A new top list!

NovembersDirge

Angry Metal Guy
Apr 18, 2001
Uppsala, Sweden
www.angrymetalguy.com
Of course, this is a metal board.. that means that every once in a while you gotta pump out a top 10 list.

So this is a question of your top 10 albums from the 2000s. (I was inspired by Metal Review doing their top 100 of the 2000s.)

Mine are as follows (though, the order is pretty arbitrary):
1. Opeth // Ghost Reveries — This is always the toughest for me. Choose which Opeth record I think most defines the modern era. I finally always decide on GR, which incidentally I hated when it came out. But it totally grew on me after that and now it's probably my favorite.
2. Katatonia // Last Fair Deal Gone Down — Again, this is tough. I love all of their modern stuff, but I think this is probably the most consistent of all their albums. Another defining record in my life, I think, too.
3. Turisas // The Varangian Way — I consistently come back to this record over and over. It pretty much represents everything that big, awesome extreme metal should be. I also think it was very much new. It combined much of that power metal and viking metal stuff that's been threatening to merge for years into a cohesive whole.
4. Vintersorg // Visions from the Spiral Generator — Again, how do you really choose? I chose this one because I think the whole album is fantastic. But they're all fantastic. It's definitely between this one and Cosmic Genesis. I chose this one 'cause I love Digorgio and Mickelson's performances.
5. Amon Amarth // Versus the World — Again a hard one to choose. But this record has some of the best tracks these guys ever wrote and some of the best melodic death metal ever.
6. Anathema // A Fine Day to Exit — This record is fucking tremendously written and perfect from first note to last note.
7. Amorphis // Eclipse — The rebirth of Amorphis is quite possibly one of the greatest things that happened in the two-thousandsies. This album, and the two that have followed since, are some of the finest metal records produced in the modern era.
8. Rhapsody // Power of the Dragonflame — Sets the bar for orchestrated, ridiculous over-the-top metal. They've never produced anything like it since, nor has anyone else for that matter.
9. Ihsahn // angL — I love Ihsahn's solo stuff. It's a perfect blend of extreme metal and prog. His writing is massively improved since being out of Emperor, in my opinion, but I'm sure there's a black metal guy on this board who will shriek in horror at those words.
10. Shining // V:/ Halmstad — This record hooked me immediately and hasn't let go.
---

Holy crap that was really hard...

Honorable mentions galore here.. I know it's cheating.... buuut all of these albums sat on this list while I was writing it and then were later removed and replaced:

Symphony X // V: A New Mythology Suite
Taake // Over Bjørgvin Graater Himmerick
Amon Amarth // With Oden On Our Side - So hard to choose between this one and Versus the World.
Enslaved // Vertebrae
Solefald // Red for Fire
BLAZE // Tenth Dimension
Opeth // Blackwater Park
Orphaned Land // Mabool

ohmy this is interesting... i had a list already but now i have to check which entries fall into the 2000s and metal category, and try to sort them a little to places... o_O

ok here goes:

1. Arcturus // Sideshow Symphonies - this one was pretty obvious: Arcturus is my First Metal Love and has an absolutely special place in my heart. I only had to choose the album, that was also easy: after seeing them live in 2005 with Simen SS is without question my top fav! ;)

2. Vintersorg // Solens Rötter & Fission // Pain Parade - i still cannot decide which one is greater :D both of them was "love at the first listen" which happens quite seldom to me... SR is an unique combination of fruity folk and weird progressive musical patterns which i haven't found anywhere else yet. PP is a great combination of everything i like and is extremely enjoyable from the very first second of it to the very last note!

4. Opeth // Damnation & Ghost Reveries - again, can't decide right now. Damnation is my old love (when i wasn't even into metal yet), but Ghost Reveries has been growing on me greatly, so probably soon it will get its higher ranking :)

6. Borknagar // Quintessence - is how i got into Borky, important point hehe. It contains the best Borknagar track ever: Embers+Revolt!

7. Agalloch // Ashes Against the Grain - best Agalloch record that contains the most tracks that make my skin crawl.

8. Yggdrasil // Kvällningsvindar över Nordrönt Land - folk metal as it should be.

9. Vintersorg // Cosmic Genesis - the reason this one didn't get higher is because i somehow feel it's too short! Not in sence of playing time, i just feel there should have been more :)

10. Alcest // Souvenirs d’un autre monde - an unique album that i like to call "sunshine metal" :D they keep telling me it's not even metal, but i don't care. it makes me soooo happy every time i hear it!

the lower part of the list is pretty sketchy, as i really don't know which one of these amazing albums is better than the other... o_O

Some killer metal stuff from this millenium, too lazy to write about them...

*edit* too long list....

Some killer metal stuff from this millenium, too lazy to write about them...

Top uhhh...11( I cannot ditch one of this one, it is like discriminating against your children(although I have none)):
Vintersorg - Cosmic genesis
Borknagar - Empiricism
Bloodbath - Resurrection through carnage
Septic flesh - Communion
Rotting Christ - Theogonia
Opeth - Ghost reveries
Katatonia - Viva Emptiness
Nevermore - Dead heart in a dead world
Devin Townsend - Terria
Orphaned land - Mabool
Pain of salvation - The perfect element

Runners up:
My dying bride - Songs of darkness, words of light
Amorphis - Skyforger
Ark - Burn the sun
Falconer- Falconer
Moonsorrow - Voimasta ja kunniasta
Symphony X - The odyssey
Sonata arctica - Winterhearts guild ( their album this year was baaaad)

It's hard enough for me to choose ten albums that stand above the rest for a decade of music, let alone ranking those ten albums, so I'll leave them listed as such:

Reverend Bizarre - In the Rectory of the Bizarre Reverend A great album that breathed new life into the doom genre. Albert is one of my favorite vocalists, and this is album has one of his best performances.

