it is just damn fine music and fans should stick to what they like and not expect the band to do what they like.

In some way ANATHEMA have always been doing what they wanted and without any commercial thoughts behind. They have been creating some of the most intense music I ever listened to and even if the new album seemed to be too simple in many ways it did not make the way out of my CD-Player any more - a good example for excellent song-writing - ! ANATHEMA have made their way out of the Doom Metal Scene but nevertheless the emotions they create with their music have never been more intense than on the last two albums. :)

That's exactly how I feel about it.
Now my only hope is that 'A Fine Day To Exit' will grow on me soon...

I personally feel that Anathema's progression isn't drastic. When taken into the light of the changes that bands such as Ulver and Fleurety have pulled off it's not that big at all. They are still dark, morose, and very progressive.

The problem with Serenades and Crestfallen is the general shortness. Serenades is only around 40 minutes if you don't listen to Dreaming: the Romance (which I usually don't). Also, I feel that My Dying Bride and Paradise Lost had better doom death, As the Flower Withers and Gothic are both incredible examples of this.

Quite frankly the shortness is not argument. Do you rate EOS Crimson. Anyway I have the US version that has both printed together.

Flower is a great record. Gothic, I don't rate it much.

You like riffs, and complain about Serenades?

Listen to it man, the guitars intertwine and wind around each other to create an atmosphere of intense, surreal suffering...

There's awesome guitar work in there.

I agree... to an extent. Serenades does have some godly guitar work, Lovelorn Rhapsody being the best example, but some moments falter, and Romance: the Dreaming is WAAY too long, 20 minutes of a simple key line. I would like Serenades more if it were more like November's Doom's Amid It's Hallowed Mirth, a nonstop onslaught of pure early 90's doom death with heart wrenching emotive guitar riffs.