A Question for NK

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
NK,

I noticed you weighed in on the issue of the producer's role in the blame game, that follows a release that fails to meet expectations. Clearly, there is quite a sound difference between "Dreaming Neon Black" and "Dead Heart in a Dead World". My question is this, what percent of that difference is due to the producer's style and what percent is due to what the band was after on the particular CD? And maybe to ask it another way, all modesty aside, had you produced "Dead Heart", how different do you think it would sound from the way it turned out?

Thanks. I look forward to reading your response.

GZ

Actually, the reason I didn't do DH was simply because the band was interested in trying a different sound. I spoke to Warrel several months before we were due to start DH and he said that the band were wondering if we could try doing some new things for the new album, sound-wise. I told him that yes of course we could try doing things completely differently, but that I found it fairly likely that as we had collaborated on every Nevermore release up to that point, the new album might well sound similar again. So, I actually suggested that if they wanted to go a completely different route, then it might be a good idea to try working with someone completely new. That's not because I didn't want to work with them, don't get me wrong, but I believe that every artist deserves to grow. I definitely didn't want to be the one to hold them back from trying out new things. I think DH sounded fantastic, and I'm glad it added a new flavour to the band's sound.

I'd say that the producer/engineer (as both Andy and I are) have a big effect on how albums sound. He and I do things less differently these days though, as I'm now a full-fledged member of the Pro Tools clan, whereas for a long while he and I teased each other about our different approaches to recording and mixing. I think Andy is one of the best out there.

However, in many cases, even if an album sounds fantastic, but the record fails dismally, the producer usually ends up being the fall guy. That's just the way it works. It's not something to be bitter about - you just have to go in with that expecation, rather like a sports coach that has a bad season - they get fired too!

:)

Neil K.

remember me neil, first song off the first cd is still teh best..

I would have to say, that your a better sound man, one of the best, and andy is good at mixing.

What are your thoughts ondave wyndorf, form monster magnet, i think he is up with you.

I still think they should use Neil again, unless, like I said, they visited Sweden and borrowed Nordstrom for an album or two.

If they were going to use someone new, I'd like to see them wotk with someone like Devin Townsend. However, I'm betting after the production disaster the EoR has become, at least in the eyes of many of the fans, I'd be surprised if they don't use Neil or Andy for the next disc.

GZ