Agalloch - The Mantle This was the first Agalloch album I ever bought, and I remember spending countless hours picking apart all the different elements. Due to this, I've left it on the shelves for the latter part of this decade, but recent listens have again revealed the brilliance in this album.

Repugnant - Epitome of Darkness True death metal darkness! A fist in the face of all the slam and utter garbage "brutal death metal" acts that plagued this decade. Oozes with filth.

Ares Kingdom - Return to Dust Nevermind this recent thrash revival - Ares Kingdom is all you need. Fantastic riffs and excellent songwriting.

Deathspell Omega - Si Monumentum Requires, Circumspice A real hallmark album for black metal in this decade. This album will be remembered for sure.

Drudkh - Autumn Aurora Firmly planted in the soil from which this album is influenced from. I pulled this album out once again with the change of seasons, and it has confirmed its position as definitely one of the best.

Zemial - In Monumentum The spirit of Quorthon lives on. Songwriting with passion, which sadly seems to be missing greatly from this decade.

The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire The masters continuing what they do best. Their newest release is quickly reaching similar heights, but it's still too early to tell.

Watain - Casus Luciferi The perfect marriage of Mayhem and Dissection. Watain are on a different level when it comes to modern black metal. Seeing them live has only solidified this.

Morne - Untold Wait Even though this was released in 2009, and that it's a metal/crust mix I still think this album is fantastic! Think of a mixture of Amebix, Discharge and Neurosis. This refueled my interest in punk. Powerful and morose.

This is what I could come up with off the top of my head.

Can't rate from 1-10, but I'll list some records that really hooked me.

2000:
Vintersorg - Cosmic Genesis
The Coffinshakers - We Are The Undead
Borknagar - Quintessence

2001:
My Dying Bride - The Dreadful Hours

2002:
Thyrfing - Vansinnesvisor
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Vintersorg - Visions From The Spiral Generator

2003:
Ásmegin - Hin Vordende Sod Og Sø
Falkenbach - Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty

2004:
My Dying Bride - Songs Of Darkness, Words Of Light
Borknagar - Epic

2005:
Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Månegarm - Vredens Tid
Falkenbach - Heralding - The Fireblade

2006:
My Dying Bride - A Line Of Deathless Kings
Satyricon - Now, Diabolical

2007:
Vintersorg - Solens Rötter
Grimm - Heksenkringen
Månegarm - Vargstenen
The Coffinshakers - The Coffinshakers
Dia Psalma - Djupa Skogen

2008:
Satyricon - The Age Of Nero
Arckanum - Antikosmos
Istapp - Köldens Union
Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy (yes, I stand for this :p)

2009:
My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire
Candlemass - Death Magic Doom
Fejd - Storm
Arckanum - ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ
(note that I haven't heard Månegarm's "Nattväsen" yet)

But the 00's aren't over yet. I feel that 2010 will be a great recordyear, as listed in another topic here. :headbang:

In no particular order:

Borknagar - Quintessence
Code - Resplendent Grotesque (This one is quite new, so it might be too early to say if this should be on the list)
Ásmegin - Hin Vordende Sod og Sø
Age of Silence - Acceleration
Solefald - An Icelandic Odyssey
Bathory - Nordland
Drudkh - Lebedynyy Shlyakh (The Swan Road)
Negura Bunget - Om
Primordial - To The Nameless Dead
Vintersorg - Cosmic Genesis

Oh, and Wardruna - Gap var Ginnunga of course.

I guess my list should look something like this. Couldn't arrange them in order so I just sorted them by release year.

Ulver - Perdition City (2000)
Solefald - Pills Against the Ageless Ills (2001)
Mago - Definition of Raw Moments From a Different Perspective (2002)
Crowhead - Frozen (2002)
Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors (2002)
Manes - Vilosophe (2003)
The Kovenant - SETI (2003)
Lights Out Asia - Garmonia (2003)
Age of Silence - Acceleration (2004)
Neurosis - Given to the Rising (2007)

I have 2 lists, my top 10 all time and the 10 albums most heard lately.

My current top 10 all time (no particular order):

Burzum - Hvis Lyset Tar Oss
Ulver - Bergtatt
Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
Empyrium - Weiland
Borknagar - Empiricism
Arckanum - Kampen
Vintersorg - Till Fjälls
Vintersorg - Visions...
Empyrium - Songs of Moors & Misty Fields
Covenant - Nexus Polaris

Lately on my cd player:

Arcturus - The Sham Mirrors
Arcturus - Sideshow Symphonies
Gorgoroth - Quantos...
Samael - Above
Hypocrisy - A Taste of Extreme Divinity
The Kovenant - Animatronic
Enslaved - Blodhemn
Futures End - Memoirs of a Broken Man
Solefald - Icelandic Odyssey (pt I - II)

oh well, if you don't want to be so meticulous you can just name a few albums you absolutely love, now that shouldn't be so hard? that's also why we have last.fm :p otherwise, why bother indeed