a question for Mikael about the Moor error

discouraged1

disco my arse!
May 24, 2001
Belgrade, Serbia
www.myspace.com
I have a question for Mikael or anyone else who could give me an answer.

I've noticed some malfunction in the Moor, it seems like some tracks aren't working well.
It is coming along over the all instruments between 5.21 - 6.00, where "All the faces turned away and all would sneer at my demise" verses are sung.
You might not notice it immediately, but pay attention to the right speaker (or play the right speaker only), espicially on parts at 5.29, 5.42 and 5.48.

I found the similar errors in WC also:)) I mean White Cluster), fortunately they are of lower intensity, at 0.25 and 0.40.

The songs aren't ruined (they can't be spoiled by anything, they are that good), it is just this bothering me what it is.

Cheerz

That really bothers me, during the best part of the song you know... :mad:

There's also a similar error towards the end in Face Of Melinda...don't remember the seconds, but it's quite short anyway.

Originally posted by discouraged1
I've noticed some malfunction in the Moor, it seems like some tracks aren't working well.
It is coming along over the all instruments between 5.21 - 6.00, where "All the faces turned away and all would sneer at my demise" verses are sung.
You might not notice it immediately, but pay attention to the right speaker (or play the right speaker only), espicially on parts at 5.29, 5.42 and 5.48.

yea man, I noticed that the first time I listened to it. It's a shame but it's easy to overlook. I thought it was just my disk.

Satori

Have you noticed how the production on BWP big is?
I mean, really BIG.
Compare it to ANY metal album in your collection and you'll find how Opeth's guitars are stronger than any others' bands.

One friend of mine noticed Opeth have better (bigger) production than Metallica.
He has heard Opeth even got some financial support from their homeland's SOMETHING(maybe ministry of culture, like Ulver:) ).........that's really nice when country backs up your work.

What do you mean by "is it only on the CD?"????
You have a vynil or something?:( :(
It should be on CD, tape or vynil, whatever.
Pay attention to the right speaker (or try to play just right one)
and you will hear some malfunction with the sound of hihats, cymbals etc.

Take it easy:) :)

Argh! This little error annoys the hell out of me whenever I listen to Still Life on headphones (very often at night). I've always wondered if it was just my CD, but apparently not :) I haven't noticed it on the other songs though.

By the way, Hello.. I'm new here. I've been reading this forum for a few weeks now and finally got around to registering as a member (mostly to reply to this post *shrug*). Looks like I'll be putting in my 2 cents from now on..

I was going to say something about little "studio funnies." Like on Face of Melinda. Ya know how Lopez uses something other than drum sticks on the beginning portion of Face of Melinda? Well, around the 5-minute point, around when he switches to sticks, he does the silliest shit with those things. Like, sliding them over the drums. You can hear it with the headphones. It's really fuck up sounding. I liked it.

The other thing, again with headphones, listen to the 5 minute point again on...shit! ARH! I don't have time right now...but, it's either SPD or WC. There's a repetitive acoustic part...it goes about 6 times. They all play out of the left speaker, and on like the 4th one, it switches to the right once and then it goes back to the left for the rest. It seemed like a "studio funny” they might have done...to me anyhow.

LYNN

wow... so ppl DID notice the error... all these years, I've been telling my friend about it and he had no idea what it was!! At first, I couldn't tell the errors from my car stereo or regular speakers...until I used my headphones. I actually went out and bought a new headphone and it still did that!! It annoyed the hell out of me. As far as the production goes, I think Still Life is okay. it's much better than MAYH (in my opinion). Speaking of sound, I still think Entombed's Wolverine Blues has the best damn drum sounds i've ever heard. It's intense! Anybody disagree?

I'm glad I am not the only one who noticed the errors, I am happy there are many good ears out there.....
:)
Actually, every Opeth listener has very good ears, otherwise one wouldn't listen to them....

Yeah, the WC part:D is very impressive, there are 3 times acoustic on the left, then the fourth on the right speaker; the next 4 are on the left and then soooooo goddamn heavy distortions blow everyfuckingthing up and we are sticked to our ceiling :)

There is another error in WC, check out 'White Cluster great discovery' on this same forum.

Stay tuned;)

Originally posted by Opet
I was going to say something about little "studio funnies." Like on Face of Melinda. Ya know how Lopez uses something other than drum sticks on the beginning portion of Face of Melinda? Well, around the 5-minute point, around when he switches to sticks, he does the silliest shit with those things. Like, sliding them over the drums. You can hear it with the headphones. It's really fuck up sounding. I liked it.

LYNN

It's a fairly common musical device in jazz. They use brushes on the snare or something. They're probably the only metal band ever to do that, heheh.

Yeh I bet he's delighted that you brought it back into the public domain. :D

No album is ever finished from a production point of view, just abandoned due to time/money constraints. Yes, I'm sure even Opeth have a limit to their recording budget. If at one point after three weeks of mixdown a producer realises that something (eg microphone) has malfunctioned, he can hardly ask the whole band to come back, set up and record again! There's errors on pretty much every instance of recorded music I would guess (I haven't heard them all;) ). I'm fairly sure that Mikael would say something similar.

What's worse is that errors become apparent after having listened to something for the hundredth time, so you never catch them all. That or he'd just blame Fredrik Nordstrom.;)