A question about quality of guitars.

Cyanide_Anima

yooveesevenbeekay
Apr 14, 2005
everrot, WA
Recently I purchased a PRS SE custom guitar. I didn't like it much so it went back to where it came from. So, I ordered a Sterling JP100 guitar based on what I liked of the american made petrucci guitars. I've read that the quality of these Sterling instruments is great. But, I think I may have a problem with this guitar...

The first thing I noticed was the finish. The maple top isn't stained well. It's obviously uneven and there is a large spot that is brownish, presumably from the wood itself, i'm guessing. At first I was like UGH, but now doesn't seem to bug me too much, as the stain on a thin-assed maple cap isn't the most important thing on a guitar.

Second was the frets. They are not very smooth, it doesn't seem like they were machined too well. The machine seems to cut across the fret the short way, so you feel it a little when moving the strings. They are in the fretboard well, but when bending the strings there is a sort of rough texture in areas. Maybe if I played the hell out of it for a week they would smooth out? lol. It doesn't seem to affect the playability much, the tone doesn't seem to be compromised and I don't hear any weird nosies when bending strings.

Then, there is the neck joint. I know petrucci models have a deep cut so the neck joint is a little awkward. But is there supposed to be a gap between the neck and the body? ...enough to put a business card in about 1" in on the high e side? It's also pretty darn quiet unplugged, even for an electric guitar, could this be the reason? Sorry if these sound like newb questions, but I haven't played a bolt-on guitar in years (I don't play my UV7BK ever, lol. But the neck joint is basically perfect). My Schecter Hellraiser 7s and 8s are neck-throughs and have flawless frets so I wonder why a $630 guitar has so many... oddities. lol. Maybe I've lucked out on the schecters? They really do seem like much more expensive guitars.

Despite all these things what I might consider to be flaws, the sterling petrucci sounds fucking awesome plugged in. The bridge pickup is so meaty and has a nice roar and snarls when really abused.

I'm wondering if I should send it back. Would you? Anyone have any ideas for a guitar upto 850 bux that will be versitile, play great, and be of high quality as well? The weird thing is, I don't really like schecter 6 string guitars, lol.

I'm thinking I should send it back... maybe. It does sound decent. Not really caring about the finish... too much. And uhh, the frets I'm not sure what to think... I'm checking my schecters right now and they seem pretty smooth maybe 'not perfect' in a spot or two but it's hard to tell.

That neck joint sounds odd, I doubt it is supposed to be like that, but I haven't played that guitar so I wouldn't know what they are typically like. Sounds like the frets just need some crowning, take it to a luthier for that. I always work on the frets some for new guitars during their first set up.

Recently I purchased a PRS SE custom guitar. I didn't like it much so it went back to where it came from. So, I ordered a Sterling JP100 guitar based on what I liked of the american made petrucci guitars. I've read that the quality of these Sterling instruments is great. But, I think I may have a problem with this guitar...

The first thing I noticed was the finish. The maple top isn't stained well. It's obviously uneven and there is a large spot that is brownish, presumably from the wood itself, i'm guessing. At first I was like UGH, but now doesn't seem to bug me too much, as the stain on a thin-assed maple cap isn't the most important thing on a guitar.

Second was the frets. They are not very smooth, it doesn't seem like they were machined too well. The machine seems to cut across the fret the short way, so you feel it a little when moving the strings. They are in the fretboard well, but when bending the strings there is a sort of rough texture in areas. Maybe if I played the hell out of it for a week they would smooth out? lol. It doesn't seem to affect the playability much, the tone doesn't seem to be compromised and I don't hear any weird nosies when bending strings.

Then, there is the neck joint. I know petrucci models have a deep cut so the neck joint is a little awkward. But is there supposed to be a gap between the neck and the body? ...enough to put a business card in about 1" in on the high e side? It's also pretty darn quiet unplugged, even for an electric guitar, could this be the reason? Sorry if these sound like newb questions, but I haven't played a bolt-on guitar in years (I don't play my UV7BK ever, lol. But the neck joint is basically perfect). My Schecter Hellraiser 7s and 8s are neck-throughs and have flawless frets so I wonder why a $630 guitar has so many... oddities. lol. Maybe I've lucked out on the schecters? They really do seem like much more expensive guitars.

Despite all these things what I might consider to be flaws, the sterling petrucci sounds fucking awesome plugged in. The bridge pickup is so meaty and has a nice roar and snarls when really abused.

I'm wondering if I should send it back. Would you? Anyone have any ideas for a guitar upto 850 bux that will be versitile, play great, and be of high quality as well? The weird thing is, I don't really like schecter 6 string guitars, lol.

I'm thinking I should send it back... maybe. It does sound decent. Not really caring about the finish... too much. And uhh, the frets I'm not sure what to think... I'm checking my schecters right now and they seem pretty smooth maybe 'not perfect' in a spot or two but it's hard to tell.

anything you buy for 850 bucks you shouldn't have to say "its ok, i guess". If your not 100% satisfied i would return it and get something better. Better yet, go to a local music store (if you have one) and play a bunch of guitars.

Yeah, I think yer right. I think i'm going to order the real deal EBMM jp6 in mystic dream. It kinda sucks because the sterling has potential, they just have sloppy craftsmanship where they are being made. I was also thrown off by...

2ztbt79.jpg

And This...

2niu24i.jpg

nl1s7r.jpg

jqot9s.jpg

2aamyax.jpg

qyz95s.jpg

How did all this stuff get passed the QC? I dunno if you guys can see the frets but, jeeez. They are starting to flatten out after 45 mins of shredding, though, lol. But looking at this guitar makes me a sad panda.