A Question about Vocals on EToS

Deveianse

May 24, 2011
Vienna, Austria
Does anyone else think that the harsh vocals or whatever they have to be just suck compared to anything else? The instrumental part is amazing, as the clean vocals and lyrics are, but the guy who is trying to scream or growl isn't doing a good job in my opinion.

I recently found this band and I really love everything expect his harsh vocals :< Giving quite a lot of tries to like them but I just can't, good thing there are a lot of non vocal parts

Umm, no I don't think "suck" is the right word. They're not so powerful compared to other growlers, but Altti developed over the years and after their reunion I think his voice is notably stronger. It's still not one of the strongest elements of EToS music, but I'm a fan of Altti's music and got used to it through the course of time...

What are you talking about, Deveianse??? Altti's growling is so great and full of emotion, couldn't imagine EToS with any other voice.

However, more clean vocals wouldn't hurt, and hopefully the new album will have more of Jarmo's singing as well. :)

The vocals are weak and bad--you compare him to a guy like Mikael Stanne or Christian Alvestrom, then he sounds like he's an absolute beginner.

However, I think it's this lack of a "good scream" that makes his vocals so effective. Think about it--death metal vocals are supposed to sound volatile and harsh. When you've got a guy like early Pekka Kokko or Altti from EToS, because their vocals are so bad sounding, I actually think it makes them more effective, because they sound way more volatile and disgusting than, say, guys like Mikael or Christian. Sure, nothing beats a ridiculously powerful and epic sounding death metal growl, but I truly think that guys like Altti still have a place among vocalists, because their screams sound just as volatile and, well--death-like--as the screamers who are considered to be the best of their generations.

It definitely does take some getting used to...I will admit that. But I really like them. Altti has also gotten A LOT better recently, especially on the new album. During the chorus of Midnight Bird was the first time I really noticed it, but his lows are actually quite powerful, now!