Clean Vocals: automatically equal cheesy song?

Clean vocals do NOT equal cheese. To me cheese, equals silly lrics and/or effects. For example, Helloween's Rise and Fall is a cheesy song, because it has silly effects, and the whole atmosphere of the song as a whole is just so silly, including the chorus.

Comes down to who you are, alot of people find Silencer cheesy due to the vocals, though personally I think the screams on 'Death - Pierce Me' are damn good. Lots of other factors can make songs cheesy as well, e.g. keyboards.

I think clean vocals are generally just cheesy when it comes to power metal and that's it.

dosnt matter if its clean,scream,raw,growl, it can all be cheesy at some point.

The problem is that clean vocals are always sung in the style of the times and so they will always age badly.
In metal this was largely:
70's=whining or nasally high pitched
80's=over the top or falsetto
90's=sensitive new age guy or forced grungey, throaty shit
The only thing I don't find cheesy is modern stuff, this applied 10 years ago as it does now. As long as the aging fashions of 10 years ago don't bother you, it's not a problem.

thats not true, not even close

Depends on the singer.

There are some singers that sound like they got punched in the nutsack one too many times (ZP Theart is the first to come to mind), and those are usually the ones that end up making a song cheesy.

But there are also a ton of others that stomp ass, such as Matt Barlow, early Ozzy (ie; first three Sab albums), Johan Langqvist, etc.

Depends on the singer.

There are some singers that sound like they got punched in the nutsack one too many times (ZP Theart is the first to come to mind), and those are usually the ones that end up making a song cheesy.

But there are also a ton of others that stomp ass, such as Matt Barlow, early Ozzy (ie; first three Sab albums), Johan Langqvist, etc.

And Ilja Jalkanen from Kiuas, :kickass:

^True; Kamelot totally refined what Maiden was doing. They made that style of vocalism not cheesy (in my opinion; cause Khan is fuckin' awesome).