Clean Vocals: automatically equal cheesy song?

clean vocals are not more cheesy than growls or screams

ther are lots of good bands with clean vocals:

Candlemass
Solitude Aeturnus
Primordial
Katatonia
Wuthering Heights
Root
Nevermore
Iron Maiden
Doomsword
Falconer
+ many others

The problem is that clean vocals are always sung in the style of the times and so they will always age badly.
In metal this was largely:
70's=whining or nasally high pitched
80's=over the top or falsetto
90's=sensitive new age guy or forced grungey, throaty shit
The only thing I don't find cheesy is modern stuff, this applied 10 years ago as it does now. As long as the aging fashions of 10 years ago don't bother you, it's not a problem.

The problem is that clean vocals are always sung in the style of the times and so they will always age badly.
In metal this was largely:
70's=whining or nasally high pitched
80's=over the top or falsetto
90's=sensitive new age guy or forced grungey, throaty shit

Way to generalize entire decades' worth of music.

You're just fucking wrong, there's no need to "prove" it. Making baseless and/or oversimplified generalizations never helped any argument ever.

Okay, maybe I went too far with that. My point was that there were trends throughout certain periods, which really had nothing to do with my argument about clean vocals, so we can scrap it.

If I had to recommend some power metal that I didn' think was cheesy, I would say, right off the bat:

Kiuas
Falconer
Sabaton

I never really get a cheesy feeling when I listen to them; only a mix of majesty and absolute badass(ness)!

I really can't recommend Kiuas enough. If anyone hasn't heard them, here's their myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=71198016

falconer is almost cheesier than Rhapsody :X

and Kiuas has like the worst voice ever :lol:

depends on the band. a lot of the traditional doom metal I listen to has all clean vocals, and it kicks ass. Judas Priest, Angel Witch and Iron Maiden have clean vocals as well, and they are all awesome.

falconer is almost cheesier than Rhapsody :X

and Kiuas has like the worst voice ever :lol:

Ohhhh man, It's on!

Someone earlier mentioned Falconer's new release, 'Northwind,' and I have to admit that I may have underestimated the cheesiness of their lyrics. But I guess what I mean is that his voice is so powerful and middle-ranged (unlike the falsetto/soprano vocals of Rhapsody) that it reduces the cheesiness. His delivery makes all the difference.

And how on earth can you say that Ilja from Kiuas has a terrible voice!? I pray that :lol: means you're joking. It's one of the ballsiest voices I've ever heard! And his lyrics are good too, in my opinion.

I downloaded one CD after much KIuas praise and was immediately turned off, its really crap.

And Falconer's been cheesy since the first album??